Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Lord's Test for the Windies in 2012

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

No Lord's Test for the Windies in 2012

So this was mentioned in passing in the tour thread, but Lord's will only host one Test next summer as Cardiff has beaten it to hosting the West Indies Test that was going spare.

Heard a few people on BBC and Channel 5 saying how unfair this is to the West Indians that they won't get to play a Test at Lord's, and that Lord's should host two matches because it's the best ground.

It is the best ground in England, certainly of all the ones I've been too. But it does irritate me that there are three northern Test venues, hosting zero Tests this summer while London alone gets three. Of course, I'm juxtaposing separate issues there really but it all comes under the same umbrella.

What I'm asking is the following:

- Is it unfair on the West Indies that they don't get a Lord's Test or is that just life?
    - Should any ground ever get two Tests a year, regardless of stature?
    - Should there be measures to ensure Tests are allocated more fairly in terms of regions?
    - Is Burgey the biggest **** you have ever come across?
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    So this was mentioned in passing in the tour thread, but Lord's will only host one Test next summer as Cardiff has beaten it to hosting the West Indies Test that was going spare.

Heard a few people on BBC and Channel 5 saying how unfair this is to the West Indians that they won't get to play a Test at Lord's, and that Lord's should host two matches because it's the best ground.

It is the best ground in England, certainly of all the ones I've been too. But it does irritate me that there are three northern Test venues, hosting zero Tests this summer while London alone gets three. Of course, I'm juxtaposing separate issues there really but it all comes under the same umbrella.

- Is it unfair on the West Indies that they don't get a Lord's Test or is that just life?
    - Should there be measures to ensure Tests are allocated more fairly in terms of regions?
    - Not really. It's a shame for some younger players, but it's not a disaster for them, surely? Plus last time they came for a test series they completely took the piss, I don't feel massively charitable after that.
    - Yes, if there's a good reason, it produces good cricket, and lots of fans turn up.
    - Definitely, especially northern grounds. Playing in front of 200 people on a dead pitch at Cardiff is just stupid.
    - No, that's just mean.

Seriously, though, I'm a massive Lord's fan for many reasons. It's a shame they don't have two tests next year from my point of view because of all the grounds I've been to it's my favourite.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Good, Lords should only get 1 test a summer anyway with so many other grounds missing out. Especially in summers with 2 lots of 3.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    As lovely a ground as it is, since Lords installed its new drainage system the pitches have been absolute roads.

Cardiff can seriously **** off tho. It's not in England & I don't think we can stress that point enough, but it has rainfall to outstrip Old Trafford and an infinitely less sporting deck.

9 test venues is at least two too many.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    9 test venues is at least two too many.
    Totally agree there, and Cardiff can do one, no fans for a start.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Cant stand the Lords test these days, ROAD ROAD ROAD. May as well play the Lords test at Colombo or Antigua.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

The West Indies don't deserve to play Tests at Lord's.

- No, it isn't. They've played at Lord's twice in the last four years anyway, and cricket should be played for the benefit of the fans, not the players. Deal with it.

- No. What special stature does it really have, anyway? Lord's being the "home of cricket" is a phrase that seems to get knocked around pretty mindlessly. It isn't my home of cricket, I hadn't seen any cricket in London until this year. Most grounds are grateful to get one Test a year, seems odd that Lord's should expect two just because the MCC say so.

- Yes. Like I said, it should be for the benefit of the fans, and cricket has plenty of fans in the north. No Tests out of seven north of Nottingham this summer was a shocker.

- Hard to measure.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Was it unfair on West Indies that they didn't get to play at the MCG or the SCG when they toured Australia?

2 tests a year at Lords would probably have been acceptable when there were 6 or 7 grounds. The ECB have made their bed by looking to give all and sundry test cricket. Should be a minimum 2 tests a year shared between Riverside, Headingly, OT & TB, probably just between the Northern 3 at that.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Cant stand the Lords test these days, ROAD ROAD ROAD. May as well play the Lords test at Colombo or Antigua.
    well, almost a day's play was lost. 5 full days could would almost certainly have seen a result in this match.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    - Is Burgey the biggest **** you have ever come across other than me?
    fixed
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerfurball View Post
    the west indies don't deserve to play tests at lord's.
    pretty sure england still got to play at lords during the late 80s, 90s and early 00s
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    pretty sure england still got to play at lords during the late 80s, 90s and early 00s

I really don't care much whether the Windies play at Lords or not, because I believe that ground is highly overrated....

What I'm more concerned about is when this tour will take place. In 2009, the entire tour was played in May, and it was rubbish, seeing spectators shivering in the stands, WI players in sweaters, rubbing their hands from the cold, etc. I decided not to go to any match of that tour, because trying to watch cricket in those sub-human conditions was not something I would consider parting with my hard-earned money for - rather, I thought the ECB should be paying me to watch cricket in May!

I hope most of this tour in 2012 will be played in June, not May....

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Lord's the ground definitely isn't overrated.

It deserves a wicket to match its stature though.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Lord's the ground definitely isn't overrated.

It deserves a wicket to match its stature though.
    Yeah, agree with this word for word.

Are the problems with the wicket related to the new drainage system, or has it been longer than that?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information