• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pankaj Singh

Does Pankaj Singh deserve to play for India currently??

• Total voters

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps Pankaj Singh paid for that outburst.
Awana had two five-fors in consecutive matches and a score of 70 with the bat. Pankaj didn't come out to bowl until later in the second day, and Rajasthan missed the previous round, on a break.

shankar

International Debutant
Awana had two five-fors in consecutive matches and a score of 70 with the bat. Pankaj didn't come out to bowl until later in the second day, and Rajasthan missed the previous round, on a break.
Ahh. But he has been performing consistently for much longer than Awana, no?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ahh. But he has been performing consistently for much longer than Awana, no?
Better record over a longer period of time and has been more prolific in recent seasons. Awana has pretty much nothing going for him over Pankaj.

tooextracool

International Coach
zaheer khan is finished guys. he's what 34/35 and has been slow for the past 2 yrs and therefore ineffective.
Fairly sure he was quicker than Anderson and Broad in Mumbai. I dont know how hes bowled any worse than any of the other Indian bowlers to be honest, in the right conditions he'd still be dangerous.

shankar

International Debutant
Fairly sure he was quicker than Anderson and Broad in Mumbai. I dont know how hes bowled any worse than any of the other Indian bowlers to be honest, in the right conditions he'd still be dangerous.
Absolutely. He's bowling better than he did in the NZ series and is quick enough to be effective if he can get the ball swinging/reversing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'll take your word for it. Last I saw him was in Australia where he looked raw, potentially very exciting but not yet ready for this level.
Well just look at his stats so far I guess. Did well in the first test on a deck not suited to pace bowling, and has been injured in the 2nd and 3rd and India looked pretty toothless.

Not saying by any stretch that India would have won with him in the team, since it has been India's batting that has folded and let the team down, but I think averaging 32 considering the pitches he's bowled on and/or the shellackings he has been a part of in Australia, is very impressive.

tooextracool

International Coach
I dont think India realize just how poorly they batted in the first innings. The pitch was ripe to bat on, Anderson and Finn barely got the ball to move or bounce off the straight, while Panesar and Swann got absolutely no purchase off the pitch. The reason India lost is not because of their bowlers, bur because none of their batsmen failed to capitalize.

It seems to me completely ridiculous to prepare rank turners at home and then make Zaheer scapegoat for not showing up. I thought there were several spells where he honestly looked like and probably deserved to take wickets. This Zaheer turning into a trundler overnight is one of the biggest myths as he was bowling high 70s in SA in early 2011 while raking in all those wickets.Not to mention that he was the pick of all the pace bowlers as recently as the first test of this series.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont think India realize just how poorly they batted in the first innings. The pitch was ripe to bat on, Anderson and Finn barely got the ball to move or bounce off the straight, while Panesar and Swann got absolutely no purchase off the pitch. The reason India lost is not because of their bowlers, bur because none of their batsmen failed to capitalize.

It seems to me completely ridiculous to prepare rank turners at home and then make Zaheer scapegoat for not showing up. I thought there were several spells where he honestly looked like and probably deserved to take wickets. This Zaheer turning into a trundler overnight is one of the biggest myths as he was bowling high 70s in SA in early 2011 while raking in all those wickets.Not to mention that he was the pick of all the pace bowlers as recently as the first test of this series.
Zaheer's also had one or two dropped catches off his bowling in the NZ series as well as this one. I think it's the fact that he can't field that's sort of given the impression that he's unfit. Even though he can bowl perfectly well in the test matches in terms of # of overs etc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Zaheer being an awful fielder and a batsman who cbf has hurt him. And that's all his doing.

No sympathy. He gave Indian cricket so much over the last 5 years but in modern day cricket you can't just rock up and bowl and not bother with anything else.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
At the end of this series, Ishant may be phased out, so Pankaj still has a chance.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well just look at his stats so far I guess. Did well in the first test on a deck not suited to pace bowling, and has been injured in the 2nd and 3rd and India looked pretty toothless.

Not saying by any stretch that India would have won with him in the team, since it has been India's batting that has folded and let the team down, but I think averaging 32 considering the pitches he's bowled on and/or the shellackings he has been a part of in Australia, is very impressive.
IMO Yadav's big problem in Australia was that he simply bowled too many "hit me" balls. He's clearly got the raw attributes, so if he's developed his bowling so he's not giving away as many freebies every spell then he's definitely worth sticking with.

mugshot

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pankaj deserves to play in my humble opinion, he is not a big hitter who grabs headlines but looks consistant to me....compared to some of the other players.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO Yadav's big problem in Australia was that he simply bowled too many "hit me" balls. He's clearly got the raw attributes, so if he's developed his bowling so he's not giving away as many freebies every spell then he's definitely worth sticking with.
Hit me balls are part of the kind of bowler he is though, he's a wicket taking bowler and he will have spell's where he's leaking runs, but as long as he can get us the breakthroughs regularly I think it's more than worth it, we have enough containment type of bowlers as it is, it's rare that we get a bowler who can produce a wicket out of no where.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hit me balls are part of the kind of bowler he is though, he's a wicket taking bowler and he will have spell's where he's leaking runs, but as long as he can get us the breakthroughs regularly I think it's more than worth it, we have enough containment type of bowlers as it is, it's rare that we get a bowler who can produce a wicket out of no where.
And when we do they always have big nostrils

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Arjun, where's Praveen? Why can't he get a game?
Praveen hasn't played more than one match for his State team in this season's Ranji, and I'm not sure if he's even fit enough to run 100 metres at the ground, let alone play five-day cricket.

Pankaj, on the other hand, is 100% fit. He just had one poor game this season, which was after Awana was picked over him. Maybe the next game will be good.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't seen him play but heard today that he has gained pace this season, after working with Meyrick Pringle.

Is bowling 135 to 140 Km consistently. If true, then selectors really must his face or something.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Indian selectors seem to have something against people who have played enough FC cricket to have figured out their game, worked out their strengths and weaknesses, etc.

It makes no sense. They are looking for the next wonderkid who's going to take over the world instead of taking a much more 'known' quantity who can actually contribute. Yes, the step up is big for the next level, but that's true no matter what (whether you select from the A team, U19 team, etc). If you're not going to use FC as a barometer to judge who is ready, then why even have a FC system in the first place.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The Indian selectors seem to have something against people who have played enough FC cricket to have figured out their game, worked out their strengths and weaknesses, etc.

It makes no sense. They are looking for the next wonderkid who's going to take over the world instead of taking a much more 'known' quantity who can actually contribute. Yes, the step up is big for the next level, but that's true no matter what (whether you select from the A team, U19 team, etc). If you're not going to use FC as a barometer to judge who is ready, then why even have a FC system in the first place.
True but then Pankaj might be able to transcend this prejudice because he's tall and has a bit of pace.