• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking System - Batsman with over 5000 Test Runs

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Azhar had a great 50-to-100 conversion rate IIRC. But yeah, it's weird to see him ahead of Steve Waugh, Border, Inzamam, Crowe etc. to name a few.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Spark, if you provide a list I can work them out for you if you like. I definitely think it works better over a full career though. If anyone wants to find out about any batsman just let me know.

vcs, yeah Azhar had an awesome conversion rate, shame for him that he never did reach 200.

smash84

The Tiger King
interesting to note that in the list of retired players Javed Miandad edges out Greg Chappell. Always felt that Miandad is under rated

miscer

U19 Cricketer
sangakkara cook superior to lara, gavaskar, richards, tendulkar, dravid, ponting, sehwag?
wut?
also hayden better than richards? no man, no.

and yea sangakkara is rated far too highly.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
sangakkara cook superior to lara, gavaskar, richards, tendulkar, dravid, ponting, sehwag?
wut?

I don't think it should be suggested for a moment that this is precisely indicative of a player's quality/greatness, so I think we should leave that aside from the outset.

Spark

Global Moderator
Read the thread.

NUFAN, could you try Clarke, Katich, Watson, Hussey?

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
If it's weighted towards conversion as I suspect, than given especially their career evolutions in the last three-four years, I can definitely see Cook being rated above Ponting.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
wut?

then it's pointless to make such a list i mean what is it supposed to be indicative of then? How high particular batsman are on the list itself lol? That means nothing.
What does Kumar Sangakarra have to do to be considered better than say Dravid?

Kumar Sangakarra has a superior highest score, averages more, makes ducks less frequently, scores 50+ in an innings more often so I find it absurd that someone would not think it's conceivable that he would be ranked higher.

I don't expect anyone to say Matthew Hayden was actually a better player than Viv Richards and state it as FACT because of the list I have done, but this works in the same way as averages.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
interesting to note that in the list of retired players Javed Miandad edges out Greg Chappell. Always felt that Miandad is under rated
Miandad was awesome, it could take another 100 years before Pakistan produce a better Test batsman.

I guess the most interesting ratings in this are comparing batsman who played in the same era, or even better for the same team in the same era.

Stewart vs Atherton, Boon vs MWaugh, Taylor vs Slater, Hayden vs Langer, Tendulkar vs Dravid, Sobers vs Kanhai, Gooch vs Gower, Greenidge vs Haynes and the list goes on.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Has anyone else noticed that the second through 5th places are all English?

Just saying. Though I would have Hutton over Barrington, and maybe the other two.

smash84

The Tiger King
Miandad was awesome, it could take another 100 years before Pakistan produce a better Test batsman.

I guess the most interesting ratings in this are comparing batsman who played in the same era, or even better for the same team in the same era.

Stewart vs Atherton, Boon vs MWaugh, Taylor vs Slater, Hayden vs Langer, Tendulkar vs Dravid, Sobers vs Kanhai, Gooch vs Gower, Greenidge vs Haynes and the list goes on.
Yup, Miandad easily Pakistan's best ever batsman IMO.

Good work Nufan. This list does give an alternative perspective compared to simple averages

weeman27bob

International Regular

Just saying. Though I would have Hutton over Barrington, and maybe the other two.
With 7 of the 15 highest averaging batsmen being English, it's not entirely unexpected, yet still surprising.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

I'm not that surprised. Those 4 Cricketers wouldn't look out of place in All Time World XI or at least World XI A teams.

If I made it 4000+ runs instead, Herbert Sutcliffe would up there also. In fact he finished his career with an amazing 3.491. Everton Weekes was another star performer, 2.276.

smash84

The Tiger King
its a pity that all the top english batsmen played pre-1970. Any reason why England stopped producing great batsmen since?