• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kumar Sangakkara slams corrupt SLC

smash84

The Tiger King
haha......yeah.....if Akash Chopra's cricketing skills were anywhere close to his writing skills he would have made a great cricketer

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Amazing lecture. He was so measured.

Sanga knows he's untouchable in SL cricket. WAG!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You think it'll be limited to his time with Sri Lankan cricket? You're much more optimistic than I. It's politics and it's run by politicians. He has to live somewhere for the rest of his life.

Lostman

State Captain
Yea I do. If he is not going to be politically involved, no one is really going to bother.
Still think there will be good that comes from this.

Himannv

International Coach
Still think there will be good that comes from this.
Of all the things that may happen, this is one of the things that will definitely not happen. Just like every other issue that arises in Sri Lanka, "inquiries" will be made, political speeches will be made, reports will be asked for etc, etc. However once this issue leaves the forefront of the minds of people (in this case, specially the people outside the country), nothing will happen.

And then they'll deal with Sanga. Hopefully it will just be the end of his cricket career and nothing more.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha no he isn't. And he'll find out the hard way. For the next 20 years.
Nah he's not an idiot. This was a measured criticism. If you reckon he hasn't thought about the consequences of this yet than you're seriously underestimating Sanga.

Himannv

International Coach
What does this mean?
Well, lets just say you dont go around making statements to the global press about "connected" people. If you remember, in his speech he mentioned a newspaper editor friend of his. That guy was murdered.

If he said this in Sri Lanka or even if he put up it in an article in a Sri Lankan paper, it would be a lesser issue. However making it a global statement like this is asking for trouble.

Spark

Global Moderator
If physical harm comes to Sanga because of criticisms then SL should be suspended from int'l cricket IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If there is retaliation (and IMO there will be without a doubt), it's not going to be anything like that most likely. They'll just needle him and get in his way if he wants to do something, start a business, get some kind of high profile job, etc (that's how things usually work in India at least, if you offend the wrong people).

Himannv

International Coach
Exactly. Its unlikely to be physical harm mainly because he's a public figure globally and also because what he said will most likely blow over after a while. I think his cricket career will be the first to take a hit once they find a reasonable excuse. Also whatever happens will occur after a while, not now while everyones got their eyes on this.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Don't think Sanga gives a **** about his future with the SLC anyway. In hindsight his reluctance to take over the captaincy last month seems as good a sign as any of what was to come. He's well off and street smart enough to just leave the country if push comes to shove.

mono

U19 Debutant
Well nothings going to happen to anyone, neither is anything going to change. Arjuna has made far bigger accusations over the years and nothing has happened to him. Besides it's not like Sanga really said anything particularly accusatory in his speech, he simply told the world what we as sri lankans have known for decades. It's people like peter roebuck who's taking what sanga said and pathetically converting it into an anti government political tirade.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If there is retaliation (and IMO there will be without a doubt), it's not going to be anything like that most likely. They'll just needle him and get in his way if he wants to do something, start a business, get some kind of high profile job, etc (that's how things usually work in India at least, if you offend the wrong people).
Lol, why bring up starting a business when I said Sanga is untouchable with SL cricket? Never said this would have no consequences in terms of pissing of some corrupt pollies or two. Such speculation is not worth discussing (particularly on a cricket board) as that is all it is, speculation.

But he knows where his cricket career is at, and the pulling power he wields (if he was ever dropped without justification there would be a reaction). He chose his words very carefully and I'm sure he knows what is the worst that could come from him making such a speech.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Sangakkara is a treasure for saying this.

I lived with a bunch of Sri Lankans a few years back, great people, deserve better than they get from their politicians (which is true of almost every nation/race/people on Earth, but especially for them).