• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

School Cricket in USA - good news

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Wow, that would be great news if it got big there. People say that the limited attention spans of Americans would put them off cricket, but I disagree: for one it's reasonably similar to baseball and secondly the stop-start nature of gridiron is a lot like cricket. Both baseball and gridiron are huge, and I think there's a gap in the American sports market for a more strategic game.

Americans are also into chess and warfare and cricket is like a combination of both.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Yups.And the most exciting thing is that school kids are showing so much interest.

BlazeDragon

Banned
Believe me coming from somebody that lives in US they don't even respect Football (Soccer) that much even though they are in the top 20.

I doubt cricket will be becoming a regular sport here anytime soon. Especially since they already have a similar sport, Baseball. US will always be busy with their domestic sports.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still can't grasp the fact that they televise college sports and people take so much interest in them

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Believe me coming from somebody that lives in US they don't even respect Football (Soccer) that much even though they are in the top 20.

I doubt cricket will be becoming a regular sport here anytime soon. Especially since they already have a similar sport, Baseball. US will always be busy with their domestic sports.
That's the problem with a lot of other countries too.A sport like cricket is kept alive only by test playing nations' migrants in lots of countries.USA is so far behind,but look at Canada.They have played so many world cups.Cricket is their national game.Still,the whole team is of asian origin.

BlazeDragon

Banned
Still,the whole team is of asian origin.
That's the problem nobody in actually cares about it Canada . And as long as some of their native players starts taking interest they won't either.

And US plays with all the top teams all the time in soccer. And they still don't care that much. Their college American Football is probably more popular than their international Soccer. So its pretty much giving yourself false hope if you think cricket will be getting anywhere in US.

They should try and spread it to Europe. Ireland and Netherlands are doing well. If they could become full members in the near future than other countries would start taking interest also.

Last edited:

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah.Probably Cricket can spread more fastly in Europe.Look at Ireland.Almost all their players are native & professional.Netherlands & Scotland are also growing very fast.ICC must concentrate on these three nations.They can be test ready in next 10 years.Apart from them,even Germany,Italy are also doing well.