• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Defeats from the jaws of victory that really hurt

subshakerz

International Coach
Just wanted to write a post on memorable defeats for the side you support. But not just ordinary defeats, defeats that came from nowhere when all was looking good, and left a really bad sting that resonates even now. Here are five that I have for Pakistan:

5. 3rd Test: Pakistan v South Africa at Faisalabad, Oct 24-27, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

What happened: In the deciding test, Pakistan with argually its strongest bowling attack ever (Wasim, Waqar, Mushtaq and Saqlain) managed to keep a tight lid on an otherwise strong SA batting lineup. After managing a decent first innings lead they continued to chip away at them despite Symcox somehow getting his second fifty of the match. In the end, all that was left for a historic victory was a paltry 146. Yet somehow Pakistan subsided to 92 with a rash of poor shots and giving Symcox of all bowlers figures of 3-8.

Why it stings: South Africa in the mid-90s had the wood over Pakistan in both formats, and victory would have removed the shackles that they had over the team. It could have kept Pakistan in contention for being one of the best sides in the world after Australia. Also, the defeat continued the downward slide of Pakistan's proud record on home soil that started around 1995. It also rankles that a mediocre player like Symcox turned out to be the difference between the sides.

4. 2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Hobart, Nov 18-22, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

What happened:
Pakistan were smashed in the previous game yet made a stirring comeback here. Saqlain in an inspired spell restricted Australia to a slender first innings lead, before Inzi scored his first ton against the Aussies. Australia slumped to 126-5 needing 369, and the game seemed over before Gilchrist did his thing with help from Langer. The formidable Pakistani attack suddenly lost its potency and the series was lost.

Why it stings: Beating Waugh's all-time great Australia at home in a live test would have been a great achievement, and a measure of revenge for an embarassing lost in the World Cup. Instead, the whole tour eneded up a disaster.

3. 3rd Test: West Indies v Pakistan at St John's, May 25-29, 2000 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

What happened:
In the deciding test of the series, Pakistan thanks to some inspired bowling from Wasim who reversed the bowl with elan managed to restrict any WI lead, and finally WI were set a challenging 216 on a dicey pitch. Wasim was bowling pure magic, and Pakistan seemed to have the game when WI were 197-9, only for Jimmy Adams and Walsh to somehow survive two umpiring gaffes and missed run out chances and lead them over the winning line.

Why it stings:
It would have meant a first Pakistan victory in the WI, and have helped Pakistani fans still reeling from the matchfixing crisis. Instead, it was completely botched and meant Pakistan are still waiting for a series victory in the region to this day.

2. 2nd Test: Australia v Pakistan at Sydney, Jan 3-6, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

What happened:
After getting hammered in the previous test, Pakistan thanks to Asif skittled Austrlia for 127 on a green pitch. With a considerable first innings lead, the match looked over when Australia were effectively 51-8. Yet Yousuf's timid captaincy and Akmal's keeping gave Pakistan a target of 176, and they duly collapsed to hand Australia the series yet again.

Why it stings:
Victory would have meant breaking Australia record of victories against Pakistan and keeping the series alive against a more vulnerable Australia side. Instead, the entire episode reeked of defeatism at best and possible match-fixing at worst. Handing over the series after such a lack of effort made this more unpalatable.

1. 3rd Test: West Indies v Pakistan at Bridgetown, Apr 22-27, 1988 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

What happened:
With Pakistan leading 1-0 in the series, the final test saw an epic battle with Marshall and Richaards in full form. The first innings being in near parity, Pakistan scrambled together a target of 266 for the hosts. Thanks to some fiery bowling from Akram, they were left at 207-8 before some patriotic umpiring assisted the WI in getting home through an unlikely 9th wicket partnership.

Why it stings:
The umpire later admitted that the crowd reaction impacted his decision-making. Pakistan were robbed of what surely would have been the greatest series victory in their history and the crown of Imran's captaincy career over even the World Cup. Pakistan would have become the only side to beat the mighty WI in the 80s and have a legimitate stake to be no.1. Instead, they had to settle with a drawn series, an achievement in its own right, but not enough.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting, never knew about that SA-Pakistan Test.

For India, Chennai '99 against Pakistan and Bridgetown '97 against WI where we fell short chasing 120 in the fourth innings. Sydney '08 was a case of grabbing a defeat from the jaws of a draw, but the disappointment was wiped out by the Mohali win last year. :D

Bun

Banned
Yeah one notable thing during the last 2 -3 years have been we ending up more often on the opposite spectrum... clutching win from jaws of defeat..

flibbertyjibber

Adelaide and Multan in the last few years.

Old Trafford with No Ball gate against Pakistan was bad too though that was only going to be a draw.

Burgey

Headingly 81.

Sydney vs SA 93-94.

They would be the two which stand out most to me in my time watching.

Though the tight loss to India last year was a great game, I can't recall thinking defeat had been clutched from victory as such. Maybe I haven't looked at the match closely enough - now I think about it, India needed over 100 or so with a couple of wickets left, didn't they? Though one of them was Laxman, who's tormented us plenty over the years.

flibbertyjibber

That India one definitely counts Burgey. Thought you guys had it in the bag to be honest.

What about 81 when Botham took 5 wickets for 1 run at Edgbaston?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Headingly 81.

Sydney vs SA 93-94.

They would be the two which stand out most to me in my time watching.

Though the tight loss to India last year was a great game, I can't recall thinking defeat had been clutched from victory as such. Maybe I haven't looked at the match closely enough - now I think about it, India needed over 100 or so with a couple of wickets left, didn't they? Though one of them was Laxman, who's tormented us plenty over the years.
Kolkatta 01 and Karachi 94 surely?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Interesting, never knew about that SA-Pakistan Test.

For India, Chennai '99 against Pakistan and Bridgetown '97 against WI where we fell short chasing 120 in the fourth innings. Sydney '08 was a case of grabbing a defeat from the jaws of a draw, but the disappointment was wiped out by the Mohali win last year. :D
was not a defeat from jaws of victory India was always going to be ****ed soon as Sachin would get out, infact the missed stumping of Sachin turned it in to a cliff hanger.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Just wanted to write a post on memorable defeats for the side you support. But not just ordinary defeats, defeats that came from nowhere when all was looking good, and left a really bad sting that resonates even now. Here are five that I have for Pakistan:

5. 3rd Test: Pakistan v South Africa at Faisalabad, Oct 24-27, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

What happened: In the deciding test, Pakistan with argually its strongest bowling attack ever (Wasim, Waqar, Mushtaq and Saqlain) managed to keep a tight lid on an otherwise strong SA batting lineup. After managing a decent first innings lead they continued to chip away at them despite Symcox somehow getting his second fifty of the match. In the end, all that was left for a historic victory was a paltry 146. Yet somehow Pakistan subsided to 92 with a rash of poor shots and giving Symcox of all bowlers figures of 3-8.

Why it stings: South Africa in the mid-90s had the wood over Pakistan in both formats, and victory would have removed the shackles that they had over the team. It could have kept Pakistan in contention for being one of the best sides in the world after Australia. Also, the defeat continued the downward slide of Pakistan's proud record on home soil that started around 1995. It also rankles that a mediocre player like Symcox turned out to be the difference between the sides.
That last day chase was shocking just L&L bowling getting wickets due to poor strokes there were murmurs about match fixing for this game but I always though mid 90's Pakistan side was very weak mentally they lacked the steel of Imran and Javed despite being a superior side.

Burgey

Kolkatta 01 and Karachi 94 surely?
Not really with Kolkatta, in the sense Dravid and Laxman batted India back to a position where it was going to be difficult for Australia to win on day five. I guess I don't think of it the same way because it happened over a longer period of time, if that makes sense. Headingly was like a few hours of madness sparked by Botham and finished by Willis. Kolkatta was over day's worth of great batting from two fine players. Mind you, the end result was the same :)

Karachi 94 was bad, though tbf we didn't have coverage of it here IIRC, so it wasn't like we sat through it (certainly I didn't have Pay TV then - I don't think anyone here did). It wasn't even broadcast on the radio IIRC because the Coulda Been Champions was on ABC when I tuned in to get commentary, and they just said "Pakistan have got the runs".

Another couple which aren't strictly speaking "defeat from victory" but which stung were Adelaide 92-93 (which is still, despite the many great matches I've seen, probably the most spine tingling finish to a match I've ever seen as an Aussie supporter) and Edgbaston 05.

Interesting in that the latter two each had a fantastic "what if" moment... A ball or two before Walsh had McDermott caught behind, he'd clipped a ball hard as he could off his toes, and Dessie Haynes at short leg stopped it - was four all the way if he missed it. And of course at Edgbaston there was that great cover drive Lee played which, had it been a cople of metres either side, would have got at least two, possibly four.

And there were also question marks over both dismissals which ended the match.

The interesting thing about both though, was despite those question marks which still get raised every so often, there wasn't an epic hue and cry from players/ officials of either team involved. I think they were all pretty much amazed to have been involved in both matches.

Last edited:

Burgey

This one was a bit disappointing. Was our chance to level the series. We played pretty well in this series but lost in the end so it didn't do us any good. This game was the turning point IMO.

2nd Test: Sri Lanka v Australia at Kandy, Mar 16-20, 2004 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
There was one of Warne's early tests vs SL in SL which I think the home side had the winning of, but he and Matthews bowled them out for a very low total. I know Warne said that was a test when he felt he belonged, and was wrapt in the faith Border (and indeed Matthews) had in him.