• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whom would you take in your team based on form?

Whom would you take in your test team based on form?

• Total voters

Howe_zat

Audio File
Tremmers has just won Player of the Series in his most recent Test series, his form is hardly in question. Ishant bowled as well as he's ever been capable of in Barbados, but it's still just one Test against a very shaky batting lineup, so let's take that with some moderation.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was impressive how many top-order wickets Tremlett took in the recent series. If I remember correctly, he set up England's push for victory at Cardiff by taking the first 3-4 wickets. Troubled batsmen of the quality of Sanga, Mahela and Samaraweera plenty, didn't seem to have any difficulty bowling to left-handers, and rarely bowled a bad delivery apart from one or two down the legside early in his spell, when he started to a left-hander.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It was impressive how many top-order wickets Tremlett took in the recent series. If I remember correctly, he set up England's push for victory at Cardiff by taking the first 3-4 wickets. Troubled batsmen of the quality of Sanga, Mahela and Samaraweera plenty, didn't seem to have any difficulty bowling to left-handers, and rarely bowled a bad delivery apart from one or two down the legside early in his spell, when he started to a left-hander.
Tremlett won us the game in Cardiff. He started the collapse by getting Dilshan, Paranavitana and Jayawardene with high quality bowling, and the wickets from there on were from panicking shots - part of why I said Swann was generally played badly in the series.

As Andy Zaltzman put it:
Tremlett should have been Man of the Match in this game – his three early wickets turned victory from an unlikely afterthought into a strong possibility, blitzing a strong upper order on a good batting pitch, and his fourth removed Prasanna Jayawardene, first-innings centurion and the final major barrier to success. In terms of impact on the game, his was the decisive performance. If England’s batsmen chopped the vegetables and minced the beef, it was Tremlett who cooked the Bolognese.
Edit - and since his recall, 23 of his 30 wickets have been top 7 batsmen.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If Ishant could match Tremlett in this series, and Zaheer stays fit then the bowling gap between the two sides becomes very minimal tbh or even completely closes.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Though I agree that Ishant did nothing much recently before this series, but he has just taken 16 wickets in this series so far at an average of 13.62 in two tests, is clearly the front-runner so far to be the MOTS, and is now ranked 7th in ICC's ranking of current test bowlers.

I know that Tremlett has done extremely well in the last series (and pretty well in the series before that, too) and may just win this from an unbiased point of view.

vcs

Tremlett won us the game in Cardiff. He started the collapse by getting Dilshan, Paranavitana and Jayawardene with high quality bowling, and the wickets from there on were from panicking shots - part of why I said Swann was generally played badly in the series.

As Andy Zaltzman put it:

Edit - and since his recall, 23 of his 30 wickets have been top 7 batsmen.
Yeah, I figured it'd be something like that.

vcs

It might be a blessing in disguise for Tremlett that he was out of the selectors' reckoning due to injuries between 2007-10.. probably gave him plenty of time to understand and perfect his bowling. He might be a guy whose career figures end up looking extremely good because he was picked exactly when he was ready to do damage.

Ishant is 22 and has plenty of time (though I know that experience does not necessarily guarantee continuous improvement).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To quote myself from a different thread about something else, this is like asking if I would rather have dinner with Scarlett Johnasson or Jono. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It might be a blessing in disguise for Tremlett that he was out of the selectors' reckoning due to injuries between 2007-10.. probably gave him plenty of time to understand and perfect his bowling. He might be a guy whose career figures end up looking extremely good because he was picked exactly when he was ready to do damage.

Ishant is 22 and has plenty of time (though I know that experience does not necessarily guarantee continuous improvement).
A 22 year old with a hundred test wickets is not going to come along every day. He needs a lot of work but there's talent there and it shouldn't be wasted.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
A 22 year old with a hundred test wickets is not going to come along every day. He needs a lot of work but there's talent there and it shouldn't be wasted.

We wasted him as a 23 year old tbf.

Though Ishant is probably a better all conditions talent with the ball.

shankar

International Debutant
Tremmers has just won Player of the Series in his most recent Test series, his form is hardly in question. Ishant bowled as well as he's ever been capable of in Barbados, but it's still just one Test against a very shaky batting lineup, so let's take that with some moderation.
On the thread question, it's Tremlett obviously. But the Barbados performance isn't close to Ishant's best. I'd say his best was in the Aus in India '08 series. Averaged 27 on utterly dead tracks where no other seamer on either side came close - Took the most wickets in that series as well including this. That was a time when he had a consistent incoming delivery which he's just trying to get back now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So four people would actually rather have dinner with Jono. What the **** is wrong with you people?

Seven day ban for all of you.

biased indian

International Coach
On the thread question, it's Tremlett obviously. But the Barbados performance isn't close to Ishant's best. I'd say his best was in the Aus in India '08 series. Averaged 27 on utterly dead tracks where no other seamer on either side came close - Took the most wickets in that series as well including this. That was a time when he had a consistent incoming delivery which he's just trying to get back now.
he is almost there and when compared to the last 2 test ..the pitches in England should be lot quicker and even if he maintain the same standard he will be hand full

Bun

Banned
ishanth the most talented of those....

but purely on awesomeness atm, got to be omlette