Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inness should have been picked over Bracken

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar

Inness should have been picked over Bracken

Can't say I disagree with this at all. I was asking the question when Bracken was first picked and considering their respective records, his selection over Inness is even less justified.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23212,00.html

Why isn't Mat in?
    By Michael Horan
    October 15, 2003

VICTORIAN cricket's senior men are fuming that left-arm fast bowler Mathew Inness has again been ignored by the national selectors.

NSW counterpart Nathan Bracken, who statistically is no match for the Victorian, was called into the Australian squad on Monday to bolster its stocks for the second Test against Zimbabwe this week.

Leg-spinner Stuart MacGill has torn a calf muscle to join NSW teammate Glenn McGrath on the injured list.

Bracken's recall prompted a less than subtle swipe from Victorian coach David Hookes and a despondent reaction from captain Darren Berry.

Inness and Bracken are both 25-year-old left-arm fast bowlers, but it is the Victorian, who cannot get a look in with Australia A, who has the far superior first-class record for his state.

Inness has collected 178 wickets for Victoria at an average of just 24.72, compared to Bracken's 80 at 30.45 for the Blues.

"As I've said many times, when they give out the baggy blue cap in NSW, they give you a baggy green in a brown paper bag as well to save making two presentations," Hookes said.

"I think Matty got very harshly treated when he was overlooked for the Australia A side last year, and I think he'd be a pretty disappointed bloke today."

Berry, Inness's Pura Cup captain, had no intention of buying into selection issues, but stated the obvious on his teammate's behalf.

"He's a great bloke and he works harder than any player I know," Berry said.

"I can't comment on selection and won't - I don't have to. The stats speak for themselves."

The 183cm, 92kg Inness has a personal best of 7-19 and has taken six five-wicket and two 10-wicket hauls in his 50-game career for Victoria. Bracken has taken five wickets in an innings just once in 28 games for NSW.

There is a palpable feeling within Victorian ranks that without a representative on the national selection panel, the influence of Australian captain Steve Waugh and the Queensland-NSW representation on the selection panel works harshly against Victoria.

The selectors are chairman Trevor Hohns (Qld), Allan Border (Qld), Andrew Hilditch (NSW) and David Boon (Tasmania).

Bracken, who was also selected in the Australian squad for the 2001 Ashes tour, was included in the 14-man Australian squad for the second Test against Zimbabwe, starting at the SCG on Friday.

The general consensus among the Victorian players - especially the batsmen - is that Inness is a better bowler, one who swings the ball more, but also one who runs in all day and can get wickets with the old ball.

Herald Sun
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

I agree completely. I've ranted about Bracken many-a-time before, and I could put up with ODI selection.

But Test selection over a clearly superior candidate just baffles me. For mine, Bollinger is the pick of the left armers in NSW.

Go figure.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    But Test selection over a clearly superior candidate just baffles me. For mine, Bollinger is the pick of the left armers in NSW.
    A friend of mine (Pete Thomas) played against him in the ATSIC Chairman's XI vs PM XI match last year and rated Bollinger very highly.

Still, it's just another example of where a player from NSW seems to get the nod in line-ball selection decisions. And yes, I can name some examples so don't even go there, buddy.

Originally posted by Top_Cat
    Still, it's just another example of where a player from NSW seems to get the nod in line-ball selection decisions. And yes, I can name some examples so don't even go there, buddy.
    Corey mate, I agree with you 400%!

Simply because I am a New South Welshman, doesn't mean I cannot see the painful truth of favoritism with the selectors.

For mine, Katich isn't even worthy of his place in the squad, but the Bracken selection is the real clanger!

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Simon Katich?

Where is Martin Love? Did he get a look in?
    Nathan Bracken?

He is a talented bowler, but compared with Inness and some others I think he isn't up to standard.

Love did very well last season, where is he now?
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by masterblaster
    Simon Katich?

Where is Martin Love? Did he get a look in?
    They're searching a direct Lehmann replacement - Love cannot bowl.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain
    I agree with this more than would seem possible. Bracken should not have a place in this side, simply doesnt deserve it. I would have put Clarke in the team ahead of Katich also, as Clarke can bowl too.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Clarke doesn't really bowl much, wheras Katich is rated as steve rixon as the 2nd best spinner in the state. - Katich is really the only option, hes got plenty of first class experience and is a very solid batsman, has batted everywhere fro NSW from opening to numbers 5 and 6. hes also a pretty good bowler, well better than lehmann anyway, probably deserves another shot, he only got one test before falling out of favor. Love will be back, im sure he will have another good season for the bulls and if any batsman gets injured he will be the first in line - but when we are missing McGrath, Gillespie, Warne and Macgill, especually at teh SCG, we really need the extra bowling that Katich has.

as for Inness, i really dont quite know what hes done wrong, he is much better in the longer form, one dayers is different but this is not an one day game.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Originally posted by age_master
    Katich is really the only option, hes got plenty of first class experience and is a very solid batsman
    Let me think of a Queenslander who could do the job....

Mr. Symonds...

No wait thats too obvious. Andrew S

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Although I rate Doug Bollinger highly I cant beleive Inness was overlooked for him by Australia A last year , they even picked Cleary ahead of him & while both Cleary & Bollinger are a little quicker they get no where near the movement Inness does , nor do their records stack up against his , nor are they as accurate.

Matthew Inness is a real thinking bowler , he uses his head & I think of him as a Victorian version of Chaminda Vaas , when he does eventually get his oppurtunity then he should become one of our mainstays.

There should be a six man selection panel with one from each state.

Originally posted by iamdavid
    There should be a six man selection panel with one from each state.
    No. This would prove nothing short of farcical.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Matt Inness has to be one of the unluckiest professional players of recent years. For me, he's the best seamer in Australia, simple as.
    Not as accurate as McGrath and Gillespie, but he can move the ball in more ways than them.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

To describe him as that strikes me as being a bit OTT there!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by marc71178
    To describe him as that strikes me as being a bit OTT there!
    Who else can move the ball in all conditions? In Australia?
    I don't just judge a bowler on his record - I have watched Matthew Inness bowl, alright not as much as I've watched McGrath or Gillespie, but both of them are pretty average in typical Australian conditions, and only get batsmen out because good batsmen fear them and bad batsmen aren't good enough.
    Matt Inness, however, can get competant batsmen out through his own skill rather than their incompetance in any conditions.
    If the pitch is seaming - he'll seam it. If it's swinging conventionally - he'll swing it. If it's reverse-swinging - he'll swing it. If none of the above are possible, he'll use off-cutters and leg-cutters.
    In this way, he's not dissimilar to Shane Harwood his opening partner. The difference is that Harwood's rather wayward, Inness's accuracy is far better.

McGrath is one of the top 2 seamers in the World.

To say Inness is the best seamer in Australia puts him at that level, when he's never played an International.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information