• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Combined XI

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Wow! Looks like we have a severely butt-hurt fan here. The same guy is trolling with different usernames, methinks.

EDIT: The troll comment wasn't for you, kingpin. That <insert English player's name>420 made a re-appearance. Looks like his/her/it's comments have been deleted.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Tempted to find a video of India collapsing at the hands of Shaun Udal. :p

That was a fantastic innings from Yuvraj. Guy's a quality player in his element. Of course, I'm struggling to see the relevance of a player who won't play making a score several years ago in the wrong format, but hey.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Advocating Yuvraj's inclusion in the test side is hardly nationalistic ,tbf .:ph34r:

It's something which the English fans should be doing.:p

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Advocating Yuvraj's inclusion in the test side is hardly nationalistic ,tbf .:ph34r:

It's something which the English fans should be doing.:p
I think Indian fans should reciprocate in kind by insisting on Broad's participation throughout the series. :laugh:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Not sure that Laxman would get into my combined XI. If I were Australian I'd doubtless say different, but he's not done his best work against England so far. So I'd be looking at something like:

Cook
Sehwag
Trott
Sachin
KP
Bell
Prior
Swann
Tremlett
Khan
Anderson

Very tough on Gambhir whom I rate highly and who could score a bucketload of runs in the series.

Prior v Dhoni - I don't see much difference between them. Both are super on the field, but I've picked Prior because he's also smashing in the dressing room.
based on the number of players from each side in the combined team, not at all apparent which the number one side in the world is!

the same argument against laxman could be used against prior, who hasn't exactly covered himself in glory against india.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yuvraj does have a stunning record against England in all formats TBF. I'd be just a wee bit tempted - only tempted, mind you - if there are some drastic failures at No. 6 early on in the series.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
here's mine at the start:

cook
sehwag
trott
tendulkar
bell
laxman
dhoni
swann
anderson
khan
tremlett

after 2 tests:

cook
gambhir
trott
tendulkar
bell
laxman
prior
bresnan
swann
anderson
khan

after the series:

cook
gambhir
dravid
tendulkar
kp
laxman
dhoni
bresnan
singh
anderson
khan

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yuvraj does have a stunning record against England in all formats TBF. I'd be just a wee bit tempted - only tempted, mind you - if there are some drastic failures at No. 6 early on in the series.
gtfo :p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd have thought smashing a second rate attack was the perfect preparation for Pietersen.

I wouldn't put him in my Combined XI yet either, but I'm highly confident he'll be there at the end of the series. He looked like Vintage Pietersen yesterday. I'd be hiding under the bed right now if I was an India bowler.

Bun

Banned
I'd have thought smashing a second rate attack was the perfect preparation for Pietersen.

I wouldn't put him in my Combined XI yet either, but I'm highly confident he'll be there at the end of the series. He looked like Vintage Pietersen yesterday. I'd be hiding under the bed right now if I was an India bowler.
I'll be honored if I was an English bowler... You don't get a chance always to bowl at one of the all time great batting line ups

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
based on the number of players from each side in the combined team, not at all apparent which the number one side in the world is!
Well I wouln't pick a combined team from the starting point of "which team is ranked higher?" Particularly given that these are two well matched teams, and the current number 1 team is playing away from home.

The bowlers (Khan, Anderson, Tremlett and Swann) pretty much pick themselves. I accept that a case could be made for Harbhajan.

Prior v Dhoni is a toss-up, but I'm biased towards the Sussex man and choosing him can hardly be regarded as unreasonable given his recent performances.

Which leaves the six batsmen. Things are skewed from the norm
by the ridiculous form that some of the home team's batsmen have been in. A year ago I wouldn't have dreamt of leaving out Gambhir or including Cook or Trott. But now Cook and Trott are impossible to ignore, and that means that there's no room for Dhoni. Bell is batting wonderfully, as well as anyone in the world right now. KP is debatable but seems to be in form and an in-form KP must surely get in.

Last edited: