• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sangakkara was selfish to quit as captain !

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
He ditched the team when there was no other person to take the burden of captaincy unexpectedly when the team really needed a leader when Sri Lanka lost the WC Final. As captain he should have stayed on till there was a proper person to take over..he just quit purely for selfish reasons. That's not right as a leader.

A person is chosen to represent the country and that should be the highest honour any countryman should experience. On top of that he was the captain. He should make decisions which should be good for the team/country not him self.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Balls, you're right, I forgot that it's his unavoidable moral duty to prioritise Sri Lankan cricket over everything else in his life.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think, reading between the lines of more than one article written on Sanga's resignation, the great man wasn't entirely happy with the direction from above, as it were.

SL's selectors do seem to be pretty clueless as a whole.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
stupid comments, was expecting a bit more intellectual answers..
Charmed, I'm sure.

I was making a serious point; I think Sanga felt he couldn't carry on as captain with Sri Lanka being taken in a direction he didn't necessarily agree with.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Fair enough if that was the real case.

Still many think that he should have continued at least another year to groom another captain till then. Yeah you don't get exactly what u like in a working environment, We don't just quit simply cus there is a problem. If there was someone to take over i think its a decent decision. but not the way he dumped SL cricket in a dilemma just after a big loss.

Charmed, I'm sure.

I was making a serious point; I think Sanga felt he couldn't carry on as captain with Sri Lanka being taken in a direction he didn't necessarily agree with.

vcs

Depends on whether you consider it worth losing Sanga the captain to have Sanga the batsman at his best. Think it's an acceptable compromise.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That'd have to happen though.

Dravid quitting captaincy had no positive effect on his batting.

vcs

That'd have to happen though.

Dravid quitting captaincy had no positive effect on his batting.
Yeah, that's true. But surely that would have been the main reason behind his quitting captaincy.. that he couldn't deal with all the associated pressures of captaincy and tussling with the Board, selectors etc. without it starting to affect his own game.

shivfan

Banned
Also, when he's not captain, Sanga can play longer in the IPL....
:dry:
As the new captain, Dilshan had to leave the IPL earlier for the tour of England.

vcs

Also, when he's not captain, Sanga can play longer in the IPL....
:dry:
As the new captain, Dilshan had to leave the IPL earlier for the tour of England.
I wonder why we didn't think of this obvious explanation, staring us all in the face. Fortunately we have shivfan to show us the light. :dry:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The issue with Sangakkara leaving as captain was the fact they didn't groom Dilshan was vice captain when he was captain. They have Jayawardene as vice captain during his time.

Even this series they put Sangakkara as vice captain. Your never going to groom a new captain unless you give them a run as vice captain.

I have no problem with Dilshan as captain. I just think they need to look at grooming someone like Mathews, Tharanga or Paranavitana as vice captain. To move to put Kandamy as vice captain in the ODI series is good. But it should have been Mathews.