• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prior vs Kieswetter

Who should be a regular for tests?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Recent form of Kieswetter against Sri Lanka shows this boy has everything that one needs to be in the English team.I wonder why he was dropped even when he performed so well in the T20 WC which they won.
I would rate him better than Prior because England was struggling with the opening pair (so much that they had to call back Cook & make him the captain straightaway!) & Kieswetter have given them a solid half of the opening pair.I believe he would be a success in tests too.
The reason England still stick to Prior is that they don't have a choice.But now,they probably have. :)

Spark

Global Moderator
Holy god in a stick, no.

Kieswetter is a passable ODI batsman at best whose technique would be mutilated at Test level.

Prior is arguably the best Test wk-batsman in the world (although I wouldn't argue it myself, he's definitely up there)

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Holy god in a stick, no.

Kieswetter is a passable ODI batsman at best whose technique would be mutilated at Test level.

Prior is arguably the best Test wk-batsman in the world (although I wouldn't argue it myself, he's definitely up there)
Prior is the best!! What about Dhoni,Boucher,Haddin!!!! :dry:

Spark

Global Moderator
I said "arguably". Prior is up there with Dhoni and Haddin (I'd pick Dhoni, given the choice).

Boucher has regressed drastically in recent times. He's no longer in that class.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Looking at his recent form,he should. 8-)
No, he shouldn't.

Firstly, one day cricket and four/five cricket are not the same. Prior himself is actually a great example of this; he's a crap one day batsman and an excellent longer-form batsman. So much so that if England did play another keeper for some reason, Prior would (or should, at least) hold his place in the Test team ahead of Morgan (and probably Pietersen too, although we all know that wouldn't happen in reality). Kieswetter is the opposite - he's not very good at four-day cricket; he's massively inferior to Prior and no amount of runs in a completely different role as a pinch hitter opening the batting in one day cricket will change that (not that he even actually has a lot of those in ODIs yet, either).

Secondly, you don't just pick your team based on 'form'. Form by its very nature is cyclical and will change erratically, so unless you want a completely different team for every match with a large amount of guesswork and no continuity, then you have to pick your team largely on proven ability and medium-term performance.

Basically, your suggestion is absurd.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
No, he shouldn't.

Firstly, one day cricket and four/five cricket are not the same. Prior himself is actually a great example of this; he's a crap one day batsman and an excellent longer-form batsman. So much so that if England did play another keeper for some reason, Prior would (or should, at least) hold his place in the Test team ahead of Morgan (and probably Pietersen too, although we all know that wouldn't happen in reality). Kieswetter is the opposite - he's not very good at four-day cricket; he's massively inferior to Prior and no amount of runs in a completely different role as a pinch hitter opening the batting in one day cricket will change that (not that he even actually has a lot of those in ODIs yet, either).

Secondly, you don't just pick your team based on 'form'. Form by its very nature is cyclical and will change erratically, so unless you want a completely different team for every match with a large amount of guesswork and continuity, then you have to pick your team largely on proven ability and medium-term performance.

Basically, your suggestion is absurd
Always with the final biting riposte :laugh:

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Well there's no point babying him; he's going to see far harsher stuff than that in his time here if he stays around. :p
Don't worry mate.I have enough experience.I was a regular here with a different username in 2007-2008.I have come back after years.I have been involved in debates with even SJS too.So don't doubt my POWER. :laugh:

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
I doubt instead of voting for Kieswetter,you all will ask the moderator to thrash this thread. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.