• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Question is Simple...

Which team?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
I went for New Zealand squared.

Brendon McCullum (+)
Brendon McCullum (+)
Kane Williamson
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Jesse Ryder
Daniel Vettori
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Shane Bond
Iain O'Brien

One of the Shanes would surely be able to last a match.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I choose Bangers - that way I still get to see most of the NZ team in action. The other alternative was Aussie to make training the easiest.

Tamim
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Shakib
Vettori
Young
Southee
Third Seamer don't care who
Martin

Prediction Athlai to suggest some Bangers players I have overlooked.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was actually thinking pre-Ashes that New Zealand's best three* players would slot into Australia's lineup perfectly:

Oceania

1. Watson
2. Katich
3. Ponting
4. Taylor
5. Clarke
6. Ryder
7. Haddin
8. Vettori
9. Johnson
10. Siddle
11. Bollinger

This was of course before Hussey saved his career, Katich was dumped and it became apparent that Bollinger's general fitness had dropped to a such a level that he sent down regular pies. It probably wouldn't have fared much better in the Ashes at all given Hussey was one of Australia's very, very few success stories and Ponting/Clarke/Johnson/Bollinger all failed, but it seemed like a pretty perfect fit at the time.

*NB: Excludes Mathew Sinclair.

Last edited:

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Pakistan probably,they'll come up with the fast bowlers.We'll take care of the rest.PLus similar culture and language will help in team bonding.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The fact that no one is choosing England is actually a testament to how well they play as a team, and how balanced they are, more than anything IMO.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that no one is choosing England is actually a testament to how well they play as a team, and how balanced they are, more than anything IMO.
More of a testament to how much noone wants to have to cheer for England imo.

Spark

Global Moderator
England are a good team but they are good as a team and don't have the individual firepower of an Indian batting lineup or the Saffie pace bowling lineup. The only player who I'd consider the best at his position in the world would be Swann and that's a bit meh.

I'd go with SA definitely.
Anderson would make every side in the world. But yeah very much an integrated team.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

No one has chosen Australia either and only newbie has chosen India.

South Africa seem to be compatible with every team at the moment.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We're short on Saffa fans round here but who does everyone think they would benefit from?

Flem274*

123/5
I'd merge NZ with someone who can bowl and has an opener. Pakistan pre-banning would have been almost perfect.

Brendon McCullum
Younis Khan
Kane Williamson
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Misbah ul Haq
Reece Young
Daniel Vettori
Tim Southee
Mohammad Amir
Mohammad Asif

No Yousuf because I'm biased against him and with the flimsy excuse since we can't play in Pakistan all our home games will be in NZ, which means he'll get bounced out. Younis Khan opens because there is no one else and he is the most accomplished batsman in the side by a huge margin.

Kamran Akmal just misses out obv.

Flem274*

123/5
Doing it properly, I'd still take Pakistan.

Brendon McCullum
Taufeeq Umar
Younis Khan
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Misbah ul Haq/Kane Williamson
Reece Young
Daniel Vettori
Tim Southee
Umar Gul
Wahab Riaz

I was going to pick Australia but then I remembered Brent Arnel could make their bowling attack on Ashes form.:ph34r:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
+1

India/Pak vs Aus/SA would have been a treat to watch. Now that I think about it, they should organize such games, would make for some great quality Test cricket.
India+Pakistan from 1992 or so:
S. Anwar
V. Sehwag
R. Dravid
S. Tendulkar
I. Haq
V.V.S. Laxman
M. Dhoni*+
W. Akram
A. Kumble
W. Younis
S. Akhtar

Australia+South Africa from 1992 or so:
J. Langer
M. Hayden
R. Ponting
J. Kallis
S. Waugh*
A. Gilchrist+
S. Pollock
S. Warne
D. Steyn
G. McGrath
A. Donald

I think Aus+SA is slightly stronger.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
More than slightly. You're talking one of the very best teams of all-time topped up with two magnificent all-rounders and two fearsome quicks. No offence it's a no-brainer. The Aus/SA side would take a series comfortably.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
More than slightly. You're talking one of the very best teams of all-time topped up with two magnificent all-rounders and two fearsome quicks. No offence it's a no-brainer. The Aus/SA side would take a series comfortably.
True. But if we make it a team of 'those who played in 1992 or after' then things will become slightly more interesting. Aus+SA will remain unchanged. Ind+Pak will gain Miandad, Imran and Kapil (might drop Inzy, Laxman and Shoaib I think). Still, Gilly vs Dhoni and Warney vs Kumble will make the difference I think. Actually the Aus+SA team is almost a flawless team full of all-time greats, except the opening pair and perhaps Pollock.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
since i support/have supported/been partial to 3 teams, it gets a bit difficult.

in the era of west indian domination, i would have merged west indies and pakistan to produce

haynes
greenidge
richards
miandad
lloyd
khan
dujon
marshall
holding
garner
qadir

12: ambrose since he doesn't quite make the era