• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonathan Trott: The making of a legend?

aussie tragic

International Captain
Not to be pedantic but It says Trott has 2246 Test Match runs at 68.06?

Cricinfo says he has 1867 runs @ 62.23 after 34 innings, so he's behind Hussey in speed to reach 2000 runs (he took 33 innings) and will need at least 133 runs in his next 2 innings to make the all-time top 10...which could be considered legend status as Viv Richards, Worrell and Weekes all did it in 36 innings :)

Howe_zat

Audio File
That piece was written during the England-Sri Lanka Test series, so Trott's average won't be quite as high as it was a couple of matches ago.

Edit: Ah, I see. Perhaps Peter has miscalculated.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
a good read.

feel that he will end up being a very good batsman rather than a legendary one by the time his career is done, with a career average in the mid to late 40s.

am still hoping for pietersen to get his act together consistently and bump his average above 50.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Very interesting piece.

The only thing I would note is that Trott made his debut batting at five. He's batter three ever since though.

centurymaker

International Captain
I think Alastair Cook will end up accomplishing more at the end.
Once he goes through a few bad innings all his technical faults/weaknesses will become apparant again.
His game is mainly based on high concentration and strong determination so if he even loses some confidence in his ability, he'll go back to 09 form I believe.

However, if keeps doing well then you never know....
If he negotiates Zaheer well, who is outstanding against left-handers, then he may well never look back (that'll erase my doubts)

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
Once he goes through a few bad innings all his technical faults/weaknesses will become apparant again.
His game is mainly based on high concentration and strong determination so if he even loses some confidence in his ability, he'll go back to 09 form I believe.
I think also Cook was served up a lot of hearty meat pies in Aus which does help during a run of form - however it's not Cooks fault we're crap and I admire his determination and consistency.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
I think also Cook was served up a lot of hearty meat pies in Aus which does help during a run of form - however it's not Cooks fault we're crap and I admire his determination and consistency.
i just hope that his odi stint will not eff up his test batting.

IamSpartacus

Cricket Spectator
i just hope that his odi stint will not eff up his test batting.
Especially with the additional pressure as a newly minted Captain.

imho Trott has a better technique than Cook while showing the same mental strength - I feel he will finish with a slightly higher test average.