Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 56

Thread: Ranking System - Batsman with over 5000 Test Runs

  1. #31
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,393
    Quote Originally Posted by miscer View Post
    sangakkara cook superior to lara, gavaskar, richards, tendulkar, dravid, ponting, sehwag?
    wut?
    also hayden better than richards? no man, no.

    and yea sangakkara is rated far too highly.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscer View Post
    then it's pointless to make such a list i mean what is it supposed to be indicative of then? How high particular batsman are on the list itself lol? That means nothing.
    What does Kumar Sangakarra have to do to be considered better than say Dravid?

    Kumar Sangakarra has a superior highest score, averages more, makes ducks less frequently, scores 50+ in an innings more often so I find it absurd that someone would not think it's conceivable that he would be ranked higher.

    I don't expect anyone to say Matthew Hayden was actually a better player than Viv Richards and state it as FACT because of the list I have done, but this works in the same way as averages.

  2. #32
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Read the thread.

    NUFAN, could you try Clarke, Katich, Watson, Hussey?
    1. Simon Katich 0.958
    2. Michael Hussey 0.873
    3. Michael Clarke 0.641
    4. Shane Watson 0.545

  3. #33
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,393
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    interesting to note that in the list of retired players Javed Miandad edges out Greg Chappell. Always felt that Miandad is under rated
    Miandad was awesome, it could take another 100 years before Pakistan produce a better Test batsman.

    I guess the most interesting ratings in this are comparing batsman who played in the same era, or even better for the same team in the same era.

    Stewart vs Atherton, Boon vs MWaugh, Taylor vs Slater, Hayden vs Langer, Tendulkar vs Dravid, Sobers vs Kanhai, Gooch vs Gower, Greenidge vs Haynes and the list goes on.

  4. #34
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,696
    Has anyone else noticed that the second through 5th places are all English?

    Just saying. Though I would have Hutton over Barrington, and maybe the other two.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."


  5. #35
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,064
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Miandad was awesome, it could take another 100 years before Pakistan produce a better Test batsman.

    I guess the most interesting ratings in this are comparing batsman who played in the same era, or even better for the same team in the same era.

    Stewart vs Atherton, Boon vs MWaugh, Taylor vs Slater, Hayden vs Langer, Tendulkar vs Dravid, Sobers vs Kanhai, Gooch vs Gower, Greenidge vs Haynes and the list goes on.
    Yup, Miandad easily Pakistan's best ever batsman IMO.

    Good work Nufan. This list does give an alternative perspective compared to simple averages
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  6. #36
    International 12th Man weeman27bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the second through 5th places are all English?

    Just saying. Though I would have Hutton over Barrington, and maybe the other two.
    With 7 of the 15 highest averaging batsmen being English, it's not entirely unexpected, yet still surprising.

  7. #37
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the second through 5th places are all English?

    Just saying. Though I would have Hutton over Barrington, and maybe the other two.
    I'm not that surprised. Those 4 Cricketers wouldn't look out of place in All Time World XI or at least World XI A teams.

    If I made it 4000+ runs instead, Herbert Sutcliffe would up there also. In fact he finished his career with an amazing 3.491. Everton Weekes was another star performer, 2.276.

  8. #38
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,064
    its a pity that all the top english batsmen played pre-1970. Any reason why England stopped producing great batsmen since?

  9. #39
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,393
    Not really sure Smali.

  10. #40
    International Captain Ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    7,114
    lol better late than never

  11. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    What does Kumar Sangakarra have to do to be considered better than say Dravid?

    Kumar Sangakarra has a superior highest score, averages more, makes ducks less frequently, scores 50+ in an innings more often so I find it absurd that someone would not think it's conceivable that he would be ranked higher.

    I don't expect anyone to say Matthew Hayden was actually a better player than Viv Richards and state it as FACT because of the list I have done, but this works in the same way as averages.
    Sanga hasnt really put in nearly enough awesome displays overseas as dravid did... hence his overseas average... i have little doubt he'll do that in the coming years and could in all probability end up better than dravid by the time he retires. but right now, dravid for me

  12. #42
    International Captain watson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,304
    Great to see Kanhai sitting on 1.5 and almost on a par with Gavaskar. One of my favourite all-time players.

    Players are well ranked IMO except that the newer players tend to be biased a bit high. Especially Cook.

    Good job NUFAN
    Last edited by watson; 12-11-2012 at 05:30 AM.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

    Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

  13. #43
    State Vice-Captain MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    its a pity that all the top english batsmen played pre-1970. Any reason why England stopped producing great batsmen since?
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

    Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

  14. #44
    International Debutant Jager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The land of Siddle
    Posts
    2,889
    Sanga's mafde a fair few ducks as of late, would be interesting to see how he rates now.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

  15. #45
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,393
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Sanga's mafde a fair few ducks as of late, would be interesting to see how he rates now.
    Yeah it would be interesting Jager, I've forgotten the criteria I used.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

    Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The CW50 - No.20-11
    By The Sean in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 13-12-2009, 02:49 AM
  2. Mouth-watering analysis this
    By Zinzan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 01:06 AM
  3. *Official* CW Grade Cricket discussion and results thread
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum CW Grade Cricket
    Replies: 210
    Last Post: 26-11-2005, 06:15 PM
  4. Club Cricket
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 07:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •