• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

By the end of their careers who do you think will be the better batsman? Cook or AB?

Who will be better in both formats (vote twice)

• Total voters

Rush

Banned
In my mind, these two along with Amla are probably the best batsman under 30 in the world right now. And whilst Cook has had the more accomplished career of the two, I still feel that there is more to come from de Villiers. So who do you think will have the better career?

Edit: Vote twice, once for tests, once for ODIs

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
AB in ODIs is a no-brainer; has the greater repertoire of shot and is a better manipulator of the ball than Cook.

Tests is a harder call; instinctively I'd say AB again because he does look the more naturally gifted batsman but then so does Pietersen when compared to Cook and look how that's panning out.

Partly I suspect it'll depend how long de Villiers goes on for. As the batter with the technique that looks more dependent on eyes and reflexes his decline could be steeper when he gets to his mid 30s. Ponting's downturn when compared to Kallis or Sachin is an example of the same. Chaps with the quirkier techniques always manage worse when anno domini dulls nature's gifts.

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
I really rate AB devilliers high but he does not perform consistently - But when he does, its so awesome - also that Ab is one of the Chokers, with the team collapsing I do not see him performing (Maybe I am wrong but it is my general thought about him)

However Cook is more steady, more reliable and the one who takes pressure on himself and I generally feel he is going to score when he is there at the pitch. He does not go for the 'beautiful'/naturally gifted shots but he keeps on scoring effectively which for me matters more than some lovely cuts/cover drives.

So I would prefer watching Devilliers scoring but I would generally prefer cook for his consistency.

Its difficult to vote though.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
In my mind, these two along with Amla are probably the best batsman under 30 in the world right now. And whilst Cook has had the more accomplished career of the two, I still feel that there is more to come from de Villiers. So who do you think will have the better career?

Edit: Vote twice, once for tests, once for ODIs
Gambhir? Though i guess he is approaching 30.

Out of these 2 in ODI's it is clearly De Villiers ,while in tests it is extremely difficult to choose.

While I agree with what Brumby has said ,i still think De Villiers has more natural talent than Cook.

Rush

Banned
Gambhir? Though i guess he is approaching 30.

Out of these 2 in ODI's it is clearly De Villiers ,while in tests it is extremely difficult to choose.

While I agree with what Brumby has said ,i still think De Villiers has more natural talent than Cook.
Gambhir would be up there but yeah as you said in a couple of months he will be 30 whereas the other two are 26/27

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
ab in odis is a no-brainer; has the greater repertoire of shot and is a better manipulator of the ball than cook.

Tests is a harder call; instinctively i'd say ab again because he does look the more naturally gifted batsman but then so does pietersen when compared to cook and look how that's panning out.

Partly i suspect it'll depend how long de villiers goes on for. As the batter with the technique that looks more dependent on eyes and reflexes his decline could be steeper when he gets to his mid 30s. Ponting's downturn when compared to kallis or sachin is an example of the same. Chaps with the quirkier techniques always manage worse when anno domini dulls nature's gifts.
awta

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's very tight in tests. Cook hasn't been in the top echelon of batsmen for anywhere near as long as AB, but he was a much better batsman beforehand than AB was. He's had a lot more technical problems in the past that might well come back at some stage, but he also has a noticeably better temperament than AB. Batting in South Africa is quite a bit harder than batting in England, but Cook has to open and you have to expect he'll get owned a lot against the new ball at home.

I prefer AB but if I have to make the call I'll say Cook by a neck. There's a ruthlessness about him that AB doesn't quite have- unless the bowler finds the perfect spot he makes no mistakes whatsoever. It might be current-form bias but I think he's played and missed about twice since last summer.

That said, I'd be surprised if they both don't have hugely successful test careers.

Rush

Banned
It's very tight in tests. Cook hasn't been in the top echelon of batsmen for anywhere near as long as AB, but he was a much better batsman beforehand than AB was. He's had a lot more technical problems in the past that might well come back at some stage, but he also has a noticeably better temperament than AB. Batting in South Africa is quite a bit harder than batting in England, but Cook has to open and you have to expect he'll get owned a lot against the new ball at home.

I prefer AB but if I have to make the call I'll say Cook by a neck. There's a ruthlessness about him that AB doesn't quite have- unless the bowler finds the perfect spot he makes no mistakes whatsoever. It might be current-form bias but I think he's played and missed about twice since last summer.

That said, I'd be surprised if they both don't have hugely successful test careers.
Sorry, just to clarify, does that mean that before AB was in the top echelon, he was a weaker batsman than when AC wasn't in the top echelon?

Howe_zat

Audio File
The best thing about Cook is his capacity to make a hundred even when he's out of form, such as his eye-wateringly stoic effort in Durban. AB looks the better batsman but he doesn't seemm to have that.

I'm not sure about batting in SA being harder than England. Opening the batting here is typically one of the toughest jobs in cricket, surely?

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
AB in ODIs is a no-brainer; has the greater repertoire of shot and is a better manipulator of the ball than Cook.

Tests is a harder call; instinctively I'd say AB again because he does look the more naturally gifted batsman but then so does Pietersen when compared to Cook and look how that's panning out.

Partly I suspect it'll depend how long de Villiers goes on for. As the batter with the technique that looks more dependent on eyes and reflexes his decline could be steeper when he gets to his mid 30s. Ponting's downturn when compared to Kallis or Sachin is an example of the same. Chaps with the quirkier techniques always manage worse when anno domini dulls nature's gifts.

Wouldn't say always tbh ,though i agree probably with what you are saying.

Dravid ,Lara and Laxman all exceptions to this rule one way or the other to different extents.

Spark

Global Moderator
As much as I would absolutely love to say ABdV in both formats, I'm not sure I can...

Uppercut

The best thing about Cook is his capacity to make a hundred even when he's out of form, such as his eye-wateringly stoic effort in Durban. AB looks the better batsman but he doesn't seemm to have that.

I'm not sure about batting in SA being harder than England. Opening the batting here is typically one of the toughest jobs in cricket, surely?
It's tougher than most countries but certainly not as tough as batting in South Africa.

Going statistically- in England, 35 runs are scored for every wicket taken and in South Africa they only manage 30.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
de Villiers is the obvious choice in ODI's but I reckon Cook would edge it in tests by the end of his career. He's more of a grafter and there aren't enough good bowlers around to get him out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wouldn't say always tbh ,though i agree probably with what you are saying.

Dravid ,Lara and Laxman all exceptions to this rule one way or the other to different extents.
Dravid tailing off despite a very orthodox, rock-solid technique would seem to be something of an exception, yes.

Would say VVS and BCL, despite their eye catching signature shots both have/had basic techniques that are very correct underpining it all tho. Neither has an obvious flaw like (say) Ponting (head falling away to the off side early on) or, further down the food chain, Phillip Hughes or Matt Prior.

Top_Cat

Cook in Tests and by some distance, tbh. Don't think AB is actually as good as he looks.

EDIT: Doh, picked the wrong poll option.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Cook in Tests and by some distance, tbh. Don't think AB is actually as good as he looks.

EDIT: Doh, picked the wrong poll option.
Not really. People tend to forget Cook's terrible form just before the Ashes. It was so bad it wasn't even funny. His momma's prayers probably helped him stay in otherwise would have gotten kicked out last year after the series with Pakistan. And it wasn't that he was coming into the Pakistan series in great form IIRC. Might well have gotten kicked out back then