• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour Matches

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
I was just wondering how many tour matches are there.I heard there is only one.This is very annoying.India hardly plays any tour match on tours & that's why something horrible happens to them in the first few matches of a tour. (Remember the innings defeat against SA last year?)
Conventionally,it's only England who are keeping this process of tour matches for the guests.And even the guests like BCCI XI (i.e India) have hardly any interest in playing tour matches because they don't want to extend a tour as they have such a busy schedule.
God save them from Tremlett,Anderson,Broad,Finn & Bresnan.:dry:

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Road to first tour match : India vs Somerset

A disappointing draw for India on the last day of the third test vs WI.But now, we are into the very much more famous-to be India's tour of England.
Only 4 days for the Indian players to pack up their bags from the carribean,arrive at Taunton & play a 3-day tour game against Somerset from July 15th.BCCI to be blamed.Too harsh for the players considering they need some rest & the jet-lag factor too.The tour match should have been from 20th,atleast.
Although,bit of a relief for some major players as some of the seniors who missed out the WI tour will make up in the tour match XI & players like Harbhajan,Ishant,Praveen & Raina,who played all the three back to back tests in WI may get a rest.
Looking forward to the return of Great Sachin,vice-captain Gambhir & Zaheer.
India may try their pace bowlers like Sreesanth & Munaf along with Zaheer in the match & test which of them is bowling better.But the likely combination for the first test IMO is Zaheer,Ishant & Praveen.
Gambhir & Sachin will get good match practice along with a look at the conditions.
Yuvraj will look to cash this opportunity & try to confirm his spot in the XI for first test.Although,Raina's not so good performance in WI may help him get into the XI automatically too.
Amit Mishra should be tried in English conditions & check how much back-up Indians have for Harbhajan.
Somerset looks a competitive side on paper.It will be interesting too see how much they can trouble the no.1 test side.Looking forward to watching Trescothick's batting after so many years.They have other good batsmen like Hildreth,Compton,Kieswetter,etc too.
In the bowling department they experienced bowlers like Thomas,Trego & Willoughby.
And i don't know how Murali Kartik will feel playing against his own country.
All & all i hope this is going to be an exciting tour.:)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Somerset will fill the side with students and be brushed aside. Seriously doubt guys like Tresco, Kartik and Kirby will play.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Somerset will fill the side with students and be brushed aside. Seriously doubt guys like Tresco, Kartik and Kirby will play.
This is not good.Atleast the likes of Tendulkar,Gambhir,Zaheer deserve a good practice.
The BCCI should then send an Anirudh Srikanth captained India 'A' side for the tour match.:laugh:

Bun

Banned
biased indian,

iafaik rhere is just one tour match rite? before first test??

not at all enuff... lankans got two and it was a three test series...

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
biased indian,

iafaik rhere is just one tour match rite? before first test??

not at all enuff... lankans got two and it was a three test series...
There are two actually.The 2nd one is after the 2nd test,against Nottinghamshire.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
This is not good.Atleast the likes of Tendulkar,Gambhir,Zaheer deserve a good practice.
The BCCI should then send an Anirudh Srikanth captained India 'A' side for the tour match.:laugh:
Australian posters are welcome to correct me, but none of tbe state sides played full strength sides on the Ashes tour.

Tour games are about spending time in the middle and getting rid of rustiness, which India will need considering Gambhir, Tendulkar and Zaheer have all missed the Windies tour.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
Australian posters are welcome to correct me, but none of tbe state sides played full strength sides on the Ashes tour.

Tour games are about spending time in the middle and getting rid of rustiness, which India will need considering Gambhir, Tendulkar and Zaheer have all missed the Windies tour.
But when teams tour India,we give them India 'A' to play with.

biased indian

International Coach

one game was against Aus A..which was good side

as for states teams i not aware of them fully but both teams WA & SA had lot of known name's...

think BCCI should have asked for an England A side do they provide such a team in tour matches in England ?

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
one game was against Aus A..which was good side

as for states teams i not aware of them fully but both teams WA & SA had lot of known name's...

think BCCI should have asked for an England A side do they provide such a team in tour matches in England ?
Yes teams do play against England A (Lions) in tour matches.