• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian pace trio??

Which is best combination??

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think you're overrating pure swing here tbh. It'll do against weak batting lineups but against Cook, Trott, Bell, you need more.
This is what I think. Praveen will always swing the ball at his pace, so help from atmospheric conditions is a moot point for him. If it looks like the ball will swing I'd take Sree every time.

I'd also dispute the suggestion that Kumar makes the batsman play every time; from what I've seen of him he sprays it down leg quite a lot.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If the conditions are helpful for swing Sree is bound to spray it around and waste the new ball for sure.

I would take Praveen easily in such a situation as he can then swing the old ball too and swing the new ball by a bigger distance with Banana swing both ways and more accurately than Sreesanth.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the conditions are helpful for swing Sree is bound to spray it around and waste the new ball for sure.

I would take Praveen easily in such a situation as he can then swing the old ball too and swing the new ball by a bigger distance with Banana swing both ways and more accurately than Sreesanth.
This is the key downside of Sree.. and the bad thing is that if he gets it wrong, he will not just waste the new ball without being too expensive, but that he will go for 0-100 in 15 which is a killer in a low-scoring match.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Ishant seems to have found his pace and rhythm back and that makes him and Zaheer the first two candidates in my book.

PK has been swinging the red cherry beautifully and the control that he displays is exceptional. I do think that sometimes pace tends to get over-rated. A guy who is super-accurate and swings it at 77-79 mph isn't going to be as easy to cart around the park as many people seem to think.

Truth be told, apart from a few modern batsmen, I don't see many guys having something remotely resembling a technique when it comes to tackling late movement. A genuine swing bowler (in-the-air rather than off-the-pitch types) is more worthy at this point of time than any other, IMHO. I'd back PK to achieve a lot in his test career. Sreesanth, as I said before, is hugely inconsistent and laughably indisciplined for a test-playing adult.

So, Zaheer + Sharma + Kumar would be the way to go, if I were the skipper/selector.
Agree.Completely.:)

Blaze 18

Banned
I've always maintained that pace isn't the most important weapon in a pace bowler's armory, but I think Praveen may just have to bowl slightly faster if he wants to really trouble the high quality batsmen (no disrespect to West Indies). His average speed seems to be around 120 km/h which I feel is too slow, until and unless the ball's swinging all over the place. England will just bat a foot or two outside their crease to negate his swing. It's a tactic they used successfully against Mohammad Asif last year IIRC (worth noting that Asif is at least 7-8 km/h faster than Kumar).

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I've always maintained that pace isn't the most important weapon in a pace bowler's armory, but I think Praveen may just have to bowl slightly faster if he wants to really trouble the high quality batsmen (no disrespect to West Indies). His average speed seems to be around 120 km/h which I feel is too slow, until and unless the ball's swinging all over the place. England will just bat a foot or two outside their crease to negate his swing. It's a tactic they used successfully against Mohammad Asif last year IIRC (worth noting that Asif is at least 7-8 km/h faster than Kumar).
exactly what I've been saying since teh start of the current series.

Spark

Global Moderator
Worth also noting that Asif is a much, much better bowler than Kumar and also adept at seam bowling.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
PEWS really doesn't rate Ishant, does he? Only one leaving him out. Counter intuitively IMHO.

As an England fan would honestly love Praveen to play. Cook and Trott will bleed him white.

Can't see Big Dunc falling for it tho.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Lords and the Oval are 2 grounds that i would be unsure of playing Praveen ahead of Sreesanth at. Even there it would be close though.

Will certainly play him at the other 2

Howe_zat

Audio File
Fletcher never thought Sidebottom was fast enough for Test cricket, so goodness knows what he thinks of PK. Maybe he's changed his mind? Or perhaps he's just come to accept that he's not going to be dealing with 90+ bowlers for a while...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Praveen >>>>>>>>>>>>> Sree.

Sree self destructs in the middle of a match so often that he even loses his run ups. It's happened multiple times. Get him out.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Fletcher never thought Sidebottom was fast enough for Test cricket, so goodness knows what he thinks of PK. Maybe he's changed his mind? Or perhaps he's just come to accept that he's not going to be dealing with 90+ bowlers for a while...
He'll have to get used to it pretty quickly ,tbh.

Don't think he plays as big a role in selections in any case as he did with England.

sateeshin

Cricket Spectator
Can't see Praveen troubling some of the bigger batting lineups though unless the ball swings around corners. Sreesanth if he isn't playing like rubbish (which he does sometimes play like) has something of an X-factor about him.
I'm with you:dry:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As it stands now i'd say Ishant, Zaheer and PK. That may change but i'd certainly pick PK for the 1st test on what i have seen despite really liking Munaf and thinking he will do well in England.