• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpiring Errors

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interesting how the UDRS seems to have shifted standards so quickly.

You could probably count the number of obvious mistakes on two hands. In five Tests, that makes a pretty damn good series of Umpiring.
10 obvious mistakes in 5 Tests is pretty unacceptable now. And if 1 mistake is made with UDRS in a series then it's blue murder.

Or maybe that's just Richard being a bit odd, I dunno.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And if 1 mistake is made with UDRS in a series then it's blue murder.
Yeah, but on the flipside when a shocker goes against you and you've used your reviews, everyone sees it as almost justice.

Hence why no-one ever bangs on about how we were robbed of a surefire 4-1 victory in the last Ashes, because rest assured we would have won at Brisbane had Hussey been given lbw when Jimmy trapped him front and middle. But as I say, no-one's bitter about that. At all :ph34r:

Blaze 18

Banned
I think it's unreasonable to expect umpires to get every single decision right. I'd take five wrong decisions over the entire test series TBH. Any idea about who we're getting? If it's Aleem Dar and Simon Taufel, we'll be fine.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I for one, as a neutral, hope that this thread reaches a 100 pages by the series completion

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think all neutrals would be hoping for that, especially with these 2 teams :laugh:
Tbf it'll be worse this summer when India plays us. Nevertheless, this series will still be very funny when you have guys like GIMH swaggering around

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting how the UDRS seems to have shifted standards so quickly.

10 obvious mistakes in 5 Tests is pretty unacceptable now. And if 1 mistake is made with UDRS in a series then it's blue murder.

Or maybe that's just Richard being a bit odd, I dunno.
Two of Richard's hands add up to 12. That not withstanding there'll be a cart load of errors. Swann might well find his number of LBW's bites the dust.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Bumble and Warne just suggesting that if India don't want to use DRS in the coming series, that's fine, but England should still be allowed to use it. Seems fair to me.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Surely if the ICC's - i.e. "neutral" - position is for the UDRS, surely the rule ought to be to use it unless both boards object, rather than to only use it if both boards agree.

Think of it as one vote to each board and a third deciding vote to the ICC.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think it's unreasonable to expect umpires to get every single decision right. I'd take five wrong decisions over the entire test series TBH. Any idea about who we're getting? If it's Aleem Dar and Simon Taufel, we'll be fine.
I agree Blaze, it is unreasonable to expect them to get them all correct.

I just wish the powers that be would devise a system that helped correct the errors! :(

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bumble and Warne just suggesting that if India don't want to use DRS in the coming series, that's fine, but England should still be allowed to use it. Seems fair to me.
Typical Lloyd and Warne nonsense. By saying they don't want it used they obviously mean only with it being the same for both teams otherwise they wouldn't make that decision. No team is ever under any obligation to use it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bumble and Warne obviously read my posts, I made exactly the same suggestion a week ago.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I have no problem if it is left to the Home team to decide if they want UDRS or not. Infact that is I how would prefer it to be. India gets to make decisions about its home games while England get to decide what they want to implement in their home games.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I don't think it should be up to any individual board to be able to veto the decison or not, regardless of whether it's a home series. There should be an ICC wide decision that says it applies to all test series or none. Preferably all, of course.

Bun

Banned
Surely if the ICC's - i.e. "neutral" - position is for the UDRS, surely the rule ought to be to use it unless both boards object, rather than to only use it if both boards agree.

Think of it as one vote to each board and a third deciding vote to the ICC.
ICC's "take" will put to vote, and we know who'll prevail... :cool:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
ICC's "take" will put to vote, and we know who'll prevail... :cool:
...which is why it was used at an ICC tournament, the World Cup?

EDIT: not trying to downplay the obvious importance that India has on ICC decision-making. But there's obviously some sort of difference in this instance, whether it's been taken out of the hands of the nations' representatives and to the cricketing rules sub-committee, or what.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it should be up to any individual board to be able to veto the decison or not, regardless of whether it's a home series. There should be an ICC wide decision that says it applies to all test series or none. Preferably all, of course.
Is The cost associated with UDRS responsibility of ICC ? If not then I don't see that happening anytime soon.