• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Australia Thread

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Topped. :)

Predicton: 4-0 Australia's way, unless India steal a Test which, considering they're not playing in Sydney, looks unlikely.

masterblaster

International Captain
Oh mate, its going to be a wipeout.

Australia 4-0 series win, but im hoping - just hoping that this Indian team performs better than their 1999 counterparts.

Personally, I think Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra will really step up on this tour. Its going to be an important tour for the younger fast bowlers.

esgallindeion

U19 12th Man
I'm hoping for something not as bad as a 4-0. Maybe a 2-1 or a 3-1.

Indian Bowlers who should do well - Zaheer, Nehra and (hopefully) Agarkar.

Indian Batsmen who should do well - Dravid, Laxman and Sachin.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
haha yea 4-0 wipeout for sure..

unless someone wants to oppose that with some back'd up evidence..

I doubt laxman will perform that well in Aus

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I think probably 3-0.....India may salvage a draw..........Lord of Darkness is right, Laxman does not like the extra bounce in Australian pitches, and Dravid had a horror tour here last time for largely the same reason.........if we have everyone fit, I can't see their batsman handling McGrath (if fit) Lee and Gillespie, with Williams and Bichel in support.
Batting is the Indians strength, but I think our batting is probably superior on our home tracks.

Andre

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
Topped. :)

Predicton: 4-0 Australia's way, unless India steal a Test which, considering they're not playing in Sydney, looks unlikely.
For the first time ever mate, I think your wrong :P

There are 2 Tests in Sydney this year for some bizzare reason, so the New Year's is at the SCG.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
esgallindeion said:
No, I feel confident that Dravid will be the best batsman of the team, ie, apart from Tendulkar.
Not if last tour was an indication!
I can see it now.......short leg, leg gully.........Lee around the wicket, rising balls up into the ribcage/armpit/throat.......Dravid will not handle it.
Tendulkar may do ok, I think he scored 1 century last time, but Laxman will get blasted out as well.

Top_Cat

There are 2 Tests in Sydney this year for some bizzare reason, so the New Year's is at the SCG.
That's a disgrace. There are 6 Tests this year, Bellerive gets none and Sydney gets TWO??!!?!? Darwin and Cairns get more Test cricket than Tassie this year! I tell ya, it's awfully hard not to believe in a bias in favour of NSW when stuff like this happens.

Top_Cat

I can see it now.......short leg, leg gully.........Lee around the wicket, rising balls up into the ribcage/armpit/throat.......Dravid will not handle it.
Which exactly how they DIDN'T get Dravid last time. In fact, I lost count of how many times he was out caught behind pushing hard at the seaming ball. It got monotonous after a while. Maybe that's a better idea against a guy who can defend better than most. :)

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Which exactly how they DIDN'T get Dravid last time. In fact, I lost count of how many times he was out caught behind pushing hard at the seaming ball. It got monotonous after a while. Maybe that's a better idea against a guy who can defend better than most. :)
Hmm.....I think he actually found some new ways to get out, but he was definitely out a couple of times fending short deliveries, I'm not insane. :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Kenny said:
Not if last tour was an indication!
The last tour was so long ago, it can't be considered an indication of how he will play now. Dravid is a much improved batsman.

Andre

International Regular
Re: Re: *official* India in Australia

marc71178 said:
:rolleyes: First Test starts in about 7 weeks! Is that soon now?
Considering Australia tour India in about 2 weeks, I'm wondering why this thread is for India IN Australia :rolleyes:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
While I think Australia will win, I don't think it will be as easy as everyone thinks. India are a much different team than the team that toured in 1999 (although they basically have the same personel). What I mean is they are a team who play a different style of game to the one that toured in 1999. They have had a few years with John Wright as their coach and he has formed a good partnership with Ganguly. Ganguly will do his best to fustrate Steve Waugh, which is something that will work in India's favour. Ganguly is a much better captain than Tendulkar and Tendulkar now is in an unfamiliar situation where he doesn't have all the pressure on him. Dravid is the most in form batter of the Indian team, Shewag has added some vigor to the batting order and Laxman is starting to be consistent. When Tendlukar really gets used to this role, the other teams better watch out. He has been a bit off lately (and he is still scoring a lot of runs) and he may just hit his straps in Australia. With four tests we will more than likely see close to 400 (at the very least) runs from him.

The bowling is the main improver since the '99 tour. Khan is improving and Kumble and Harbajhan are proving a formidable combination. With the Indians finally having a versatile attack that when matured will be able to be competitive on pace and spin friendly wickets, they will improve their record away from home.

All this of course depends on the strength of the Aussie team. If MacGill is injured, you can be assured the Indian batsman will tear Hogg apart. Australia NEED Gillespie fit for this series.

Once again, it will depend on how India do on the first day at the GABBA, if they are 2/306 they have gone a long way to being competitive. But if they are bowled out or 8/240 they will be in a lot of trouble, and will find it hard to recover.

On the other hand, if Australia are 2/306 - Goodbye competitive series! But if Australia are 8/240 they can still win the series.

Let us all hope it is a competitve and thouroughly enjoyable series.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Surely everyone expects Australia to win this series, but I think it could be close. Zaheer is a decent bowler these days so if him and Nehra perform well, Harbhajan should also enjoy some success (maybe not quite on a par with the last time these sides met!), and India could keep themselves in contention.

Elsewhere, one would expect Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly to fare pretty well, and I think Laxman gets alot of unfair stick, so I would expect those four (and maybe Sehwag also) to score some runs. For this reason I think India are as well equipped as anyone at the moment to give Australia a competitive series.

That said, the above players still need to perform and I would still expect Australia to win about 3-1.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well Australia are certainly firm favourites but the main factors I think will be-
*Whether McGrath & Gillespie recover from their respective injuries & then manage to stay fit.

*I think its safe to say SRT will do well anywhere but Sehwag , Dravid , Ganguly & Laxman are all either unproven in Aussie conditions or did poorly last time around , if they play as they can then the Australian bowling ranks may come under some pressure.

*I dont think Kumble will pose much of a threat out here but although Harbhajan wont turn the ball like he did in India , he will still get some wealthy bounce which could worry Ponting & Waugh , Martyn early on.

*Whether Nehra & Khan get carried away by the pace in the pitches on their first tour down under or restrain themselves & bowl patiently.

*I also think that Mr MacGill may be in for a bit of a hiding.

Key Matchups-

Jason Gillespie v Virender Sehwag

Stuart MacGill v Sourav Ganguly

Matthew Hayden v Zaheer Khan

Ricky Ponting v Harbhajan Singh

Really I think 3-0 , its gotta rain somewhere & India do have an impressive batting lineup.:O