• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test cricket should be played in the rain

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It is very dangerous. Fast bowling requires confidence in planting your front foot. Wet weather has it slip all over the place. As someone who has been injured multiple times because of this, the idea of playing in rain for a long period is a terrible idea. Then you add in a smaller risk for fielders as well.

Not only does it add danger but it massively reduces the quality of cricket. Who wants to watch Test matches where the batsmen are slipping when turning for runs and are run out and the quicks can hardly bowl and when they do they bowl half pace and the ball slipping out of the spinners hand?

Im all for pushing through a light shower anddark and overcast conditions but playing in rain puts the platers at risk and devalues the product.

Id rather wait than watch **** cricket.

Playing in prolonged rain would make cricket a dangerous waste of time.
Basically summed it up for me.

Jacknife

International Captain
It is very dangerous. Fast bowling requires confidence in planting your front foot. Wet weather has it slip all over the place. As someone who has been injured multiple times because of this, the idea of playing in rain for a long period is a terrible idea. Then you add in a smaller risk for fielders as well.

Not only does it add danger but it massively reduces the quality of cricket. Who wants to watch Test matches where the batsmen are slipping when turning for runs and are run out and the quicks can hardly bowl and when they do they bowl half pace and the ball slipping out of the spinners hand?

Im all for pushing through a light shower anddark and overcast conditions but playing in rain puts the platers at risk and devalues the product.

Id rather wait than watch **** cricket.

Playing in prolonged rain would make cricket a dangerous waste of time.
Yes, apart from the obvious dangers of injury, the bolded part, is a also very important reason, to not play in wet weather.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I'm not exactly talking about a thumderstorm with massive puddles all over of course. I didnt find it that hard to bowl fast but that could be because the turf I played on wasn't that affected by the rain. I vaguely remember having troubles with the follow through but I think I had too much fun to think too much of it.

The ball does some interesting stuff off the pitch though so I can see why batsmen would be against the idea.
Reckon the biggest resistance to such an idea will be from bowlers. By some distance too.

Goughy bringing home the bacon once again, WAMABG.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Weather here is ****ing horrendous at the minute. I blame Jake for making this thread tbh. Got proper pissed on half an hour ago (I was walking in the rain, not taking a golden shower)