• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Wicketkeeper Since 1990?

salman85

International Debutant
Only talking of skill as a wicketkeeper here.Not ability as a batsman.

Any keeper who played the majority of his career after 1990 can be included.So a debut in the 1980s is not an issue here.

Personally,i'm divided between Rashid Latif and Jack Russell.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Latif and Healey were the first two names I thought of.

Best keeper I've seen in my cricket-watching span is still James Foster.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't see much of Jack Russell's keeping, but he had a very terrier-like quality with the bat.. extremely dogged.

See what I did there?

gvenkat

State Captain
Only talking of skill as a wicketkeeper here.Not ability as a batsman.

Any keeper who played the majority of his career after 1990 can be included.So a debut in the 1980s is not an issue here.

Personally,i'm divided between Rashid Latif and Jack Russell.
Gilly. His batting overshadowed his keeping that is all. Gilly would still take spectacular catches and what not and he could walk in to any team just as a keeper.

If you want to say pick a keeper whose batting sucked, Then I would go with Mongia although he was a reasonable bat.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jack Russell for me though i will admit that i didn't see enough of Rashid Latif to know whether he was the same standard as you didn't get as much cricket broadcast back then.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jack Russell edges Healy for me. As marc said, travesty he didn't play more for us. Averaged about 4 runs less per innings than Stewie did with the gloves, who in turn averaged about 15 less keeping than he did as a pure batsman. Sigh.

Gilchrist was a very underrated keeper too. The fact that he was a genius with the bat obscured the fact he was a very good gloveman as well.

Only seem him once, but Manou looked the dog's bollocks as a keeper when I did. He was so far ahead of Haddin and Prior it was staggering.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Jack Russell edges Healy for me. As marc said, travesty he didn't play more for us. Averaged about 4 runs less per innings than Stewie did with the gloves, who in turn averaged about 15 less keeping than he did as a pure batsman. Sigh.
Essentially, Stewart never should have told anyone he could bat. Robbed us of a quality opener and a quality keeper...

Z-Man

U19 Vice-Captain
I have not seen much cricket of the 90's but Gilly was my favorite.
The Australian Afridi.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd go for Jack Russell on the basis he had a relatively long test career (though as has been said not as long as it should have been) but tbh as a pure keeper I think James Foster is his equal

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
As an Aussie I always felt Healy overrated and Gilchrist underrated simply because of their batting.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's amazing how wicketkeepers are pigeon-holed (as either a keeper who can barely bat or a batsman who can barely keep) early on in their careers, and then aren't allowed to change no matter how they improve. Chris Read probably the no.1 example of this.