• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni V Prior (Tests)

Who would you rather have in your XI?

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Seems to be the closest call for the 'Combined XI' for the two sides.

Some numbers:

Prior: 43 Tests - 2278 runs @ 43.80. 5 100s. HS 131; 127 ct, 5 st
Dhoni: 54 Tests - 2925 runs @ 40.06. 4 100s. HS 148; 148 ct, 25 st

Prior Averages By Opponent

Australia - 39.46
Bangladesh - 44.50
India - 23.00
Pakistan - 53.80
South Africa - 22.57
Sri Lanka - 49.16
West Indies - 67.18

Home: 44.14
Away: 43.41

Dhoni Averages By Opponent

Australia - 30.87
Bangladesh - 96.50
England - 33.08
New Zealand - 49.83
Pakistan - 64.60
South Africa - 37.33
Sri Lanka - 49.10
West Indies - 24.00

Home: 43.20
Away: 37.33

I don't know how to get any more detailed keeping stats, such as byes, drops, missed stumpings etc, or even if you can. But please rate them as Keeper-Batsmen overall.

If it's tight and Dhoni's captaincy is a deciding factor, that's fair enough but I personally don't think it should come into it otherwise.

Anyway, who would you rather have in your XI?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's very close and the sensible choice would seem to be Dhoni in the subcontinent and Prior outside. Could have this thread in CC as an ongoing debate because it's too early to say.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm sure if anyone wanted to dig it in the future, a mod would move it. Is fine here for now.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Prior has been in better form recently ,but would certainly back Dhoni over a longer period.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The stats since the start of the 2010 season clearly show Prior to be the form player, so that's what makes the difference to me. 20+ on average, 3 centuries to none, much better strike rate.

I guess right now it depends on how highly you value Dhoni's captaincy. That and his keeping to spin makes him more valuable to India, but Prior more valuable to England.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Surprised Dhoni's record against us isn't better, actually. My memory is he had a decent tour in 2007.

I'd take Prior without too much thought tho. In great form with the blade and a better keeper generally now. Not entirely convinced by Dhoni's tactical acumen either; he's very, very conservative (even more so than Strauss) as a captain.

Spark

Global Moderator
Surprised Dhoni's record against us isn't better, actually. My memory is he had a decent tour in 2007.

I'd take Prior without too much thought tho. In great form with the blade and a better keeper generally now. Not entirely convinced by Dhoni's tactical acumen either; he's very, very conservative (even more so than Strauss) as a captain.
Outstanding leader though. More than makes up for it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He doesn't make lolworthy tactical decisions. Just conservative ones which can be frustrating at times. I'm often critical of his on-field tactcs at times but the guy is probably the best out-and-out leader in cricket today.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, got plenty of time for Dhoni as a leader. Thought his innings in the World Cup final was an outstanding captain's knock. Promotes himself right into the fray and he makes sure his team gets there. As if to say "You know what? It's fine. I got this."

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
hmmmm......if i could remember dhoni played a very gud knock in sa...giving us a good hope for a draw in sa first test!!!! But nicked to boucher!! didnt make many runs but showed glimpses he was returning to form!!!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Prior on the basis that I've seen him more in Tests and I'm therefore better placed to judge him.

I don't think I've really ever seen Dhoni play a crucial Test knock, but I'm not going to judge him harshly for that when you consider India's top 6.

Bun

Banned
Both are equal in batting skills. Maybe Prior a shade better. When you take wicketkeeping and captaincy into count, Dhoni takes it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I defo think this is a case where voting for your own guy is fair enough
I'm actually pretty convinced that Prior is the better batsman. Its close of course, but I'd say he is better in my view.

I personally feel Dhoni is the better keeper but that's again up for debate.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dhoni for the captaincy and awesome counter attacking skills while batting with the tail he showed years back in a test match. Haven't really seen a great deal of Prior.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Prior is the better bat in Tests...in a team I'd pick dhoni and make him captain but if I'm looking for someone purely as a wk/bat outside the SC, I'd take prior.