• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pollock vs Walsh

The better bower

• Total voters

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'll go for Walsh here. But I have major respect for Pollock for almost carrying his team, Kallis aside, during his captaincy.

jan

State Vice-Captain
wickets in all formats = Pollock > Walsh
wickets in tests = Walsh > Pollock

hmm :unsure:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd go for Walsh - he did have Curtley Ambrose to support him but for the greater part of his career he played for a team in decline and his performance in his last series against South Africa, aged 38 and without any significant support, was remarkable.

As for Pollock he had Donald and a clutch of other fine bowlers.

..and Walsh's record against Australia is markedly better

Although if the OP referred to Pollock senior I might take a different view :)

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'd go for Walsh - he did have Curtley Ambrose to support him but for the greater part of his career he played for a team in decline and his performance in his last series against South Africa, aged 38 and without any significant support, was remarkable.

As for Pollock he had Donald and a clutch of other fine bowlers.

..and Walsh's record against Australia is markedly better

Although if the OP referred to Pollock senior I might take a different view :)
I agree, but I'm not sure about the bolded part. Early on he had Donald, and later Ntini, but during Pollock's best years as a bowler - chiefly his time as captain - Pollock was by far the top bowler in the team. Kallis was probably his next best.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree, but I'm not sure about the bolded part. Early on he had Donald, and later Ntini, but during Pollock's best years as a bowler - chiefly his time as captain - Pollock was by far the top bowler in the team. Kallis was probably his next best.
I was thinking of Fanie DeViliers, Brian McMillan and Nantie Hayward but on reflection he didn't play too often with the first two, and Nantie's stats suggest he wasn't as good as I recall him being!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love Courtney, but have to go for Pollock here.

Also, :laugh: at McRam.