• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpiring Errors

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Why can't people realise that umpires are human beings? Mistakes happen at every level, and always will.

The human element is part of the game FFS. Umpiring is a hell of a lot harder than one would expect, trust me, I'm paid to do it.

Note: Before anyone gets overly fired up, this post is in general and not directed at anyone in particular.

Bun

Banned
Why can't people realise that umpires are human beings? Mistakes happen at every level, and always will.

The human element is part of the game FFS. Umpiring is a hell of a lot harder than one would expect, trust me, I'm paid to do it.

Note: Before anyone gets overly fired up, this post is in general and not directed at anyone in particular.
precisely what darrell hair, dickie birdie and other umpys have said... the udrs has actually only increased pressure on them....

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
precisely what darrell hair, dickie birdie and other umpys have said... the udrs has actually only increased pressure on them....
Never said anything about UDRS, so I don't see what that has to do with anything. I'm not getting involved in that argument because, quite frankly, its stupid to. Always ends up as a war.

What I'm saying is, regardless of UDRS, determining if the batsman's hit the ball or if the LBW shout should be given is tougher than the average cricket fan thinks. In all honesty, we need to cut them some slack and realise that they are human and won't get every decision right.

As long as human umpires are appointed, mistakes will happen. I know I'm not perfect as an umpire, but I think I get most calls right. No way am I 100% right though.

Although, interestingly enough, the laws of the game do state that the umpire cannot be wrong.

Howe_zat

Audio File
What's increased pressure on the unpires is that we now give every decision a technological scanning regardless of whether or not we've got reviews, so every wrong decision is highlighted. If we're going to be using tech anyway, let the umpires have it on their side.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't recall many umpiring controversies from the last 12 months save India acting like petulant children in this series.

It's funny that when there's a system in place to correct umpiring mistakes, people tend not to whine about the umpires making mistakes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Said it a million times. When Dar gave Hussey Not Out in Brisbane (he was plumb), most of the irritation from England fans was aimed at Strauss for having already used the reviews. Nuff said.

Spark

Global Moderator
I place close to zero credence on Dickie Bird's views on the matter tbh.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Is there still no DRS? Swann seems to think there won't be but I thought it was now required (at least hot spot)?