• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined XI

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A few of us did these in one of the threads in CC. Be interesting to see what people put now and then how they evolve as the series progresses.

Cook
Sehwag
Trott
Tendulkar
Laxman
Bell
Prior+
Swann
Khan
Tremlett
Anderson

Prior V Dhoni the closest call for me.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook
Sehwag
Trott
Tendulkar
Laxman
Bell
Dhoni+ (C)
Swann
Khan
Tremlett
Anderson

Howe_zat

Audio File
Interested in why people are picking Dhoni. For captaincy alone is a fair call, but I'd have Prior given his run scoring lately. Rest of it's straightforward.

Last edited:

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Interested in why people are picking Dhoni. For captaincy alone is a fair call, but I'd have Prior given his run scoring lately. Rest of it's straightforward.
yes Captaincy+Batting = Dhoni

For the case of only Batting = Prior!!!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A Prior-Dhoni thread could be an interesting read. Might as well make use of the subforum :p

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cook
Gambhir
Trott
Pietersen
Laxman
Bell
Prior
Harbhajan
Tremlett
Anderson
Zaheer

I'd have Sehwag, Tendulkar and Swann ahead of Gambhir, Pietersen and Harbhajan, but I'm going for who I think will have the better series and it'll be interesting to see how right I am in a couple of months.

Uppercut

Cook
Sehwag
Trott
Tendulkar
Laxman
Bell
Dhoni+ (C)
Swann
Khan
Tremlett
Anderson
Has to be something like this, really, not much to debate besides the keeper. Maybe you could find a way to shoehorn in Gambhir in place of Bell, but meh.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah,maybe Gambhir could sneak in ahead of Bell but that can upset the balance a bit.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
For Prior
Prior is (everso slightly) younger, has a better batting average, more hundreds in fewer games.

For Dhoni
11 662 people like the cricinfo profile of Dhoni whereas only 147 people like the profile of Prior :)

Daemon

For Dhoni
11 662 people like the cricinfo profile of Dhoni whereas only 147 people like the profile of Prior :)
The only statistical analysis that is capable of giving a definite answer to the Sachin vs Bradman debate; Sachin is 65.24 times as good as he was.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Inclined to agree with the Dhoni over Prior. Prior for mine still has a distinct weakness in his technique with the ball coming in to him, he manages to make hay when teams don't exploit this but I think Khan will be all over him this series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure that Laxman would get into my combined XI. If I were Australian I'd doubtless say different, but he's not done his best work against England so far. So I'd be looking at something like:

Cook
Sehwag
Trott
Sachin
KP
Bell
Prior
Swann
Tremlett
Khan
Anderson

Very tough on Gambhir whom I rate highly and who could score a bucketload of runs in the series.

Prior v Dhoni - I don't see much difference between them. Both are super on the field, but I've picked Prior because he's also smashing in the dressing room.