Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869
Results 1,021 to 1,029 of 1029

Thread: International Cricket Captain: Forumer's Challenge

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    What a win!!! Happy to have put in a contribution too..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Epic reports Jake, great stuff.

Infrequently Asked Questions

1. Is this the end?

Yes, this is the end, my only friends, the end. Three reasons:
    -- I've done what I set out to do. World champions and no.1 ranking. 'ave it.
    -- Interest was only going downhill. By the end of it I was giving up on rotating players, mostly because I was struggling to get a side together of people who I got the impression were still following the thread.
    -- I don't want to become sick of it. I quite enjoyed doing this and I'd like it to stay that way.

2. So who was my player, anyway?

I don't remember. That's the honest answer. When I started this I decided you were all going to be renamed from random domestic players, in order to keep it fair - if I pick one forumer to be Tendulkar and another to be Wasim Jaffer, there's obviously some favouritism going on. Obviously some people were going to turn out to be better than others, but if I'd never heard of the players in question, it wasn't my fault who. The one player I can remember the name of was Corrin's, who was called M Cooray, mostly because of the name sounding similar.

3. But you ended up favouring some players anyway...?

Yeah, because I wanted to reward people who contributed to the thread. Hing for example ended up with a shocker of a player (allrounder my arse, little bat-and-ball icon) but I kept playing him because he was involved. (He actually ended up being quite good eventually, but it took a while). Conversely, Zohaib left CW completely soon after the thing started, so I mostly left him out.

4. We were Sri Lanka, right?

Yep, as some of you worked out. This was because I wanted to take a middling side to being the best in the world, and at the start of the game SL were something like 7th in Tests and 5th in ODIs. The other reason was because I refused to use known internationals, so to make up for it I used Sri Lankans - experienced ICC2005 players will know they're h4x.

5. Did you make stuff up? Our World Cup campaign was ****ing ridiculous, and a lot of stuff happened that just seemed way too convenient.

What am I, a tabloid? I can hand-on-heart say that all those results are genuine, as evidenced by the scorecards. Our world cup campaign was indeed mental, but that's because you lot were just like that as players. And as Morgie observed, I'm often guilty of being a wee bit too aggressive when playing this game.

The one act of shenanigans I can admit to pulling was changing Daniel McGrath's (rvd) player halfway through, because for him I picked an unproven kid who turned out to be toilet (by the time I felt the need to change him, he was an opening batsman averaging less than 25 in FC cricket.) The change didn't really work anyway.

6. Are you ever going to do this again?

Maybe. I don't think I'm ever going to do an exact repeat of it, or if I do, it'll be in a long enough time in the future for me to do it with an almost completely different set of forumers. If I were to do something similar any time soon, it'd have to a) have plenty of interest in it and b) be a very good idea that I didn't think of with this go.

Thanks very much to everyone who took part and kept up the interest and the responses. I probably did put way too much of my time into this, but if you've had fun with it then I'm happy.

[/thread]
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 03-10-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Simon Champion!

Great Work Jake.

Was great fun to follow and the commentary was really well written and awesome.

Hope you do this again.

Simon Champion!
    And wohoo a 160 and 70 for me in the final match and probably Motm to round things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    And wohoo a 160 and 70 for me in the final match and probably Motm to round things up.
    Really should've mentioned that.

Edited my 5th day report. Awarded a PotS too.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Awesome work, Jake.. Hats off.. You really put your valuable time for us to be entertained..

Can we have the rankings and stuff before we end the thread though???

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    1. Is this the end?

Yes, this is the end, my only friends, the end. Three reasons:
    -- I've done what I set out to do. World champions and no.1 ranking. 'ave it.
    -- Interest was only going downhill. By the end of it I was giving up on rotating players, mostly because I was struggling to get a side together of people who I got the impression were still following the thread.
    -- I don't want to become sick of it. I quite enjoyed doing this and I'd like it to stay that way.

2. So who was my player, anyway?

I don't remember. That's the honest answer. When I started this I decided you were all going to be renamed from random domestic players, in order to keep it fair - if I pick one forumer to be Tendulkar and another to be Wasim Jaffer, there's obviously some favouritism going on. Obviously some people were going to turn out to be better than others, but if I'd never heard of the players in question, it wasn't my fault who. The one player I can remember the name of was Corrin's, who was called M Cooray, mostly because of the name sounding similar.

3. But you ended up favouring some players anyway...?

Yeah, because I wanted to reward people who contributed to the thread. Hing for example ended up with a shocker of a player (allrounder my arse, little bat-and-ball icon) but I kept playing him because he was involved. (He actually ended up being quite good eventually, but it took a while). Conversely, Zohaib left CW completely soon after the thing started, so I mostly left him out.

4. We were Sri Lanka, right?

Yep, as some of you worked out. This was because I wanted to take a middling side to being the best in the world, and at the start of the game SL were something like 7th in Tests and 5th in ODIs. The other reason was because I refused to use known internationals, so to make up for it I used Sri Lankans - experienced ICC2005 players will know they're h4x.

5. Did you make stuff up? Our World Cup campaign was ****ing ridiculous, and a lot of stuff happened that just seemed way too convenient.

What am I, a tabloid? I can hand-on-heart say that all those results are genuine, as evidenced by the scorecards. Our world cup campaign was indeed mental, but that's because you lot were just like that as players. And as Morgie observed, I'm often guilty of being a wee bit too aggressive when playing this game.

The one act of shenanigans I can admit to pulling was changing Daniel McGrath's (rvd) player halfway through, because for him I picked an unproven kid who turned out to be toilet (by the time I felt the need to change him, he was an opening batsman averaging less than 25 in FC cricket.) The change didn't really work anyway.

6. Are you ever going to do this again?

Maybe. I don't think I'm ever going to do an exact repeat of it, or if I do, it'll be in a long enough time in the future for me to do it with an almost completely different set of forumers. If I were to do something similar any time soon, it'd have to a) have plenty of interest in it and b) be a very good idea that I didn't think of with this go.

Thanks very much to everyone who took part and kept up the interest and the responses. I probably did put way too much of my time into this, but if you've had fun with it then I'm happy.

[/thread]
    I thought it was merely their bowlers that were h4x?
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    1. Is this the end?

[/thread]
    Mate you're talking about a player with a test 50 to his name. Nothing to dismiss easily.

Think its a bit of a conspiracy that its all finishing up now just as I started to hit my stride after spending numerous series doing nothing
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869

Thread Information