• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's play psychologist

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I have an interest in trying to determine the mental makeup of players by watching them perform on the field and through what they write and say in interviews.

What is fun is trying to figure out who is mentally tough and who needs a teaspoon of concrete.

So far I have:

NAILS

Steve Waugh
Stephen Fleming
Younis Khan
Jesse Ryder
Shane Warne
Rahul Dravid
Allan Border
Javed Miandad
Imran Khan
Shane Bond (I know some will disagree violently with this)

A BIT SUSPECT

Steve Harmison
Graeme Smith
Andre Nel
Shaun Tait
James Franklin
Glenn McGrath
Ricky Ponting
Kevin Pietersen
Sreesanth
Shaoib Akhtar

...any others?

Flem274*

123/5
Anyone who disagrees with Shane Bond being a tough bloke should try his daily exercise regime for when he got seriously injured.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah I love Jimmeh Franklin but the guy is a total flake. If he backed himself he'd be an incredible cricketer.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would add Shane Warne to the mentally tough. Possibly Dean Jones too (especially after reading about him in Matt Hayden's book).

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meh, can understand why McGrath is there. I wouldn't call him mentally weak, but the mere fact that he responded the way he did in the Sarwan incident shows you're able to get inside his head.

Poontang though, lol.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Meh, can understand why McGrath is there. I wouldn't call him mentally weak, but the mere fact that he responded the way he did in the Sarwan incident shows you're able to get inside his head.

Poontang though, lol.
Yeah I was thinking of the 'Brian Lara' incident.

Wasn't sure about Ponting because captains are usually tough, but he always seems to be on the verge of throwing a tantrum when I see him. And he has lost it a few times (TV set, arguing with umpire).

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I have always been intrigued by Marcus North.

One game, esecially when the pressure was mounted on him he would play Bradman-esque shots and bring up an almost effortless ton. The next game he would get out looking like a complete dill.

I just can't understand why.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I was thinking of the 'Brian Lara' incident.

Wasn't sure about Ponting because captains are usually tough, but he always seems to be on the verge of throwing a tantrum when I see him. And he has lost it a few times (TV set, arguing with umpire).
Ponting can have a temper on the field but I don't see him as being mentally weak. Pretty sure he would have been on the front page of the newspaper more times than our Prime Minister over the summer by some distance

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Ponting can have a temper on the field but I don't see him as being mentally weak. Pretty sure he would have been on the front page of the newspaper more times than our Prime Minister over the summer by some distance
Fair call. Yeah, I guess anyone following in the Allan Border/Steve Waugh tradition has to have it sorted out.

Spark

Global Moderator
I have always been intrigued by Marcus North.

One game, esecially when the pressure was mounted on him he would play Bradman-esque shots and bring up an almost effortless ton. The next game he would get out looking like a complete dill.

I just can't understand why.
Perfect example of why this armchair psychology is so horribly flawed.

Be as "mentally tough" as you like but if you have as many deep technical flaws as he does, it won't help too much.

vcs

Perfect example of why this armchair psychology is so horribly flawed.

Be as "mentally tough" as you like but if you have as many deep technical flaws as he does, it won't help too much.
AWTA. The importance of "mental toughness" is, in general, vastly overstated in sports IMHO.

Still,

Mentally tough :
VVS Laxman

Mentally suspect :
Sreesanth

salman85

International Debutant
Harbhajan could have a case for not being mentally tough.

Also,Inzi is worth a shout in the NAILS category.

vcs

Harbhajan could have a case for not being mentally tough.

Also,Inzi is worth a shout in the NAILS category.
Yep, he is a confidence bowler. Pick up a wicket early in his spell and his entire approach to bowling changes. Anil Kumble was a polar opposite in this regard. As a batsman though, Bhajji has shown some good application in recent times.

Inzamam should definitely be in. Dhoni, Bevan, Hussey also.

benchmark00

AWTA. The importance of "mental toughness" is, in general, vastly overstated in sports IMHO.

Still,

Mentally tough :
VVS Laxman

Mentally suspect :
Sreesanth
Nah I reckon it's underrated, in particular in test cricket.

Without wanting to understate Steve Waugh's talent, do you think he would have been as successful and effective as he was if he didn't have such a single minded nature?

And on the same token, do you think a wonderful stroke maker such as Damien Martyn would have been more successful if he was more stubborn? I certainly think so.