• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Goodbye to runners

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
So injured batsman can't bat now unless they are hitting boundaries? :confused:

A bit unfair in case of injuries picked up in matches. Puts more down to luck.

using a new ball from each end in one-dayers
So 2 different balls in ODI's?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't see the need for this. If there's abuse of the system of allowing runners then stop the abuse, don't scrap the system.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Awta.

Can't stop the system because of abuse.Maybe don't allow runners for Cramps etc...

Too unfair in case of real injuries.

biased indian

International Coach
So 2 different balls in ODI's?
CEC agreed with the ICC Cricket Committee's recommendations for the further enhancement of international 50-over cricket with the restriction of the elective powerplays to between the 16th and 40th overs of each innings and also to the use of two new balls per innings – one from each end. This will come into effect from 1 October.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't see the need for this. If there's abuse of the system of allowing runners then stop the abuse, don't scrap the system.
This. It's like, I know a few people who falsely claim Disability Benefit. Let's stop all Disability Benefits to teach them a lesson!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Terrible decision that I sincerely hope the Executive Board don't ratify - by all means clamp down on the abuses of the system, but don't rob future generations of the oportunity to watch the sort of innings Gordon Greenidge used to play on one leg

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
CEC agreed with the ICC Cricket Committee's recommendations for the further enhancement of international 50-over cricket with the restriction of the elective powerplays to between the 16th and 40th overs of each innings and also to the use of two new balls per innings – one from each end. This will come into effect from 1 October.
So one bowler will start with one ball and one with another?
Wtf?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I shall go against what seems to be the general consensus here, and say that I agree with disallowing runners for batsmen. Running between the wickets is an integral part of batting. Bowling is more demanding physically than batting as it is. Do we see an injured bowler being carried by a fielder on his shoulder to the crease through his run-up before he bowls the delivery? Then why should a batsman enjoy such priviledges? I've always wondered that allowing runners for batsmen favors the contest between bat and ball to one side. Injured bowlers can't bowl if they can't run, then why should injured batsmen be allowed to bat if they can't run?

However, it's obvious that the reason for which ICC has taken this decision is vastly different from the reason I think it should have happened.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If a bowler isn't fit enough to bowl, then someone else bowls the overs.

If a batsman injures himself and can no longer run, the team is effectively penalised through the loss of a wicket.

They are not comparable.

aussie tragic

International Captain
If a bowler isn't fit enough to bowl, then someone else bowls the overs.

If a batsman injures himself and can no longer run, the team is effectively penalised through the loss of a wicket.

They are not comparable.
I sort of agree...however you could also argue that remaining bowlers have to work harder and bowl more to cover the loss, so remaining batsmen also have to work harder as well....

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Is weird though.
What will that achieve other than eliminate reverse swing mostly?