• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank your Top 20 Bowlers of the modern era

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Can't really see Waqar in the top 5 and definitely not above Warne and Akram
fair enough. it is just that, at his peak, he was a wrecking ball of a bowler. just unbelievable. perhaps that has clouded my judgement. i also feel that i have warne a little low. again, perhaps his performances against the indians - in my opinion, the best players of spin of the past couple of decades - has again clouded my judgement. though i would still, more often than not, have warne in my 11 over murali.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
ya this, and can't see Pollock above Akram in a bowlers' list...otherwise, hang on's list is pretty decent
akram and pollock. yes, again u guys are right.

i made a crap list. sorry! but i will say that pollock was quite underrated. at his best he was the only competition for murali at the top of the rankings. always hovering around the late 800s and early 900s range....at least that's what i remember.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pollock was good but the other bowlers in the list edge him I reckon.

And yes Warne's performances against India do cloud a lot of people's judgment of him but other than that his record is exceptional

Beleg

International Regular
good question.

1. muralitharan
2. ambrose
3. donald
4. mcgrath
5. wasim
6. warne
7. waqar
8. pollock
9. kumble
10. steyn
11. walsh
12. akhtar
13. gillespie
14. bishop
15. saqlain
16. gough
17. bond
18. streak
19. asif
20. vaas

Rush

Banned
I can't help but feel if Bond had managed to stay fully fit (if my aunty had bollocks etc.) that he would have been behind only Ambrose, McG, Murali, Warne and Wasim. Unlucky guy.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't help but feel if Bond had managed to stay fully fit (if my aunty had bollocks etc.) that he would have been behind only Ambrose, McG, Murali, Warne and Wasim. Unlucky guy.
Wouldn't disagree. As talented as any bowler in last 20 years just only fit for 1 game every 6 months sadly.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Among those I've seen live:

1. Muttiah Muralitharan
2. Glenn McGrath
3. Wasim Akram
4. Curtly Ambrose
5. Allan Donald
6. Shane Warne
7. Dale Steyn
8. Waqar Younis
9. Shaun Pollock
10. Courtney Walsh
11. Kapil Dev
12. Anil Kumble
13. Ian Bishop
14. Shane Bond
15. Shoaib Akhtar
16. Saqlain Mushtaq
17. Chaminda Vaas
18. Jason Gillespie
19. Craig McDermott
20. Harbhajan Singh
Forgot Stuart McGill. He should replace Harbhajan there. I think I can roughly divide these bowlers in the following tiers:

First Tier: Muralitharan, McGrath, Wasim, Ambrose, Donald, Warne, Steyn
Second Tier: Waqar, Pollock
Third Tier: Walsh, Kapil, Kumble
Fourth Tier: Bishop, Bond, Akhtar
Fifth Tier: Saqlain, Vaas, Gillespie, McDermott, McGill

5 Australians, 4 Pakistanis, 3 South Africans, 3 West Indians, 2 Sri Lankans, 2 Indians and 1 Kiwi in my list.

England has had good bowling attacks in the last 10 years or so, but they've generally had a bunch of good bowlers bowling together rather than an excellent bowler leading the attack for long.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Yeah. That's not unreasonable by any stretch.
u are agreeing with me, i hope, burgey? that it is surprising to have kumble above those three. my sarcasm filters are generally not in working order without a few cups of caffe.

ooops. it was your post that i was questioning, to begin to with! ignore the first part of it.

so, why is it not unreasonable to have kumble above those 3 (ok, those 2)?

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
u are agreeing with me, i hope, burgey? that it is surprising to have kumble above those three. my sarcasm filters are generally not in working order without a few cups of caffe.

ooops. it was your post that i was questioning, to begin to with! ignore the first part of it.

so, why is it not unreasonable to have kumble above those 3 (ok, those 2)?
Longevity forms part of it.

I mean, Walsh, with all due respect to him was a fine bowler, but his greatest attribute was he was an Iron Man. And partly it's to do with how people go against your own mob. Kumble had a wonderful series here in 03-04, I really thought he was very, very good.

I really included Pollock based on what most others see in him, which was naughty. I frankly think he was good to very good, but not better than Kumble. TBH I think he's a bit over rated. Again though, you see these things through the prism of his performances against your own team. Likewise Donald, who bowled some terrific spells but I kind of never thought he'd consistently run through the Australian line up he bowled to.

It's also why I will never be able to rate Waqar above Akram. People say Waqar wasn't at his best when he came here, and that may well be so, but that's part of greatness too - durability and consistency of output. It's even more a factor for me when I begin to think of how to separate bowlers of this calibre.

I fear I've not explained this very well at all, but there you go.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interesting to see Steyn moving up and down people's lists.

What sets him apart here is the distance between him and his peers, really ever since McGrath (and Pollock, I suppose) retired. Who was the last fast bowler to be so obviously the best for so long?