Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What conditions would you want for your team?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

What conditions would you want for your team?

Saw some discussion about this in a few threads today.

What would be the best conditions for each side? The India fans seem to be excited about the prospect of seaming tracks, as it turns their 'bowlers' into a relative threat.

Personally, I just hope the ball swings. We're playing at Trent Bridge and it certainly will there (look out for Jimmy taking 12-46), the rest of the time it will depend on everything else.

Obviously India do have players that can exploit swing, but Anderson is better than anyone in English conditions. And I mean ANYONE.

ANYONE

Oh and Chris Tremlett's gonna get ya. So let's put on some bounce and we'll have a dance shall we?!
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Saw some discussion about this in a few threads today.

What would be the best conditions for each side? The India fans seem to be excited about the prospect of seaming tracks, as it turns their 'bowlers' into a relative threat.

Personally, I just hope the ball swings. We're playing at Trent Bridge and it certainly will there (look out for Jimmy taking 12-46), the rest of the time it will depend on everything else.

Obviously India do have players that can exploit swing, but Anderson is better than anyone in English conditions. And I mean ANYONE.

ANYONE

Oh and Chris Tremlett's gonna get ya. So let's put on some bounce and we'll have a dance shall we?!
    More than swing, england need pace and bounce to really trouble india.

I think that's a fair comment. With the swing, I'm playing to Jimmy's strengths.

Now that we have Tremmers and he's a sexual beast of a bowler, we also have the strength to exploit your weaknesses.

Even though I've tipped Jimmy in here, I might have a rare flutter on Tremmers series output. WAFG he is.

5-0 England.

I think that's a fair comment. With the swing, I'm playing to Jimmy's strengths.

Now that we have Tremmers and he's a sexual beast of a bowler, we also have the strength to exploit your weaknesses.

Even though I've tipped Jimmy in here, I might have a rare flutter on Tremmers series output. WAFG he is.

5-0 England.
    If India are to negate the impact that he might have on the series, Sehwag will have to go out there and look to destory him to dent his confidence (he's sort of a confidence player from what I have seen- a bit soft too :P) but the probablity of that happening is incredibly low.

Sehwag will average about 8 in this series tbh

If there's cloud cover most of the series, then he might struggle.

Btw Dilshan nearly scored a 200 and Tamim got 2 tons, so anything's possible tbf

Nah in seriousness, Sehwag is the guy we need to stop, obviously. That ridiculous chase wouldn't have happened without him in 08.

If we keep him down to a reasonable average (i.e. around 40) I'd be pretty happy tbh.

Nah in seriousness, Sehwag is the guy we need to stop, obviously. That ridiculous chase wouldn't have happened without him in 08.

If we keep him down to a reasonable average (i.e. around 40) I'd be pretty happy tbh.
    I just remembered that he's still injured. There's a possibility that he might miss the first 2 tests.

Simon Champion!
    We beat South Africa on the 2 most seaming/swinging tracks on the last 2 tours there and beat Australia in Perth to break their record run on the track where extra pace was to destroy us.

I think more swing would help the Indian bowlers combined more than the English ones.

Bun
    Banned
    Always thought he was an underrated bowler. Seems I was wrong.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I'd want swinging conditions. Even if Jimmy were better than Zaheer at those (which he is not), I'd back Indian batsmen over English batsmen.

What India don't want is a lot of very bouncy wickets. Obviously the worst would be flat wickets as I want an exciting series and not a 1-0 with a bunch of draws but outside of that, I would be ok with either swing or spin. I would be fine actually with an old style Perth pitch too personally as someone who loves fast bowling but the Indian players would find that the most difficult to navigate especially if both tremlett and Finn also play.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I'd want swinging conditions. Even if Jimmy were better than Zaheer at those (which he is not), I'd back Indian batsmen over English batsmen.

What India don't want is a lot of very bouncy wickets. Obviously the worst would be flat wickets as I want an exciting series and not a 1-0 with a bunch of draws but outside of that, I would be ok with either swing or spin. I would be fine actually with an old style Perth pitch too personally as someone who loves fast bowling but the Indian players would find that the most difficult to navigate especially if both tremlett and Finn also play.
    Spot on.

International Regular
    Ishant and Harbhajan might enjoy some bounce as well as Tremlett and Broad from England. English batsman are better equipped to deal with bounce though.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    Ishant and Harbhajan might enjoy some bounce as well as Tremlett and Broad from England. English batsman are better equipped to deal with bounce though.
    All subcontinental batsmen have at least a bit of trouble playing on bouncy wickets.
    Common- "They'll try to drive/cut but the ball will bounce more & beat the egde"

Simon Champion!
    Bounce with movement would help India too as it did in SA.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information