• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Middle order face off! Lara AND Tendulkar Vs. Richards AND Chappell

Lara AND Tendulkar VS. Richards AND Chappell

• Total voters

shankar

International Debutant
Lara + Tendulkar (89-02 version) against a spin quartet including Warne, Murali + 2 other ATG spinners from the past (take your pick) on 90's Indian wickets - Salivating just thinking about this.

biased indian

International Coach
voted tendulkar and lara

would have loved to see them take on Mcgrath and warne in Australia..would have been nice to watch if both were in full flow

Howe_zat

Audio File
Generation game, is it? How about:

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Richards
Chappell
Miandad
Botham
Imran
Knott
Hadlee
Marshall
Lillee

vs

Sehwag
Hayden
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Muralitharan
Donald
McGrath

Debris

International 12th Man
What conditions are they playing under? Richards/Chappell under seaming, swinging or dodgy pitch conditions(variable ball height), Lara/Tendulkar on a flat or spinning track.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Generation game, is it? How about:

Gavaskar
Greenidge
Richards
Chappell
Miandad
Botham
Imran
Knott
Hadlee
Marshall
Lillee

vs

Sehwag
Hayden
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Muralitharan
Donald
McGrath
would be quite a matchup. the newer lot have a stronger batting lineup and a more balanced bowling lineup, though a less potent one in the pace department.

they would take edge a 5 test series.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't know.............I think the older lot looks to have a lot more firepower.....and they bat well till number 8

hang on

State Vice-Captain
I don't know.............I think the older lot looks to have a lot more firepower.....and they bat well till number 8
more firepower in the pace department but zilch in the spin stakes. the newbies have 2 of the greatest spinners to have picked up the ball! makes a big difference in my opinion.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
would be quite a matchup. the newer lot have a stronger batting lineup and a more balanced bowling lineup, though a less potent one in the pace department.

they would take edge a 5 test series.
Yeah, I feel the same way. Awfully hard to say though.

smash84

The Tiger King
more firepower in the pace department but zilch in the spin stakes. the newbies have 2 of the greatest spinners to have picked up the ball! makes a big difference in my opinion.
with their kind of pace bowling they can do without a spinner tbh

Himannv

International Coach
The older generation bats deeper and has a better pace attack but I like the balance of the new generation team.

Warne and Murali to rip apart pretty much anyone on a turner while Imran, Hadlee, Marshall and Lillee will probably reduce the opposition to shambles on a green top. I'd guess that the conditions would be a deciding factor for me.

Waugh and Border unlucky to sit out of both teams.

smash84

The Tiger King
The older generation bats deeper and has a better pace attack but I like the balance of the new generation team.

Warne and Murali to rip apart pretty much anyone on a turner while Imran, Hadlee, Marshall and Lillee will probably reduce the opposition to shambles on a green top. I'd guess that the conditions would be a deciding factor for me.

Waugh and Border unlucky to sit out of both teams.
Even on a flat road Imran will blast out the young generation with reverse swing. The new generations do not have comparable firepower on a road

vcs

Even on a flat road Imran will blast out the young generation with reverse swing. The new generations do not have comparable firepower on a road
McGrath and Donald are pretty good TBH. Also, Murali bowling 50-over spells from one end is a big advantage on a batting-friendly pitch. Kallis can also pitch in with the ball. Overall the older guys have a deeper attack though, as Botham >> Kallis with the ball.

Spark

Global Moderator
I reckon both these teams are far too good to just be "blown away" on any sort of regular basis, tbh.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
i subscribe to the theory that 4 excellent bowlers of the same kind is essentially overkill. in green or seaming conditions, mcgrath and donald can do as much damage as imran, hadlee, lillee, botham and marshall. in fact, a couple of bowlers in the second lot will end up being underused. on absolute roads, it might be an advantage to have that kind od firepower, but all time great spinners can exert the same kind of control on roads.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed. Marshall, Lillee and Imran are very similar kind of bowlers (except Imran's reverse-swing). Hadlee and Botham are slightly different, though. All in all, we have 4 all-time great and 1 very good pacemen and yet the attack looks one-dimensional to an extent. If not a spinner, even a left-are fast bowler like Wasim or Davidson could have been handy. But it is the way it is. On greentops, this attack will be lethal. And guess what, it'll be lethal on flat tracks too. The only thing is that while bowling to an ATG batting lineup, the only thing this bowling attack lacks is a plan B.

Himannv

International Coach
Well how many of the old generation have played spinners of the calibre of Warne and Murali? While reverse swing is a useful weapon on this pitch, players from the new generation have faced such bowling and play in those conditions all the time. I have a feeling Warne and Murali bowling on a rank turner will be a far bigger threat to any opposition, even those who have faced them before.

smash84

The Tiger King
i subscribe to the theory that 4 excellent bowlers of the same kind is essentially overkill. in green or seaming conditions, mcgrath and donald can do as much damage as imran, hadlee, lillee, botham and marshall. in fact, a couple of bowlers in the second lot will end up being underused. on absolute roads, it might be an advantage to have that kind od firepower, but all time great spinners can exert the same kind of control on roads.
The thing with roads is that it even makes the spin slower. It makes the ball lose that zip and bite which makes raging turners absolute mines to bat on. So roads and green tops to the old timers and turners to the new generation. Might help the new generation balance to include one of Wasim or WAqar to at least add the dimension of reverse swing

Indeed. Marshall, Lillee and Imran are very similar kind of bowlers (except Imran's reverse-swing). Hadlee and Botham are slightly different, though. All in all, we have 4 all-time great and 1 very good pacemen and yet the attack looks one-dimensional to an extent. If not a spinner, even a left-are fast bowler like Wasim or Davidson could have been handy. But it is the way it is. On greentops, this attack will be lethal. And guess what, it'll be lethal on flat tracks too. The only thing is that while bowling to an ATG batting lineup, the only thing this bowling attack lacks is a plan B.
The point is that this bowling line-up does not need plan B. It is good enough to blast out the opposition on any surface. Only on a rank turner will the new generation blow them away quicker.

Well how many of the old generation have played spinners of the calibre of Warne and Murali? While reverse swing is a useful weapon on this pitch, players from the new generation have faced such bowling and play in those conditions all the time. I have a feeling Warne and Murali bowling on a rank turner will be a far bigger threat to any opposition, even those who have faced them before.
Murali and Warne are the trump cards and on a spin wicket the new timers will take it. BUT on green tops and absolute roads I will back the old timers to win it. The new timers faced reverse swing but check out Wasim and Waqar's and Imran's records on roads to see why it is so lethal. Besides Miandad and Gavaskar are some of the best players of spin of all time. Salim Malik was the first batsman I remember who really dominated Warne and he was a touch below Miandad in playing against spinners.

vcs

Interesting post, Smalishah. It is possible that even the slightest advantage for either side in terms of conditions could result in a one-sided contest because both sets of personnel are so good at executing their skills.

Out of interest, did Donald bowl reverse swing? He has a very good record in India, though that could have more to do with Indian batsmen generally being less comfortable against top-quality pace bowling. McGrath could get the ball to reverse as well.

Last edited: