• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in Zimbabwe Thread

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Morning session was fairly even 85/3, although the West Indies should be confident that they'll roll Zim for less than 230.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Not on a flattish track. 284/6

Gripper 41, Wishart 47, Matsikenyeri 57, Taibu 75*

Edwards 3/73

Taylor 1/32 ... and off the field injured after 9.4 overs

Why did I change my prediction :P

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Zimbabwe doing one of their better Test days of the year - although cricinfo wants them to have performed badly, getting out with stupid strokes, the fact remains that they have scored 284/6 against a team which has a well renowned history in cricket, and a relatively solid team. Just hope Lara and Chanderpaul can score some runs so my predictions will be right again :(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
West Indies use NINE bowlers on the first day of a test match - against Zimbabwe.

Now call me old-fashioned, but what on earth is there to gain by that?

It's silly. The West Indies are taking this 'togetherness' a little too far, methinks.

Chubb

International Regular
Matsikenyeri 57 on test debut

:D

I'm not going to say "I told you so" but now perhaps there will be less talk of Matsikenyeri as having "Zero technique" etc.:P I told you guys he had class and could be a good player!!!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm confused....

Have a look at the Wagon Wheels for this match and explain to me how a batsman can have (-4) as a scoring shot.

Is there some kind of penalty I'm missing? I can't check in the ball-by-ball because the whole of Day 1 hasn't been archived yet.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
West Indies use NINE bowlers on the first day of a test match - against Zimbabwe.

Now call me old-fashioned, but what on earth is there to gain by that?

It's silly. The West Indies are taking this 'togetherness' a little too far, methinks.
I don't have a problem with Gayle and Sarwan bowling a few overs. Collymore and Edwards bowled crap. Collymore looked as though his back was a bit tender, but hopefully that's not the case. Taylor went off with only 9.4 overs bowled. Drakes bowled 18 and Hinds was useful as a fifth seamer. Chanderpaul came on to try to be the partnership breaker. Ganga.... I can't justify that.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Well done Zimbabwe for a good, consistant innings with not just one but 4 performers. I can't help thinking that i reallly want Taibu to make a hundred here, i really like this guy and want to see him do well.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good to see this from Zim, I hope that some good performances hush those who think they would get beaten by Bangladesh, not yet...

Good to see Taibu in the runs, he is the future of Zimbabwean cricket, and Trevor Gripper looks solid up the order... Im not a fan of Matsikenyeri but if he continues to score runs then kudos to him...

How is Fidel Edwards bowling? He was outstanding against SL...

Is Blessing Mahwire the least impressive test cricketer of modern times?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
How is Fidel Edwards bowling? He was outstanding against SL...
Fidel Edwards looks distinctly short of practice and out of rhythm. I think he'll be better in the 2nd Test.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks as though Zimbabwe had a good day at the office. I have yet to have seen Edwards & Taylor but it looks as though Zimbabwe played them comfortably from the scorecard..from what I gathered 2 of Edwards wicket were just poor shots.

I agree that Edwards will come back in the 2nd test...he's hardly played first class cricket & is on a steep learning curve at this stage.

Craig

World Traveller
I would expect to see Gayle and Sarwan to bowl since Samuels isnt playing. Chanderpaul I havent seen bowl or nor have I seen Ganga bowl, but sometimes that is goin a tad to far.

In fact youwould expect to see Wavell Hinds bowling if he was playing as well.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Unfortunate for Taibu there out for 83.:( Good innings though. Heath Streak seems to be batting well and is currently on 43*.:)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Edwards has bowled very well today. Some sharp bouncers and a smart off-cutter which Taibu dragged on.

Re: Chanderpaul. He was actually touted as an allrounder at the start of his career, and actually bowled with as a 5th or 6th bowler, but I suppose they decided to stop him from bowling for the same reason they stopped Lara from bowling - they want to limit his chances of injury.