• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England The Real Deal?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will predict that the only chance of a 3-1 to either side is it being 2-1 going into last match and the side behind set a desperate declaration in vain hope of levelling the series.

2-1 to England is my prediction but think it will be a topsy turvy series as England can blow hot and cold.

biased indian

International Coach
Not denying he's threatening in swinging conditions, no Test bowler who averages what he does wouldn't be. But there's a big difference between 'threatening' and 'will take regular wickets'. He's not it and I don't think that'll change this series. I hope it does because there are rarely more beautiful sights than a swing bowler doing well in England (especially taking Cook's outside edge, the ****) but I can't see it.
he has been too good against left handed batsmen recently ..hope he at least just continue it

The Numbers Game: Anticipating Zaheer Khan v Andrew Strauss | Regulars | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To all those who say it doesn't matter if a win is by an innings or a run? Yeah, sure, it doesn't. BUT when you are comparing teams then these things surely become relevant.

Also, what the **** does England losing 5-0 four years ago have to do with how good a side we are now?

Some serious straw flying about.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
This thread is dire.

England losing 0-5 or winning 3-1 in vs Australia has nothing to do with how good a side they will be against India this year.

Just like India not winning a series in Australia upto 3 years ago or not dropping a single test in the last 6 encounters between them has nothing to do with how good a side they will be in England this year.

Just like how margins of victory against side y have nothing to do with an upcoming series against side x.

****ing e-penis.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
jacknife and howzat,

i am willing to accept that my reading of virtually nobody was not perhaps as intended; and was along the lines of "for all practical purposes" nobody... and i thought that that was inaccurate since the from the time the great australian team was disbanded, three decent teams have visited and two have won, with south africa being the one referred to by me. and before the era of the great australian team, the windies and england used to do rather well....the martin johnson can't bat, can't bowl, can't field lot being a rather nice example.

jacknife,
regarding the waning point that i had made before, i don't see how that wasn't what u said.... that there was no talk of australia being on the wane. but let's agree to disagree on that since there will be no changing of minds on either side from the sounds of it.

boybrumby,
interesting point about those who make their living from knowing who favourites are ie bookmakers. the assumption is that they are all acting rationally or at least more rationally than those who punt patriotically. sure. but, given the fact that they do get it wrong often enough, perhaps the opinion of some venerable hoary locked sage should be given equal weightage. many commentators - here the one that first comes to mind is the roundtable discussion with boycott and vaughan and chappell and someone else in the telegraph i think - showing that they gave asutralia very little chance of winning the ashes.
my memory might be askew but i am pretty sure that that was before the tests had started. in essence, the question is: whose opinion is more worthy when deciding if england were favourites or not before the ashes?

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
didn't we beat both Eng and SL by inngs to win 3-0. some time in 90's at home

.or are you saying to win in Aus ???
Beat England twice by an innings and once by 8 wickets in '92-'93 and SL thrice by an innings in '93-'94. I'm sure Australia must have done it a few times as well in their dominant era...

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
G.I.Joe WAG :notworthy

People need to stop wasting their time arguing over trivial things like past results because they aren't going influence the outcome of the series.

My prediction is 1-1

there will be at least 1 drawn game because of rain.

Bun

Banned
To all those who say it doesn't matter if a win is by an innings or a run? Yeah, sure, it doesn't. BUT when you are comparing teams then these things surely become relevant.

Also, what the **** does England losing 5-0 four years ago have to do with how good a side we are now?

Some serious straw flying about.
the 5-0 loss comparison has more merit than comparing india's perf in 07-08 to england's last winter.

atleast india lost to a no.1 team, while england basically beat a lower ranked no.5, fresh off a thumping by india and no longer invincible at home after being defeated by saffers.

I am not for one moment saying the english win in aus was not dominant or anything. but people talk as if it is the epitome of success. clearly it is not.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This thread is dire.

England losing 0-5 or winning 3-1 in vs Australia has nothing to do with how good a side they will be against India this year.
tbf the thread is entitled "Are England the Real Deal"? Which suggests that consideration of their recent performances is appropriate (as Martyn does in the article which this thread is about). It's not entitled "how will England do against India" and there's no reason why it should be limited to that (frankly slightly tedious) question.

But I fully agree that the thread is now officially dire.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
tbf the thread is entitled "Are England the Real Deal"? Which suggests that consideration of their recent performances is appropriate (as Martyn does in the article which this thread is about). It's not entitled "how will England do against India" and there's no reason why it should be limited to that (frankly slightly tedious) question.

Slightly? SLIGHTLY? Thats basically what CC is all about these days. :p

gvenkat

State Captain

It's hard to keep the discussion just to the lead post, without getting in to discussions about what happened in the past and what could happen in the future. What is so dire about discussing "England is the real deal" if they beat India...

And how did they become the real deal or how did the question even arise, based on past performances right? So what's wrong..

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not saying that the discussion shouldn't venture at all into "who will win in the forthcoming series". But we shouldn't think that's all the thread is about.

There is now thankfully a separate thread for that, which I intend to avoid...