• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daryl Harper withdraws from Dominica test

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He wasn't even singled out. Was not that harsh of a comment tbh.
Cue Chris Broad to Ban Dhoni for a match or something now.

In any case he was going off the Elite panel after the test match ,and will be replaced by a supposed better umpire.
Was a likeable chap though ,but never shirked the attention so may have wanted one last Hyping/Remembering moment by this.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Well Dhoni was the one objecting DRS so he has no room to be complaining about wrongful decisions.
That is absolute bull****. UDRS doesn't mean that an umpire can be crap. Umpires are still expected to make good decisions. Didn't watch enough of the test match to have an opinion of the umpiring but Harper has never been among the best of umpires.

BlazeDragon

Banned
That is absolute bull****. UDRS doesn't mean that an umpire can be crap. Umpires are still expected to make good decisions. Didn't watch enough of the test match to have an opinion of the umpiring but Harper has never been among the best of umpires.
He and everybody else fully knows wrongful decisions are basically a part of cricket. You can't have cricket without wrongful decisions happening just like you can't have soccer without fouls happening. Not saying Harper is any saint, but Dhoni playing his part in DRS not being involved should be the last person to publicly complain about it. WI also suffered from wrongful decisions and they are not going around complaining about it all the time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The beauty of DRS is that crap decisions made by the umpires get overturned. That way the umpire being crap doesn't have an impact on the game and people forget that the umpire was atrocious.

Billy Doctrove had a couple of shockers in the England-Sri Lanka series. All soon forgotten because they were overturned.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sorry to see someone's career heading for the plughole like this, and Harper's always seemed a decent sort of cove.

I've never thought he's really been up to the standard of Test cricket. But I was interested to read in the article that the stats show his decision-making in Tests involving India has been significantly above the average of his peers.

As for MS Dhoni's comment -

You know I can only say, if the correct decisions were made, the game would have finished much earlier and I would have been in the hotel by now.
- I'd like to think that's out of character. I think Dhoni's better than that.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The beauty of DRS is that crap decisions made by the umpires get overturned. That way the umpire being crap doesn't have an impact on the game and people forget that the umpire was atrocious.

Billy Doctrove had a couple of shockers in the England-Sri Lanka series. All soon forgotten because they were overturned.
But that doesn't excuse crap umpires. What if there is a situation with UDRS where the team has run out of reviews and we have a couple of ****ty decisions?

Howsie

International Captain
You know I can only say, if the correct decisions were made, the game would have finished much earlier and I would have been in the hotel by now.
Bahaha. If that isn't bringing the game into disrepute then what is? Surely captain fantastic will be hit with some sort of fine or ban in the coming day's........

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sorry to see someone's career heading for the plughole like this, and Harper's always seemed a decent sort of cove.

I've never thought he's really been up to the standard of Test cricket. But I was interested to read in the article that the stats show his decision-making in Tests involving India has been significantly above the average of his peers.

As for MS Dhoni's comment -

- I'd like to think that's out of character. I think Dhoni's better than that.
Agree with this. To quote VicO, Harper's a ripping man but he's prone to the odd shocker.

Didn't like Dhoni's comments one bit, tbh.

Xuhaib

International Coach
But that doesn't excuse crap umpires. What if there is a situation with UDRS where the team has run out of reviews and we have a couple of ****ty decisions?
which means that the team has used its reviews poorly.UDRS is tailor made for umpires like Hair, Dotrove, Bowden ok-ish umpires but prone to having some really inconsistent days yes it does not give an excuse for an umpire to be poor but it allows the playing teams to get away with minimum damage even if an umpire is having an off day.

Dhoni's comments were way out of line and did come across quite poor should have been reprimanded for it imo.

Top_Cat

Interesting they count 6 bad decisions in the last Test. Were all of those provably not out or just a bit controversial?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
which means that the team has used its reviews poorly.UDRS is tailor made for umpires like Hair, Dotrove, Bowden ok-ish umpires but prone to having some really inconsistent days yes it does not give an excuse for an umpire to be poor but it allows the playing teams to get away with minimum damage even if an umpire is having an off day.

Dhoni's comments were way out of line and did come across quite poor should have been reprimanded for it imo.
All other issues aside, Hair was one of the best decision makers in cricket, actually. His % of correct shouts was consistently up there, second only to Taufel.

vcs

Interesting they count 6 bad decisions in the last Test. Were all of those provably not out or just a bit controversial?
A bit controversial IMO. Nothing out of the ordinary. Funny there wasn't much noise when India got 3 wrong LBW decisions in their favour in a close Test in Durban (one involving Zaheer who went on to add 50 odd runs with Laxman, and De Villiers and Boucher in the fourth innings chase).