• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan vs. Saqlain in Tests?

Who is/was the better Test bowler?

• Total voters

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
Ability wise Mushtaq Ahmad for sure.
More fascinating wise, Mustaq again.

Statistically I do not know.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Saqi has a very poor longevity for a spinner part of it was not his fault but still its difficult to rate a 200 wickets bowler over a 400 one when the difference in stats is not huge had Saqlain taken 100 more wickets at the same rate then I would have gone for him.

Harbhajan for me.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Saqlain was my favourite spinner before Murali's emergence as an ATG bowler.

But because of sheer weight of wickets, I am picking Harbhajan here. Perhaps Saqlain also doesn't have a dream series like Harbhajan's 2001 series against Aus.

Xuhaib

International Coach
also Saqi never won us a test away from sub cont against a major nation while Mushy consistently did it between 94-98 this is one reason i rate Mushy very highly, say what about umpiring or Langer-Gilly partnership but the major reason we lost Hobart 99 was Saqlain choking in the 4th innings.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It would be interesting to include Lance Gibbs in this poll as well.. 309 wickets at around 30. Would have added him if it had occurred to me at the time. Perhaps a mod could do it?

Agree that Harbhajan's longevity would have to put him above Saqlain, I guess.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Saqlain was my favourite spinner before Murali's emergence as an ATG bowler.

But because of sheer weight of wickets, I am picking Harbhajan here. Perhaps Saqlain also doesn't have a dream series like Harbhajan's 2001 series against Aus.
India 99 was quite close especially since in the past 2 years Warne and Murali had been hammered in India.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Saqlain was the better all conditions bowler when he played but he had a relatively small career ,specially for a spinner and he just disappeared almost.
And so Harbhajan easily beats him in the longevity factor .

Really tough one this. Have probably a slight personal bias for Saqlain so that makes it even tougher.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF to Saqlain he was basically crippled for two years with problems with both knees. He did well to come back at all.

Better bowler for my money.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Saqlain had the best series by any visiting spinner back in '99. Picked up a 5fer virtually every innings IIRC.

smash84

The Tiger King
TBF to Saqlain he was basically crippled for two years with problems with both knees. He did well to come back at all.

Better bowler for my money.
Saqlain had the best series by any visiting spinner back in '99. Picked up a 5fer virtually every innings IIRC.
awta

Definitely a better bowler than Harbhajhan. Always gave Sachin a tough time. Even though he has a much shorter career than Harbhajhan but he was just one of those freaks that come around once in a long time. On talent and skill rate him higher than Bhajji definitely. Only part where he loses out is longevity so overall to Saqi IMO. (Might be a bit biased here. Just don't like that Bhajji character)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I am rethinking my vote. Saqlain was seriously good and I had hoped him to achieve huge things. He did have a some notable success in India and also played match winning hands outside sub continent. When he was at his peak, he didn't look like someone who depended on conditions to take his wickets. He had his shrewd cricketing brain to do that. Really disappointing the way he faded away into oblivion suddenly.

EDIT: And I did put Saqlain ahead in this recent thread.

Last edited:

vcs

Well, if we are giving credit to Saqlain for his superior record in Australia, then Harbhajan should also get some for his efforts in SA in the recent series.

smash84

The Tiger King
I am rethinking my vote. Saqlain was seriously good and I had hoped him to achieve huge things. He did have a some notable success in India and also played match winning hands outside sub continent. When he was at his peak, he didn't look like someone who depended on conditions to take his wickets. He had his shrewd cricketing brain to do that. Really disappointing the way he faded away into oblivion suddenly.

EDIT: And I did put Saqlain ahead in this recent thread.
you put harbhajan above ntini?

smash84

The Tiger King
Well, if we are giving credit to Saqlain for his superior record in Australia, then Harbhajan should also get some for his efforts in SA in the recent series.
who is giving credit to saqlain for his record against Aus????

Saqlain's record SA is pretty bad.

vcs

who is giving credit to saqlain for his record against Aus????

Saqlain's record SA is pretty bad.
Saqlain has bowled well in Aus, hasn't he? At least I assumed that was what Ankit was referring to when he said he has played match-winning hands outside the subcontinent. Though, of course, as Xuhaib pointed out, Pakistan could not actually finish the job in Hobart thanks to Gilly and Langer.