• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daryl Harper withdraws from Dominica test

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
But that doesn't excuse crap umpires. What if there is a situation with UDRS where the team has run out of reviews and we have a couple of ****ty decisions?
Team's own fault.

Agree with this. To quote VicO, Harper's a ripping man but he's prone to the odd shocker.

Didn't like Dhoni's comments one bit, tbh.
I'm sorry to see someone's career heading for the plughole like this, and Harper's always seemed a decent sort of cove.

I've never thought he's really been up to the standard of Test cricket. But I was interested to read in the article that the stats show his decision-making in Tests involving India has been significantly above the average of his peers.

As for MS Dhoni's comment -

- I'd like to think that's out of character. I think Dhoni's better than that.
Dhoni's a wanker, always suspected it and those comments confirmed it. Should have been fined 50% of his match fee.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha, such a terribad article that:

* In the space of six balls from Harbhajan Singh (overs 17 to 21), Shivnarine Chanderpaul survived two close lbw shouts. In the first one, replays showed the ball was marginally pitching outside line, but could have been given out nine out of ten times. In the next, Chanderpaul was plumb in front.
Errr, no.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How many times do umpires come out and say that the players ****ed up and it cost them the game etc?

Pretty poor comparison.
That would be epic. And they should tbh just for the lols. "What would have ended the game earlier is if the captain of India grew a brain and learned some field placings.". Want Harper to come back with that so bad.

However your comparison isn't valid. What players do has no impact on the umpire, however what the umpire does certainly has an impact on the players so it makes sense why that's a one way street.

Plus as Dickie Bird said, it's hardly new. You just can't show dissent during a match.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That would be epic. And they should tbh just for the lols. "What would have ended the game earlier is if the captain of India grew a brain and learned some field placings.". Want Harper to come back with that so bad.

However your comparison isn't valid. What players do has no impact on the umpire, however what the umpire does certainly has an impact on the players so it makes sense why that's a one way street.

Plus as Dickie Bird said, it's hardly new. You just can't show dissent during a match.
Errr what? A player getting hit on the pad instead of hitting it with his bat doesn't have an impact on the umpire having to make a decision?

vcs

Annoying that Raina was fined 25% for dissent. It was mere disbelief and disappointment rather than anything else. Rampaul's reaction in the first Test was much worse and he only got 10%. So was Mishra's but I don't think he got fined.

EDIT : It seems Mishra got 10% as well.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Errr what? A player getting hit on the pad instead of hitting it with his bat doesn't have an impact on the umpire having to make a decision?
What? An umpire makes decision on an appeal whether it was a good shot or a bad shot. Whether that appeal is due to good bowling or bad batting or both is irrelevant to the umpire - he just decides if it's out.

Burgey

Can't believe this has happened again. An umpire basically rissoled (and that's really what it is, behind the patina of "standing down") because a team doesn't like his decision-making in a game.

benchmark00

What? An umpire makes decision on an appeal whether it was a good shot or a bad shot. Whether that appeal is due to good bowling or bad batting or both is irrelevant to the umpire - he just decides if it's out.
No but you said what a player does has no impact. If the batsman hits the ball instead of getting hit on the pad then the umpire does not have to make the decision. How is that not having an impact on the umpire?

Say Dhoni gets hit on the pad not playing a shot because he misread Jimmy Anderson's in swinger, it's just missing the stumps, but Harper gives him out. Dhoni then blows up and calls Harper **** etc etc... It's not like Harper is going to say "Nah well you're a **** **** and you should have hit the ball and not made a mistake and left it up to me."

So it is a poor comparison by you.

Burgey

Annoying that Raina was fined 25% for dissent. It was mere disbelief and disappointment rather than anything else. Rampaul's reaction in the first Test was much worse and he only got 10%. So was Mishra's but I don't think he got fined.

EDIT : It seems Mishra got 10% as well.
It's a conspiracy.