• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pankaj Singh

Does Pankaj Singh deserve to play for India currently??

• Total voters

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Let's just see how it shapes up now. Zaheer seems a perpetual injury worry, and all the bowlers, Zaheer included, are poor on flat decks, and wear out after their fifteenth over. Maybe Pankaj has a shout at that. There's a little too much competition between Zaheer, Ishant, Sreesanth and Praveen, and it will be difficult for Pankaj breaking in there. On the other hand, with India's bowling weakness flaring up due to the lack of a fifth bowler, if he can score runs, adding up to Bhajji and Praveen, he has a very strong case. Pace is a difficult ask from the man, much as it is a screaming requirement, so he needs to get both wickets and runs for his FC team, then for India. He offers just as much with the ball as the top four and if he can get runs on a regular basis, he can play as a third seamer in India or even the fourth seamer abroad. He should easily sneak in ahead of Munaf Patel.

Replacing one of Zaheer, Sreesanth, Ishant or Praveen is out of the question, and even then, he can't help India win matches, so the best he can do is as the fifth bowler.
Yeah.Can make to the squad as a fifth bowler for sure.But I don't see it happening as he wasn't even given a place in the emerging players' squad for Australia,even after being the top wicket taker of the season.There can't be anything more disgusting than that.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah.Can make to the squad as a fifth bowler for sure.But I don't see it happening as he wasn't even given a place in the emerging players' squad for Australia,even after being the top wicket taker of the season.There can't be anything more disgusting than that.
That Emerging Players tournament is essentially a contest among development cricketers, essentially young cricketers who are future prospects in the next few years. These don't even have official status. Looking at the average age and domestic experience, it doesn't make the omission so bad, as Pankaj Singh would be an adult playing with kids in that place. Already Vinay Kumar is chipping away lots of wickets as the token experienced player.

Emerging Players cricket is too small for him- he should be playing regularly for Board XI as well as a more proper India A, and play in every single tour FC/List-A game India plays. He shouldn't be just in contention for India Emerging, but India Seniors.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
That Emerging Players tournament is essentially a contest among development cricketers, essentially young cricketers who are future prospects in the next few years. These don't even have official status. Looking at the average age and domestic experience, it doesn't make the omission so bad, as Pankaj Singh would be an adult playing with kids in that place. Already Vinay Kumar is chipping away lots of wickets as the token experienced player.

Emerging Players cricket is too small for him- he should be playing regularly for Board XI as well as a more proper India A, and play in every single tour FC/List-A game India plays. He shouldn't be just in contention for India Emerging, but India Seniors.
That's a valid point.But why Dhawan,Tiwary,etc. in that squad?? If they can go,why can't Pankaj??

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
They're token experienced players. Someone like Vinay Kumar or even a fully fit Irfan or Yusuf would be appropriate to lead or guide the team. Besides, Tiwary and Dhawan still have some distance to cover before getting any more India caps.

It is the selection of Umesh, Unadkat, Mithun, Tyagi and Dinda in the national side ahead of Pankaj Singh that's a matter of concern.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
It is the selection of Umesh, Unadkat, Mithun, Tyagi and Dinda in the national side ahead of Pankaj Singh that's a matter of concern.
It is a big matter of concern.It is questionable to BCCI why the leading wicket taker of the season wasn't picked in the national team & mediocres like Mithun & Unadkat are getting so many chances.
Tyagi & Unadkat won't even make to the full strength playing XI of their domestic sides.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah the fact that Pankaj wasn't picked for the Emerging Players tournament is a non-issue; it's not a genuine A team and isn't supposed to be.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah the fact that Pankaj wasn't picked for the Emerging Players tournament is a non-issue; it's not a genuine A team and isn't supposed to be.
But after such a superb season,he should have been in the squad for the tour of West Indies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But after such a superb season,he should have been in the squad for the tour of West Indies.
I don't really know where to start with this post. There are so many things I take issue with that I think I'm just going to leave the thread and pretend it didn't happen.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
How does Pankaj Singh stack up against Munaf Patel? I'd say he scores over Munaf in fitness (Munaf is an injury worry and hence is barely putting in 30%, while we have yet to hear of a Pankaj Singh injury), pace (he bowls faster than Munaf) and variations, and is also very good without the ball- Munaf is a turkey on the field and with the bat. Munaf, however, scores over in potential pace (he started off as a tearaway, after all) and excellent cross-format ability (Munaf chips in T20, while Pankaj struggles). Having played in the IPL and with support of both Dhoni and Tendulkar, Munaf seems to get an edge, but we want the better bowler and selection, don't we? Pankaj should now score easily over Sreesanth.

He's still understudy to Vinay Kumar, who's still better.

Zaheer-Ishant-Vinay-Pankaj for the top four.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He's still understudy to Vinay Kumar, who's still better.
Yes. Even after his ODI failures, which did disappoint me, I do think he could still be a good Test option. He is going to need some more wickets in Australia, perhaps a five wicket haul, to grab the selectors attention but I just think that someone like James Anderson shows that you can very well be a top Test bowler and occasionally embarrassing ODI bowler and RVK could fall into that category.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really know where to start with this post. There are so many things I take issue with that I think I'm just going to leave the thread and pretend it didn't happen.
:confused:

He has a point, tbf. Mithun got selected ahead of him and i thought you agreed with Pankaj being ahead of him?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yes. Even after his ODI failures, which did disappoint me, I do think he could still be a good Test option. He is going to need some more wickets in Australia, perhaps a five wicket haul, to grab the selectors attention but I just think that someone like James Anderson shows that you can very well be a top Test bowler and occasionally embarrassing ODI bowler and RVK could fall into that category.
While i think he deserves his shot for sure, i am not sure about him tests tbh.

He doesn't really have that clear distinguishing characteristic like Swinging it both ways on will with Praveen for example and is more reliant on tactical acumen,will and cleverness to pick wickets.
But certainly is better than the likes of Unadkat,Yadav and Mithun who have been selected for the test squad already.

Also i agree that Pankaj singh should have gone to the emerging players tournament. If Vinay Kumar has.so should have he as there don't seem no age restrictions.

Another thing i am looking forward to how is how Varun Aaron does in Australia , and how the likes of Deepak Chahar and Basanth Mohanty progress in the domestic scene next season.
The swing Chahar gets in Indian conditions with the new ball is seriously impressive and more than Praveen even.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
While i think he deserves his shot for sure, i am not sure about him tests tbh.

He doesn't really have that clear distinguishing characteristic like Swinging it both ways on will with Praveen for example and is more reliant on tactical acumen,will and cleverness to pick wickets.
But certainly is better than the likes of Unadkat,Yadav and Mithun who have been selected for the test squad already.
Agreed. It will be interesting to see if he is able to pry Test wickets. He does seem a pretty clever bowler but I also lean toward 'no' whilst knowing he is a far better option than Unadkat, Yadav or Mithun.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This was linked earlier, but Pankaj Singh got desperate in an interview. He has every right to be. He's the in-form bowler, getting plenty of wickets, has domestic experience, has also picked up pace, and is one of the fittest cricketers across India. He should have been playing all the Test matches, and should be leading the attack in place of Zaheer Khan, with Umesh Yadav. What's stopping the selectors? A lesser case may be established for Delhi's Parvinder Awana, since he's also faster, but this is about Pankaj Singh- over fifty FC games, plenty of wickets, prime fitness and good form- but he's still ignored.

cnerd123

likes this
Didn't he get an opportunity for India once, and fail to perform?

Whatever I've seen of him, he doesn't look Test-class. Decent, maybe, but about as decent as Kleinveldt. I don't think he will make a huge difference to the bowling attack really.

And the selectors have this thing where they kinda peg some players are 'not being good enough', even if they dominate at Ranji level. And I guess Pankaj's brief flirtation with the national side where he didn't do really well might have confirmed that suspicion for them.