• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whose bowling attack in test is better now ?

Whose bowling attack in test is better now ?

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not fair to judge SL on the basis of one, admittedly horrible, series against an English lineup in prime form, and where they were struggling with injuries and Malinga's retirement. Would expect them to do much better in their next series at home.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
how would one rank the best attacks in cricket

england
safrica
west indies
pakistan
india
australia
new zealand
sri lanka
bangladesh

about right?

centurymaker

International Captain

england
safrica
west indies
pakistan
india
australia
new zealand
sri lanka
bangladesh

about right?
safrica
england
australia
india
pakistan
west indies
new zealand
sri lanka
bangladesh

Howe_zat

Audio File

england
safrica
west indies
pakistan
india
australia
new zealand
sri lanka
bangladesh

about right?
England vs SA at the top is contentious but I'll go with that. Depends how much credit you give Swann, really.

You've ranked the West Indies too high. They're doing well on very helpful pitches this season but it's a very recent development. Should be below Aus, India and Pakistan.

Australia are too low. There's a lot of talent and skill in the Aussie attack, they just need to sort their **** out. And select properly.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
i certainly rank swann. though i am also interested to see how he goes against the massive indian lineup this summer.

the lack of a decent spinner is what makes me rank the aus attack on the low side. but yes, perhaps they are ranked too low. maybe hauritz could, if given a longish run in the side, really help balance the attack.

the west indies attack could, conceivably, have roach, edwards, rampaul, taylor, lawson (heard somewhere he was back to full fitness - is this correct?), bishoo, benn, and the other tall spinner whose action was questioned. not bad at all.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reckon the aussie attack is really underrated on here due to one bad series.
They might have done better if the selectors just stuck with the 4 or 5 best bowlers + Watson as all rounder instead of picking 10+ over the last 7 tests.

History tells you that chopping and changing looking for the magic formula rarely works, occasionally you stumble upon a good one but it is more by luck than judgement.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
We have a number of decent of pace bowlers but they're all performing averagely atm with no clear stand outs - Hence the continued shuffling of the attack

I also think England have the strongest attack since SA are pretty ****ed if Steyn or Morkel break down

Howe_zat

Audio File
Depending on how you think they went in India last autumn, it's either two or three.

On the one hand they stopped India, in India, from posting over 500 in four attempts, and got into a position to win in Mohali.

On the other hand, India got 400+ in both first innings, couldn't get rid of the tail in Mohali or defend a decent score in Bangalore, and still lost both matches despite batting reasonably well.

Then there's the Pakistan series, where there's no question the front line bowlers performed badly.

Xuhaib

International Coach
that Pakistan series was strange had North and Watson not had a bowl we would have clean sweeped them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Depending on how you think they went in India last autumn, it's either two or three.

On the one hand they stopped India, in India, from posting over 500 in four attempts, and got into a position to win in Mohali.

On the other hand, India got 400+ in both first innings, couldn't get rid of the tail in Mohali or defend a decent score in Bangalore, and still lost both matches despite batting reasonably well.

Then there's the Pakistan series, where there's no question the front line bowlers performed badly.
400 was about par on those pitches first dig though. The bowlers did fine, it's two big second innings collapses that really cost us (and obviously not getting Sharma/Laxman out with a reduced attack). It's rough to say the bowling - Hauritz aside - underperformed in that series.

But I absolutely agree with the point that the lack of a settled attack ie. sticking with a set bowling unit has really hurt us badly of late.

Jacknife

International Captain
I agree, a attack of say Bollinger, Johnson and Siddle is a very decent attack, with Hauritz doing the spinners job, better than a fair few attacks out there.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies will be very potent if the right attack is chosen, especially if all are in form. Roach Rampaul Edwards and Bishoo seems about right. About attacks in world cricket I think

1. South Africa
2. England (below SA as I doubt their pace bowlers are as good in the subcontinent)
3. India
4. Australia (though India's problem is with 2nd and 3rd fast bowler, Australia have no fast bowler like Zaheer and no spinner like Harbhajan)
5. West Indies (If Roach Rampaul Edwards and Bishoo play together)
6. Pakistan
7. Sri Lanka (has to make Mendis a regular, otherwise below even Bangladesh)
8. New Zealand
9. Bangladesh

Last edited: