• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pollock vs Walsh

The better bower

• Total voters

Zohaib©

Cricket Spectator
Obviously Shaun Pollock , he is one of the best limited over bowlers and I wouldn't say these 2 bowlers are underrated. They both have their strength's and weakness's i.e. Walsh was good at Test cricket whiles Pollock was best at the shorter formats but also did do well in the Test's when he was at his peak. He just went downhill afterone stage in his career , lost his pace

And if you compare their averages , Pollock wins easily
Pollock : Test - 23 , ODI - 25
Walsh - Test - 24 , ODI - 30

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Pollock. I feared him more than I did Donald against us. Granted I didn't watch Donald in '96-'97.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Lol,at people who think pollock greater than walsh.
Just because people saw the old declining walsh they are harsh on him,should go and watch some footage of him terrorizing robin smith,breaking manoj prabhakar's nose.
Pollock is a better one day bowler but tests no way.
Walsh bowled the highest number of deliveries by a fast bowlers in test cricket.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Many people underestimate Walsh. I'm one of them. And so, Pollock for me. Great bowler.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tough one, their records are really close (exactly the same strike-rate). Walsh the more likely to find movement on all pitches but Pollock less likely to need it to bowl well. Both had their periods of being the only game in town in their teams and both were good enough to take advantage of a pitch which did offer them something. Pollock more consistent, Walsh more likely to take the initiative and break through when his team really needed it (probably as much a reflection of who their captains were too).

Too close to call for me. Wasimqar MacRam the obvious choice.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Walsh wins for me, one of the most underrated bowlers of his generation. Pollock was really only a good bowler for around half a decade, after which he was always on the decline. Walsh played for 17 years and even at the fag end of his career he was destroying batting lineups at will.

biased indian

International Coach
Walsh wins for me, one of the most underrated bowlers of his generation. Pollock was really only a good bowler for around half a decade, after which he was always on the decline. Walsh played for 17 years and even at the fag end of his career he was destroying batting lineups at will.
this for me

hang on

State Vice-Captain
he did have a late career resurgence, no doubt, and he was superb bowler, but it wasn't like he was destroying batting lineups consistently throughout his 17 year career. and, despite pollock having a peak for about 5 years, it was such a peak that his subsequent tailing off still left his record in the stratospheric realm.

both superb bowlers but pollock takes it for me.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
When Pollock had taken about 300 wickets, he had a bowling average better than any bowler to take 200+ wickets. Still he was always under the shadows of Donald always. Like McGrath, Pollock also had the knack of picking big fishes consistently. Not so sure if that's what Walsh also did often enough (haven't looked at Walsh's career very closely however).