• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Intelligent Cricketer

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Although I agree on the general point that Dhoni is a reasonable defensive captain, having a boundary rider to a spinner isn't a defensive move as such. It's a move which attempts to eliminate a player's 'go to' shot, and makes them think of other areas to score where they may not be so strong in.
Indeed, but he had 3-4 boundary riders on the on side before Sammy had scored a run.

Considering the match situation it was bewildering to see the field scatter for a batsmen who averages under 20 and hasn't scored a test half century yet just because in a one off instance he cleared the boundary rope a couple times

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry. It's a university degree classification. In the UK we have first class honours degrees, higher second class, lower second class, third class & ordinary non-honours degrees.

In order to obtain a "double first" one must achieve first-class honours in two separate subjects in the same exams. They're only awarded by the Oxbridge unis.
I think Jehan Mubarak @ UOC achieved that feat. Was batch top IIRC.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kumble is a software engineer, and we all know they are the most intelligent people around. :smartass: :whistling

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Although I agree on the general point that Dhoni is a reasonable defensive captain, having a boundary rider to a spinner isn't a defensive move as such. It's a move which attempts to eliminate a player's 'go to' shot, and makes them think of other areas to score where they may not be so strong in.
AWTA.

IIRC Vaughan did it against Gilchrist a few times; immediately put a deep point in to eliminate his go-to shot. He got crucified for defensive captaincy and setting fields for bad bowling at the time, but it was a pretty sound tactical move.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed, but he had 3-4 boundary riders on the on side before Sammy had scored a run.

Considering the match situation it was bewildering to see the field scatter for a batsmen who averages under 20 and hasn't scored a test half century yet just because in a one off instance he cleared the boundary rope a couple times
Having a few boundary fielders to batsmen like Sammy or Afridi is often the most aggressive move.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
having a few boundary fielders to batsmen like sammy or afridi is often the most aggressive move.
i dont neccessarily think it is. He really doesn't score in that region too often aside from a one off innings. The easiest way to get sammy out against a spinner is to pack fielders in close, hoping for a pop up catch. Putting fielders immediately on the boundary lifted the pressure.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
i dont neccessarily think it is. He really doesn't score in that region too often aside from a one off innings. The easiest way to get sammy out against a spinner is to pack fielders in close, hoping for a pop up catch. Putting fielders immediately on the boundary lifted the pressure.
From the little I've seen of batsman Sammy, he looks like a poor man's Afridi to me, who often looks to play aerial shots in the legside and isn't too comfortable playing the rotating game. Placing some boundary fielders, if anything, only adds pressure to these kind of batsmen (unlike a Sachin or a Dravid or a Kallis - or even a Jayasuriya or Gilchrist or Sehwag).

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
from the little i've seen of batsman sammy, he looks like a poor man's afridi to me, who often looks to play aerial shots in the legside and isn't too comfortable playing the rotating game. Placing some boundary fielders, if anything, only adds pressure to these kind of batsmen (unlike a sachin or a dravid or a kallis - or even a jayasuriya or gilchrist or sehwag).
i still don't think it's the best method to dismiss him when you have a long off deep backward square leg and deep mid wicket straight away

Regardless of what tactics either of us think are right, i still think dhoni is guilty of ball following far too often.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Regardless of what tactics either of us think are right, i still think dhoni is guilty of ball following far too often.
Yeah, regarding field placements Dhoni is a reactive captain rather than proactive. But again, in that case, being wrongly proactive is always worse than being rightly reactive.

In stock market jargons, it's like the difference between bad fundamental research and good technical research. Of course good fundamental research is better than both IMO.

Similarly, being rightly proactive in field placements (anticipating a situation correctly beforehand, and changing the placements accordingly) is the best way to go. But I've seen very few captains achieving that consistently (Steve Waugh and probably Wasim Akram). And when anticipations go wrong, proactive field placements can hurt very badly.

Blaze 18

Banned
I didn't criticise his decision to secure the draw and the series win, but he's a pretty defensive captain sometimes. I'm always shocked when a relatively new batsmen hits a 4 and Dhoni immediately places a boundary rider there or a long on.

When Sammy came into bat in one of his brief innings he was greeted with three boundary riders facing Bhaji because he'd smacked a couple sixes the previous match.
That post wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular, mate. Just a general post. I don;t disagree that Dhoni is a little too defensive at times FTR.