Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Most Intelligent Cricketer

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Although I agree on the general point that Dhoni is a reasonable defensive captain, having a boundary rider to a spinner isn't a defensive move as such. It's a move which attempts to eliminate a player's 'go to' shot, and makes them think of other areas to score where they may not be so strong in.
    Indeed, but he had 3-4 boundary riders on the on side before Sammy had scored a run.

Considering the match situation it was bewildering to see the field scatter for a batsmen who averages under 20 and hasn't scored a test half century yet just because in a one off instance he cleared the boundary rope a couple times
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Sorry. It's a university degree classification. In the UK we have first class honours degrees, higher second class, lower second class, third class & ordinary non-honours degrees.

In order to obtain a "double first" one must achieve first-class honours in two separate subjects in the same exams. They're only awarded by the Oxbridge unis.
    I think Jehan Mubarak @ UOC achieved that feat. Was batch top IIRC.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Dr. WG Grace and VVS Laxman are also physicians.

vcs
    Kumble is a software engineer, and we all know they are the most intelligent people around.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Although I agree on the general point that Dhoni is a reasonable defensive captain, having a boundary rider to a spinner isn't a defensive move as such. It's a move which attempts to eliminate a player's 'go to' shot, and makes them think of other areas to score where they may not be so strong in.
    AWTA.

IIRC Vaughan did it against Gilchrist a few times; immediately put a deep point in to eliminate his go-to shot. He got crucified for defensive captaincy and setting fields for bad bowling at the time, but it was a pretty sound tactical move.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Dr. WG Grace and VVS Laxman are also physicians.
    Laxman isn't, tbh. He hasn't completed his MBBS. Cricket came in the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

State Vice-Captain
    i imagine that sangakkara also qualifies.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    Indeed, but he had 3-4 boundary riders on the on side before Sammy had scored a run.

Considering the match situation it was bewildering to see the field scatter for a batsmen who averages under 20 and hasn't scored a test half century yet just because in a one off instance he cleared the boundary rope a couple times
    Having a few boundary fielders to batsmen like Sammy or Afridi is often the most aggressive move.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    having a few boundary fielders to batsmen like sammy or afridi is often the most aggressive move.
    i dont neccessarily think it is. He really doesn't score in that region too often aside from a one off innings. The easiest way to get sammy out against a spinner is to pack fielders in close, hoping for a pop up catch. Putting fielders immediately on the boundary lifted the pressure.

i dont neccessarily think it is. He really doesn't score in that region too often aside from a one off innings. The easiest way to get sammy out against a spinner is to pack fielders in close, hoping for a pop up catch. Putting fielders immediately on the boundary lifted the pressure.
    From the little I've seen of batsman Sammy, he looks like a poor man's Afridi to me, who often looks to play aerial shots in the legside and isn't too comfortable playing the rotating game. Placing some boundary fielders, if anything, only adds pressure to these kind of batsmen (unlike a Sachin or a Dravid or a Kallis - or even a Jayasuriya or Gilchrist or Sehwag).
    Last edited by weldone; 13-07-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    from the little i've seen of batsman sammy, he looks like a poor man's afridi to me, who often looks to play aerial shots in the legside and isn't too comfortable playing the rotating game. Placing some boundary fielders, if anything, only adds pressure to these kind of batsmen (unlike a sachin or a dravid or a kallis - or even a jayasuriya or gilchrist or sehwag).
    i still don't think it's the best method to dismiss him when you have a long off deep backward square leg and deep mid wicket straight away

Regardless of what tactics either of us think are right, i still think dhoni is guilty of ball following far too often.

Regardless of what tactics either of us think are right, i still think dhoni is guilty of ball following far too often.
    Yeah, regarding field placements Dhoni is a reactive captain rather than proactive. But again, in that case, being wrongly proactive is always worse than being rightly reactive.

In stock market jargons, it's like the difference between bad fundamental research and good technical research. Of course good fundamental research is better than both IMO.

Similarly, being rightly proactive in field placements (anticipating a situation correctly beforehand, and changing the placements accordingly) is the best way to go. But I've seen very few captains achieving that consistently (Steve Waugh and probably Wasim Akram). And when anticipations go wrong, proactive field placements can hurt very badly.

Banned
    I didn't criticise his decision to secure the draw and the series win, but he's a pretty defensive captain sometimes. I'm always shocked when a relatively new batsmen hits a 4 and Dhoni immediately places a boundary rider there or a long on.

When Sammy came into bat in one of his brief innings he was greeted with three boundary riders facing Bhaji because he'd smacked a couple sixes the previous match.
    That post wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular, mate. Just a general post. I don;t disagree that Dhoni is a little too defensive at times FTR.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information