• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20-20 the bane of Australian batting?

Spark

Global Moderator
Headline is terrible (in that that was never actually said in the article) but that's the fault of some sub-editor.

salman85

International Debutant
Rubbish.

Especially since the team Australia wants to 'replace' are much more fascinated by 20-20 cricket.Plus it's not like the gap between Australia and India,or perhaps any other top 5 Test Side is as big as it was when Australia were at the top during the last decade.The gap will come down,and the top spot could see saw between more than just England and India.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
Not sure if you cared to read the article salman85, but there are very pertinent (and surprising from my pov) observations about coaching at the lowest levels. In Australia, kids want to perform in T20s, while in India, they are taught fundamentals no matter what.

Personally thought it would be the other way around.

I would love if BCCI brings in some kind of cap in the IPL teams to have not more than one player in the playing XI to have less than 15 FC appearances. Also, that any domestic player cannot take part in IPL if he does not play atleast 3 FC games in the preceding season unless due to injury.

The odd Paul Valthatty is free to come up if genuinely talented and this can actually fetch him a place in the Ranji squad. But we don't need Valthattys who just want to play T20s and completely ignore FC.

salman85

International Debutant
Yeah i didn't read the article.Just read it now,and i still don't agree with the article completely.I'm not sure how well known this Neil guy is or how authentic his statements are,but i would be very surprised if junior level players in Australia were only interested in 20-20 cricket.Australia has arguably the best domestic structure in the world,and i find it very hard to believe that they have more fascination with 20-20 than the Indians.

Plus a young kid is always going to want to score fast and big.You don't come across youngsters that will want to enjoy the text book style of batting from day one.They develop that with time and coaching.And hey,even if a kid does enjoy scoring fast and big,and is good at it,what's the issue?The need to be text book correct all the time is overrated IMO.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah i didn't read the article.Just read it now,and i still don't agree with the article completely.I'm not sure how well known this Neil guy is or how authentic his statements are,but i would be very surprised if junior level players in Australia were only interested in 20-20 cricket.Australia has arguably the best domestic structure in the world,and i find it very hard to believe that they have more fascination with 20-20 than the Indians.

Plus a young kid is always going to want to score fast and big.You don't come across youngsters that will want to enjoy the text book style of batting from day one.They develop that with time and coaching.And hey,even if a kid does enjoy scoring fast and big,and is good at it,what's the issue?The need to be text book correct all the time is overrated IMO.
Yeah that's so true. When I was a kid learning to bat I didn't want to sit and block all day

Spark

Global Moderator
IIRC D'Costa has always been seen as a bit of a weird nut in Aus coaching circles? It's somewhat ironic him saying this given his two most well known proteges came onto the scene as strikingly attacking strokeplayers.

Last edited:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
IIRC D'Costa has always been seen as a bit of a weird nut in Aus coaching circles? It's somewhat ironic him saying this given his two most well known proteges came onto the scene as strikingly attacking strokeplayers.
Michael Clarke drives in the air on the offside He's been doing it his whole life, what's his coach got to say about that? How is that the fault of T20?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly. To point out the obvious, the blokes who have demonstrated the most fail with the bat in the past two years in Tests are blokes who barely play any bloody T20 and sucked at it when they did. Shane Watson and Mike Hussey play heaps of T20 cricket and they've been the best batters by a distance. Most of the run-scorers in the top-10 for Shield cricket last season are also regular Big Bash players.

Seems as if not playing T20 is the problem; if you avoid it, there's some big gaps in your calendar. Having to adapt to different forms of the game is far easier than having big long breaks.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
topcat,

thought that it is not about whether 20-20 affects your game negatively after u have already become a technically proficient first or international class cricketer; rather, it is about the possible pernicious effect on the techniques of those who haven't yet matured as cricketers.

Bun

Banned
Seems as if not playing T20 is the problem; if you avoid it, there's some big gaps in your calendar. Having to adapt to different forms of the game is far easier than having big long breaks.
Very very well said...

BlazeDragon

Banned
I don't think T20 is the problem for Australia but its selectors not showing any brains with player selection. Seriously they drop Katich the 2nd most successful player in Test cricket in the last 3 years while useless dead meat like Cameron White gets a contract again.

White should have been dropped as soon as their first match of the world cup was over. And I still don't understand why Clint McKay didn't get a contract.

howardj

International Coach
Lets the players off too easily to say it's the formats fault or the schedule's fault.

I just don't think many of the Aussie bats at the moment could be arsed hanging around at the crease during a Test match and really grinding it out.

Exhibit A - last Ashes summer.