• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian pace trio??

Which is best combination??

• Total voters

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Ishant Sharma has been superb in WI & this makes the Indian pace attack look stronger for England tour.With Zaheer coming back,it won't be easy for the English batsmen to get big scores.But there would be a good competetion between the Indian seamers for a spot in the line-up.Zaheer & Ishant are automatic selections at this point of time & the third seamer will be one of these three - Praveen/Munaf/Sreesanth.
I would go for Praveen because of his swing capabilities & also he has got a good start to his test career so he would be high on confidence.
:)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Between Praveen and Sreesanth for the third spot currently.

I would certainly go for Praveen in swinging conditions.

chicane

State Captain
I'd like nothing more than Sree getting selected, having a killer tour and settling into the team alongside Zaheer and Ishant, but think Praveen and Munaf are also good shouts for England. Wouldn't mind any of them getting a go.

Speaking of which, I know Munaf is a very different bowler now, but how awesome he was vs England in Mohali!

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd like nothing more than Sree getting selected, having a killer tour and settling into the team alongside Zaheer and Ishant, but think Praveen and Munaf are also good shouts for England. Wouldn't mind any of them getting a go.

Speaking of which, I know Munaf is a very different bowler now, but how awesome he was vs England in Mohali!
Yeah.Probably he will be remembered as the only bowler who was at his best ever on debut. 8-)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aren't there like a million discussions about this topic all over the subbie already..

Teja.

Global Moderator
It's pretty harsh on Sree and I wub him most dearly but you cannot drop Praveen or Ishant now and Zaheer is Zaheer.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Sree > Praveen

similar amount of swing at 135-140 ks > at 120-125 ks
You left out one important difference.

The 125 kph guy makes them play all the time, while the 140 kph swing bowler specializes in the corridor of unreachability.

Besides, he is mentally unstable IMHO, and it's very difficult for a captain to trust him to do a consistent job with the ball.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Plus the guy at 125 can swing it both ways ,while the guy at 140 can only swing it one way with the new ball and when it swings too much he finds it hard to contol it.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Ishant seems to have found his pace and rhythm back and that makes him and Zaheer the first two candidates in my book.

PK has been swinging the red cherry beautifully and the control that he displays is exceptional. I do think that sometimes pace tends to get over-rated. A guy who is super-accurate and swings it at 77-79 mph isn't going to be as easy to cart around the park as many people seem to think.

Truth be told, apart from a few modern batsmen, I don't see many guys having something remotely resembling a technique when it comes to tackling late movement. A genuine swing bowler (in-the-air rather than off-the-pitch types) is more worthy at this point of time than any other, IMHO. I'd back PK to achieve a lot in his test career. Sreesanth, as I said before, is hugely inconsistent and laughably indisciplined for a test-playing adult.

So, Zaheer + Sharma + Kumar would be the way to go, if I were the skipper/selector.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can't see Praveen troubling some of the bigger batting lineups though unless the ball swings around corners. Sreesanth if he isn't playing like rubbish (which he does sometimes play like) has something of an X-factor about him.

Flem274*

123/5
That's the thing though. In unfavourable conditions against a beastly batting line up, would you take the swing bowling medium pacer who can at least keep things tight or the quicker, less accurate, less swingy bowler who might have a one game in twenty pearler or carry on with his pie chucking ways, probably hitting a team mate with his handbag again for good measure?

I'd probably just play the second spinner in that situation if the medium pacer really struggled.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If the conditions are swinging and in favor of seamers then i will take Praveen because he is more likely to make the batsman play every ball,swing it both ways and utilise the conditions to the fullest.
While Sreesanth will ball more than half the balls in such a area where they would be of no trouble to the batsman and waste the conditions and the new ball.

But then in conditions where there is not much assistance for the bowlers ,Sreesanth though may not be able to keep it tight he is more likely to produce a wickettaking ball out of nowhere after being smacked for 15 runs in the over.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
We'll see how Munaf gets on in the second innings, but I'd rather see Zaheer, Ishant and Munaf as the trio. Munaf needs probably 3+ wickets to justify such a selection, but if he gets it, I would very much like to see it.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Munaf's fitness is a big question in tests and his ability to bowl long spells at full tilt.

Then he balls a length probably too short of ideal for English conditions and doesn't move it much. I have doubts about his penetrativeness too ,when the batsman just decide to be play with caution and let most balls go.
He doesn't really ball too many out and out wicket taking balls and perhaps doesn't make the batsman play enough too.

Last edited: