• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Journalists in Cricket?

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Who would your top 5 regular cricket journalists be? Currently active. As well as in the past. And which newspaper do you think has the best stable of writers?

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
that's why wanted to separate the 'pure' writers from the journalists (who also might have a dash at a book or two), howzat.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Harsha Bhogle, Osman Samiuddin, Gideon Haigh, Jarrod Kimber and occasionally Chappeli.

I get most of my news from cricinfo...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gideon Haigh, obviously. Worth reading just for how well it's written.

And fertang.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Our own fred aside, Haigh & Frith are ahead of the pack for my quid.

More parochially Mike Selvey from The Guardian is invariably good value in a world weary and mildly sardonic way and The Telegraph's Derek Pringle is a much better wordsmith than he was cricketer.

& he's semi-retired and not specifically a cricket writer, but Frank Keating is an unmissable read. Brings 50+ years of sports journalism with him, but wears his accumulated knowledge lightly.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Not a fan of Selvey tbh. Maybe coloured by his appearances on cricket writers on tv and continue bizarre support for Prior in the ODI side

Bun

Banned
Haigh is brilliant with his words but his choice of meditation is repetitive, atleast that's the impression that I got from his last few cricket articlers. I can understand him being an old school chap with derision for IPL and BCCI but sometimes he ventures into stuff he isn't an expert in, wanting to look knowledgable, like Indian politics.

And most of his recent articles are aimed at invoking reactions from others rather than any attempt at constructive criticism. But I do acknowledge the seminal work he has done reg australian cricket and its history.

For me atm, Osman Samiuddin takes the cake easily. Harsha is pretty underrated as a chronicler. Aakash Chopra produces articles as staid as his batting was but still he and Bangar have provided a much needed 'for dummies' insight into Indian domestic cricket.

Apart from that I love the Hindu trio of Lokapally, Mohan and Shekhar, although the latter two rarely write anymore. Cricinfo writers like Monga, are pretty decent too.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Osman is brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Love me some David Firth and Christian Ryan as well.

Peter Roebuck is such a **** writer. Can't believe there are people who think he's good. Usually hate everything Ian Chappell writes as well.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Mike Atherton and Lawrence Booth are both pretty good too.

Neil Manthorp is South Africa is also OK.

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
love Jarrod Kimber and his balls blog.

Have time for Ian Chappel as well as long as he doesn't write about Shane Warne's captaincy.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Peter Roebuck is such a **** writer. Can't believe there are people who think he's good.
Tend to agree that Roebuck can write some garbage. He is capable of writing a decent article every 1 in 5 attempts, and I find myself always reading his articles either for the lol's or a for the hope of a decent opinion on cricket.

It is amusing that Roebuck is easily one of the better radio commentators in the game and yet be a horrid journalist.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tend to agree that Roebuck can write some garbage. He is capable of writing a decent article every 1 in 5 attempts, and I find myself always reading his articles either for the lol's or a for the hope of a decent opinion on cricket.

It is amusing that Roebuck is easily one of the better radio commentators in the game and yet be a horrid journalist.
Roebuck's book Great Innings was a good one I thought.

He's gone from describing the game into more the politics of it though, which is annoying IMHO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Roebuck's frustrating because he can turn a phrase, it's just rather unfortunate that 9/10 he talks absolute arsewater and is given to the sudden volte face, dependent on which way the wind of consensus blows.