• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Daryl Harper withdraws from Dominica test

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think most people are just pro-their own team rather than being anti-anyone especially. What's different are the 'neutrals' turning for or against a specific team - now the neutrals are almost universally anti-India, which at one point all the neutrals were pretty much all anti-Australia. That's what's different. And it's pretty awesome. Oh, and I'm not pointing the finger at anyone. I think it's totally fair to root for or against any team you want. It's not a bad thing at all - in fact it's what makes sports so great and so engrossing.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha is that an American term only?
In Australia, root = **** so you imagine the merriment when Aussie sports fans hear US sports fans say it.

As for Dhoni's comments, the reason why they grate on me personally is that I didn't find them professional or constructive. What is constructive is to complain all you want about specific instances, demand resignations, etc. in the umpire's report at the end of the match which I'm sure Dhoni did. Doing that plus going to the media to rag on a fellow professional didn't sit well with me at all. That he didn't mention Harper by name is irrelevant, we all know who he meant. Plus, as has been alluded to already, it insults the WI team and belittles their efforts ("The match was only close because of the incompetant/biased umps!") and presents as a bit of an attitude toward an entitlement to the win.

Whether Dhoni meant any of that or not I don't know but it brings me to where I think things have changed for India. When a team goes from being a an also-ran to the top banana, people's perception of stuff you do and say changes and, especially where the press is concerned and you need to be mindful of it if you don't want absolutely everyone to hate you. Aussie players received media training once the team started winning regularly for this reason and even then still got it wrong plenty of times. If you complain about the umpiring when you win, that'll annoy a lot of people but people will really hate you if you do so as the overwhelming favourite, especially if you've sent a second-string side (insulting enough and was so when Australia did it). The general perception will likely be along the lines of "You won and were expected to. What more did you want? Stop bitching!" It's also galling for the BCCI to cite crowded scheduling for sending that second-string side for the obvious reasons.

I reckon the Indian heirarchy are still getting used to the enmity which people have for you if you're number 1 and if they want to change perceptions about them, they'll have to get savvy about it. Or they could, as the cricketing and financial powerhouse of the game, assume their position will last forever and they'll never need to...

Either way, what I'd have preferred Dhoni do is leave his complaints in the match report and to the media, say something like "Well, we won and that's what matters. Yes we had some decisions in the match which caused concern but we've made our feelings known about them in the appropriate forum, thanks for asking."

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In Australia, root = **** so you imagine the merriment when Aussie sports fans hear US sports fans say it.
Haha, nice.

As for Dhoni's comments, the reason why they grate on me personally is that I didn't find them professional or constructive. What is constructive is to complain all you want about specific instances, demand resignations, etc. in the umpire's report at the end of the match which I'm sure Dhoni did. Doing that plus going to the media to rag on a fellow professional didn't sit well with me at all. That he didn't mention Harper by name is irrelevant, we all know who he meant. Plus, as has been alluded to already, it insults the WI team and belittles their efforts ("The match was only close because of the incompetant/biased umps!") and presents as a bit of an attitude toward an entitlement to the win.

Whether Dhoni meant any of that or not I don't know but it brings me to where I think things have changed for India. When a team goes from being a an also-ran to the top banana, people's perception of stuff you do and say changes and, especially where the press is concerned and you need to be mindful of it if you don't want absolutely everyone to hate you. Aussie players received media training once the team started winning regularly for this reason and even then still got it wrong plenty of times. If you complain about the umpiring when you win, that'll annoy a lot of people but people will really hate you if you do so as the overwhelming favourite, especially if you've sent a second-string side (insulting enough and was so when Australia did it). The general perception will likely be along the lines of "You won and were expected to. What more did you want? Stop bitching!" It's also galling for the BCCI to cite crowded scheduling for sending that second-string side for the obvious reasons.

I reckon the Indian heirarchy are still getting used to the enmity which people have for you if you're number 1 and if they want to change perceptions about them, they'll have to get savvy about it. Or they could, as the cricketing and financial powerhouse of the game, assume their position will last forever and they'll never need to...

Either way, what I'd have preferred Dhoni do is leave his complaints in the match report and to the media, say something like "Well, we won and that's what matters. Yes we had some decisions in the match which caused concern but we've made our feelings known about them in the appropriate forum, thanks for asking."
Completely agree with all that. Don't think it's a big deal what he said, but clearly wasn't the most politically savvy thing to say for his image. As for the enmity - meh, I don't think the BCCI need to concern themselves with that. The perceptions change on a dime anyway. What they need to be more concerned about the Indian fans leaving them because they're tired of getting treated like ****. Soccer is making inroads in the cities, and the power of the game has already moved to the villages from the cities - but obviously the sheer population advantage means that even as a smaller sport (not saying it's becoming one, and won't unless somehow India unearths a soccer superstar, which is unlikely for a multitude of reasons), as the Indian middle class gains financial muscle, it will likely still be dominating the international cricket landscape for the forseeable future.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
When did Australia send a second string side to the WI?
Never I would think. But Zaheer, Gambhir and Sehwag are all injured. I don't like SRT asking to be rested at all though - if you're not injured, you should play. Or retire. It's a Test match ffs.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Re silenstriker's mantra that "it's really really really awesome that everyone dislikes my team": the lady doth protest too much, methinks

Last edited:

Burgey

Was more referring to ODI's. Can't remember them ever deliberately resting players from Tests.
Ah I see. Well I frankly don't think the day is too far off where countries will rest players from tests fairly regularly.

Not saying I agree with it, I can just see it happening, particularly with bowlers.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Cevno, why would anyone give a **** what Giles Clarke thinks?

The difference between us, and some of you clowns, is that we don't swing on the ECB's dick. If someone attacks the ECB, we don't take it personally like WAH WAH WAH DON'T BE RACIST WHY U HATING ON MY COUNTRY ****ERS

Giles Clarke made a **** comment. I sympathised with him at the time because the decision wound me up, but looking back, what a **** comment. And guess what? Dhoni made a **** comment.

****ing deal with it.
Haha yeah, I find that the funniest thing

The saddest thing about this argument is that if the BCCI came out next week and supported DRS with all of its elements there'd be no discussion

Spikey

Cevno, why would anyone give a **** what Giles Clarke thinks?

The difference between us, and some of you clowns, is that we don't swing on the ECB's dick. If someone attacks the ECB, we don't take it personally like WAH WAH WAH DON'T BE RACIST WHY U HATING ON MY COUNTRY ****ERS

Giles Clarke made a **** comment. I sympathised with him at the time because the decision wound me up, but looking back, what a **** comment. And guess what? Dhoni made a **** comment.

****ing deal with it.

Bun

Banned
GIMH on Darryl Harper during the England - South Africa series.

The England team in unison criticising him ,and also the Chairman of the ECB.

In fact Giles Clarke claimed this-

“It’s absurd without Hot Spot,” said Clarke on Saturday. “How on earth can you have a caught-behind overturned? Until the technology is applied correctly we are better off with the old system, because at least if the umpire is as deaf as a post and as blind as a bat it’s the same for both sides.”

Somebody calls the chairman of the ECB on this and says he should not moan ,Let alone call the umpires deaf and dumb-

Response -

Harper claims to be the scapegoat -
South Africa v England: Daryl Harper says he is 'scapegoat' over TV referral - Telegraph

Now GIMH's reaction on Dhoni just saying that a couple of wrong decisions were made and not even criticising anyone directly or any incident -

:toot:
:toot:

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
So much bitterness, so much hate!!

Bring it on!!! Loving being no.1!!! Oh this is what you Aussie guys felt for a decade and some?!! Amazing it is... the jealousy...

:ph34r:

Bun

Banned
I love how even the slightest things get exaggerated and talked up by vested interests. The best example of this was the UDRS... spawned multiple threads.. but as critical an issue like NZ's inability to pay it's players, or minnow issue, etc doesn't even get a thread for itself.

I don't vouch for bCCi here.. heck with all their coffers, they don't pay me a single paisa... If you guys wanted to really have a go at BCCI, I can help you with much graver data against them... UDRS to BCCI is what a mosquito bite is to elephant...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If microwave food is better and you purposely don't want it just to satisfy your ego then yes.
What if microwave food is better than food cooked by bad cooks in stove, but worse than food cooked by excellent cooks in stove?

To add more complexity, what if microwave's performance depends heavily on the persons who operate them (and they are not cooks)?

Last edited: