View Poll Results: Does Pankaj Singh deserve to play for India currently??

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 72.22%
  • No

5 27.78%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Pankaj Singh

How does Pankaj Singh stack up against Munaf Patel? I'd say he scores over Munaf in fitness (Munaf is an injury worry and hence is barely putting in 30%, while we have yet to hear of a Pankaj Singh injury), pace (he bowls faster than Munaf) and variations, and is also very good without the ball- Munaf is a turkey on the field and with the bat. Munaf, however, scores over in potential pace (he started off as a tearaway, after all) and excellent cross-format ability (Munaf chips in T20, while Pankaj struggles). Having played in the IPL and with support of both Dhoni and Tendulkar, Munaf seems to get an edge, but we want the better bowler and selection, don't we? Pankaj should now score easily over Sreesanth.

He's still understudy to Vinay Kumar, who's still better.

Zaheer-Ishant-Vinay-Pankaj for the top four.
    Last edited by Arjun; 04-08-2011 at 06:05 AM.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I don't really know where to start with this post. There are so many things I take issue with that I think I'm just going to leave the thread and pretend it didn't happen.
    I'm also confused by this post.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    Zaheer-Ishant-Vinay-Pankaj for the top four.
    You forgot Praveen

Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    He's still understudy to Vinay Kumar, who's still better.
    Yes. Even after his ODI failures, which did disappoint me, I do think he could still be a good Test option. He is going to need some more wickets in Australia, perhaps a five wicket haul, to grab the selectors attention but I just think that someone like James Anderson shows that you can very well be a top Test bowler and occasionally embarrassing ODI bowler and RVK could fall into that category.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I don't really know where to start with this post. There are so many things I take issue with that I think I'm just going to leave the thread and pretend it didn't happen.

He has a point, tbf. Mithun got selected ahead of him and i thought you agreed with Pankaj being ahead of him?

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    You forgot Praveen
    Nah!! Arjun doesn't rate Praveen.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Yes. Even after his ODI failures, which did disappoint me, I do think he could still be a good Test option. He is going to need some more wickets in Australia, perhaps a five wicket haul, to grab the selectors attention but I just think that someone like James Anderson shows that you can very well be a top Test bowler and occasionally embarrassing ODI bowler and RVK could fall into that category.
    While i think he deserves his shot for sure, i am not sure about him tests tbh.

He doesn't really have that clear distinguishing characteristic like Swinging it both ways on will with Praveen for example and is more reliant on tactical acumen,will and cleverness to pick wickets.
    But certainly is better than the likes of Unadkat,Yadav and Mithun who have been selected for the test squad already.

Also i agree that Pankaj singh should have gone to the emerging players tournament. If Vinay Kumar has.so should have he as there don't seem no age restrictions.

Another thing i am looking forward to how is how Varun Aaron does in Australia , and how the likes of Deepak Chahar and Basanth Mohanty progress in the domestic scene next season.
    The swing Chahar gets in Indian conditions with the new ball is seriously impressive and more than Praveen even.
    Last edited by Cevno; 04-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    While i think he deserves his shot for sure, i am not sure about him tests tbh.

He doesn't really have that clear distinguishing characteristic like Swinging it both ways on will with Praveen for example and is more reliant on tactical acumen,will and cleverness to pick wickets.
    But certainly is better than the likes of Unadkat,Yadav and Mithun who have been selected for the test squad already.
    Agreed. It will be interesting to see if he is able to pry Test wickets. He does seem a pretty clever bowler but I also lean toward 'no' whilst knowing he is a far better option than Unadkat, Yadav or Mithun.

This was linked earlier, but Pankaj Singh got desperate in an interview. He has every right to be. He's the in-form bowler, getting plenty of wickets, has domestic experience, has also picked up pace, and is one of the fittest cricketers across India. He should have been playing all the Test matches, and should be leading the attack in place of Zaheer Khan, with Umesh Yadav. What's stopping the selectors? A lesser case may be established for Delhi's Parvinder Awana, since he's also faster, but this is about Pankaj Singh- over fifty FC games, plenty of wickets, prime fitness and good form- but he's still ignored.

State Vice-Captain
    Didn't he get an opportunity for India once, and fail to perform?

Whatever I've seen of him, he doesn't look Test-class. Decent, maybe, but about as decent as Kleinveldt. I don't think he will make a huge difference to the bowling attack really.

And the selectors have this thing where they kinda peg some players are 'not being good enough', even if they dominate at Ranji level. And I guess Pankaj's brief flirtation with the national side where he didn't do really well might have confirmed that suspicion for them.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Didn't he get an opportunity for India once, and fail to perform?

Whatever I've seen of him, he doesn't look Test-class. Decent, maybe, but about as decent as Kleinveldt. I don't think he will make a huge difference to the bowling attack really.

And the selectors have this thing where they kinda peg some players are 'not being good enough', even if they dominate at Ranji level. And I guess Pankaj's brief flirtation with the national side where he didn't do really well might have confirmed that suspicion for them.
    One opportunity. Not enough. Compare that to the number of games Dinda, Mithun, Tyagi, and an over-the-hill Sreesanth got. Honestly, instead of wasting space on the likes of this batch of mediocrity, or a struggling Ishant and Zaheer, this is the only option. He may not look Test class, but he's leagues ahead of any pace bowler we've seen playing for India, bar Zaheer and Umesh. At least his fitness and accuracy will make a difference, and will last longer than Ishant, who goes poof after eleven overs.

The selectors have picked a series of teams that lost eight Test matches abroad, and are in danger of losing a Test series at home. Clearly not the smartest people in office.

State Vice-Captain
    Not saying it's right to ignore him. You asked what's stopping the selectors. Gave you a possible reason. Not saying it's right, but yea, that's probably what it is. They have him pegged as 'not good enough for India' and have left it at that.

They've done that to a lot of decent players in the past. Badrinath, Kaif, Sandeep Singh, Muzdamar, off the top of my head.

Sandeep Singh is a stretch. He's an average wicketkeeper for Haryana.

You say that Pankaj was dropped because of one tour where he played one match that didn't go right. But now, there's a much better chance of making the Test and ODI side, as India will lose Zaheer and Ishant, and that dwarf Dinda is utter rubbish and has failed across ten ODIs he's got- and cost India one Asia cup too. Clearly, a job for Pankaj Singh. Nothing to suggest he's not good enough for India, on current form.

Pankaj v/s Dinda- Pankaj is taller, bowls faster, has a better domestic record, stays fitter, and is also better in the tail end.

Pankaj v/s Ishant- Pankaj has been playing more active cricket and is in better form, and also fitter.

Pankaj v/s Mithun- Since when has Mithun done anything special outside that 2009-10 season?

Pankaj v/s Vinay- This was one where Pankaj fell back a little, but he's now catching up with Vinay in the domestic scene, and he's better built for fast bowling, and also fitter.

Pankaj v/s Aaron- Fitter. Doesn't get injured.

Pankaj v/s Unadkat- You're comparing a lion to a housecat here.

State Vice-Captain
    Again, not disagreeing with you. Just stating a possible reason. Take the comparisons to those who make the selections, not me.

I'm looking for that offpsinner in a turban...I though Sandeep Singh was his name but clearly I was wrong. Any idea who I was referring too? Was prolific domestically but barely got opportunities for India.

EDIT: Found him. Sarandeep Singh.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...yer/34211.html

Sandy's problem was that he played in the same era as Kumble, Harbhajan and Murali Kartik, and didn't offer much to be useful. He had no chance of breaking that bastion. Pankaj, on the other hand, has virtually no bastion to break, with only Umesh Yadav and the oft-injured Varun Aaron being good enough at the moment.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information