• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gayle says 'enough is enough'

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Been on the cards for ages and no surprise but a great shame nonetheless - in reality I suspect WICB need him more than he needs them

BlazeDragon

Banned
This is the third career gone down the drain in the last 2 months. First Afridi, then Katich, and now Gayle. All 3 because of their boards and not performance.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Exactly that. There is no reason for any meeting to have to be delayed until August. Why does Gayle have to meet so many different people?

Hilaire's approach is disgusting really. This should simply be meetings between him, Gayle, the management and the disciplinary committee. No need for the run around except to delay him playing again as long as possible. They ignored him except the physio and I think a doctor when he was injured and only contacted him once he was going to the IPL.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I read a report that the WIPA chairman (?) Ramnaraine has a lot to blame for. Apparently he insists that all communication between the WICB and Gayle be routed through the WIPA, and there be absolutely no direct communication between the two. Seems to me to be a powerplay to make the WIPA seem more relevant than they are/should be? I don't see a reason why the WICB shouldn't be allowed to contact a player directly.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
All communication on contracts and the like should go through WIPA. If you follow the history of this issue you'll see that Hilaire ignored this and went directly to Gayle and threatened him for asking if the contract was vetted by WIPA. They've done nothing wrong here.

Be careful of which reports you read. According to some Ramnarine threatened Hilaire with a chair and yet here is Gayle saying that didn't happen.

shivfan

Banned
Been on the cards for ages and no surprise but a great shame nonetheless - in reality I suspect WICB need him more than he needs them
I think you've hit the nail on the head, here....

As a result, I would recommend a more practical approach. The WICB should try to work with Gayle, and his commitments to 20/20 competitions, and not keep trying to put barriers in his way. Because, after all, today it's Gayle, and tomorrow it's Pollard, the Bravos, Taylor, Russell, Simmons, and who knows who else?

I suspect that the next stage is for Gayle to commit himself to the 20/20 competitions in Sri Lanka and Australia, and if the WICB refuse to grant a NOC, he may announce his retirement from WI cricket, which would be a big blow to the Windies, with the limited amount of talent available.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
All communication on contracts and the like should go through WIPA. If you follow the history of this issue you'll see that Hilaire ignored this and went directly to Gayle and threatened him for asking if the contract was vetted by WIPA. They've done nothing wrong here.

Be careful of which reports you read. According to some Ramnarine threatened Hilaire with a chair and yet here is Gayle saying that didn't happen.
I don't get why it should be set in stone that all player contracts should go through the WIPA, tbh. IMO there's nothing wrong in approaching a player directly, especially if the WIPA have shown themselves unreasonable to work with.

And I;ve been reading an interview of Carl Hooper, where it was mentioned that he found it hard to get along with Ramnaraine as a player too. I don't know the guy personally, but from all the stuff I've read I have no reason to not believe that Ramnaraine is an unpleasant and unreasonable person to work with in a professional capacity. And Gayle isn't the epitome of truth.

Params7

Cricket Spectator
Are you seriously pointing all blame on Ramnarine and none on the CEO and coach Gibson after all what Gayle has said about them? I'm going to pick Gayle's side and what he's saying on this one. As for his loyalty, you don't have much to say when he was okay with not being bought in the auctions and only got picked after it was confirmed he will not be picked for Pakistan. Or do you want him to stay unemployed to prove his loyalty?

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't give a rats ass for what Gayle has to say on this issue. He has no qualms about ditching his Test side for T20 riches. His views are well known. Are you suggesting he has no vested interests in siding with Ramnaraine and bad mouthing anyone who doesn't agree to the terms of an unconditional return for him? The WICB aren't saints, but it'd be stupid to pin all the blame on them and none on the WIPA and Gayle for this situation.

Params7

Cricket Spectator
He has no qualms about ditching his Test side for T20 riches.
How?

Are you suggesting he has no vested interests in siding with Ramnaraine and bad mouthing anyone who doesn't agree to the terms of an unconditional return for him?
And what are those unconditional terms?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He refused to sign a central contract and ditched the Caribbean League in favour of playing the Big bash. It was made clear that those who didn't play the Caribbean League wouldn't be considered for selection by the West Indies.

And what are those unconditional terms?
Its 'unconditional'. Its self explanatory.