Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: What conditions would you want for your team?

  1. #1
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,116

    What conditions would you want for your team?

    Saw some discussion about this in a few threads today.

    What would be the best conditions for each side? The India fans seem to be excited about the prospect of seaming tracks, as it turns their 'bowlers' into a relative threat.

    Personally, I just hope the ball swings. We're playing at Trent Bridge and it certainly will there (look out for Jimmy taking 12-46), the rest of the time it will depend on everything else.

    Obviously India do have players that can exploit swing, but Anderson is better than anyone in English conditions. And I mean ANYONE.

    ANYONE

    Oh and Chris Tremlett's gonna get ya. So let's put on some bounce and we'll have a dance shall we?!
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  2. #2
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Saw some discussion about this in a few threads today.

    What would be the best conditions for each side? The India fans seem to be excited about the prospect of seaming tracks, as it turns their 'bowlers' into a relative threat.

    Personally, I just hope the ball swings. We're playing at Trent Bridge and it certainly will there (look out for Jimmy taking 12-46), the rest of the time it will depend on everything else.

    Obviously India do have players that can exploit swing, but Anderson is better than anyone in English conditions. And I mean ANYONE.

    ANYONE

    Oh and Chris Tremlett's gonna get ya. So let's put on some bounce and we'll have a dance shall we?!
    More than swing, england need pace and bounce to really trouble india.

  3. #3
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,116
    I think that's a fair comment. With the swing, I'm playing to Jimmy's strengths.

    Now that we have Tremmers and he's a sexual beast of a bowler, we also have the strength to exploit your weaknesses.

    Even though I've tipped Jimmy in here, I might have a rare flutter on Tremmers series output. WAFG he is.

    5-0 England.

  4. #4
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I think that's a fair comment. With the swing, I'm playing to Jimmy's strengths.

    Now that we have Tremmers and he's a sexual beast of a bowler, we also have the strength to exploit your weaknesses.

    Even though I've tipped Jimmy in here, I might have a rare flutter on Tremmers series output. WAFG he is.

    5-0 England.
    If India are to negate the impact that he might have on the series, Sehwag will have to go out there and look to destory him to dent his confidence (he's sort of a confidence player from what I have seen- a bit soft too :P) but the probablity of that happening is incredibly low.


  5. #5
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,116
    Sehwag will average about 8 in this series tbh

  6. #6
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Sehwag will average about 8 in this series tbh
    If there's cloud cover most of the series, then he might struggle.

    Btw Dilshan nearly scored a 200 and Tamim got 2 tons, so anything's possible tbf

  7. #7
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,116
    Nah in seriousness, Sehwag is the guy we need to stop, obviously. That ridiculous chase wouldn't have happened without him in 08.

    If we keep him down to a reasonable average (i.e. around 40) I'd be pretty happy tbh.

  8. #8
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Nah in seriousness, Sehwag is the guy we need to stop, obviously. That ridiculous chase wouldn't have happened without him in 08.

    If we keep him down to a reasonable average (i.e. around 40) I'd be pretty happy tbh.
    I just remembered that he's still injured. There's a possibility that he might miss the first 2 tests.

  9. #9
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,713
    We beat South Africa on the 2 most seaming/swinging tracks on the last 2 tours there and beat Australia in Perth to break their record run on the track where extra pace was to destroy us.

    I think more swing would help the Indian bowlers combined more than the English ones.

  10. #10
    Bun
    Bun is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Under the tree
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Sehwag will average about 8 in this series tbh
    Always thought he was an underrated bowler. Seems I was wrong.

  11. #11
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,705
    I'd want swinging conditions. Even if Jimmy were better than Zaheer at those (which he is not), I'd back Indian batsmen over English batsmen.

    What India don't want is a lot of very bouncy wickets. Obviously the worst would be flat wickets as I want an exciting series and not a 1-0 with a bunch of draws but outside of that, I would be ok with either swing or spin. I would be fine actually with an old style Perth pitch too personally as someone who loves fast bowling but the Indian players would find that the most difficult to navigate especially if both tremlett and Finn also play.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  12. #12
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I'd want swinging conditions. Even if Jimmy were better than Zaheer at those (which he is not), I'd back Indian batsmen over English batsmen.

    What India don't want is a lot of very bouncy wickets. Obviously the worst would be flat wickets as I want an exciting series and not a 1-0 with a bunch of draws but outside of that, I would be ok with either swing or spin. I would be fine actually with an old style Perth pitch too personally as someone who loves fast bowling but the Indian players would find that the most difficult to navigate especially if both tremlett and Finn also play.
    Spot on.

  13. #13
    International Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,374
    Ishant and Harbhajan might enjoy some bounce as well as Tremlett and Broad from England. English batsman are better equipped to deal with bounce though.

  14. #14
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    Ishant and Harbhajan might enjoy some bounce as well as Tremlett and Broad from England. English batsman are better equipped to deal with bounce though.
    All subcontinental batsmen have at least a bit of trouble playing on bouncy wickets.
    Common- "They'll try to drive/cut but the ball will bounce more & beat the egde"

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member Cevno's Avatar
    Simon Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15,713
    Bounce with movement would help India too as it did in SA.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 134
    Last Post: 29-12-2009, 05:01 PM
  2. is anyone there onwer of dadas team of Omar Dada
    By omardada in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2009, 05:34 AM
  3. Cricket Web Cycling Team
    By Samuel_Vimes in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 565
    Last Post: 26-12-2008, 05:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •