• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Lord's Test for the Windies in 2012

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Putting a black mark over what should have been the most exciting series of the year by arseheadedly refusing to use UDRS is damaging to Test Cricket. Pretty simple.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England should just make sure that on the next tour India make here they don't play at Lords. That'll teach India for being ****s over UDRS.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Quite. it's not much, but the inevitable pile of tripe you always get whenever someone gets a crap decision always takes away from the enjoyment a bit for me. Certainly lowers the quality of discussion. Anything we can do to get rid of dodgy umpiring is a benefit to the game, so refusing to do so is lowering the game.

Bun

Banned
There are a thousand things that are more damaging to cricket, not using UDRS being hyped as the biggest threat to test cricket is so :laugh:

Perhaps these chaps need reminding there wasn't UDRS of any sort till 2008?? :unsure:

And perhaps there are a thousand things that BCCI are doing which deserve more scorn than rejection of UDRS.

Howe_zat

Audio File
There are a thousand things that are more damaging to cricket, not using UDRS being hyped as the biggest threat to test cricket is so :laugh:

Perhaps these chaps need reminding there wasn't UDRS of any sort till 2008?? :unsure:

And perhaps there are a thousand things that BCCI are doing which deserve more scorn than rejection of UDRS.
"Yeah, I know I keep poking you in the face, but I'm also stabbing someone else in the neck, so you can't have a go at me for the poking, can you?"

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
The UDRS is clearly one of the key issues in the game currently. In my time on CW, 90% of tour threads turn to **** only after an incorrect umpiring decision is made. Highlights the importance of the UDRS in Test cricket.

flibbertyjibber

Noble One is bang on, the improvements in the system from when it first came in are there for all to see too. I can't see how anyone can disagree with with it.

Last edited:

vcs

Agree.

vcs

England should just make sure that on the next tour India make here they don't play at Lords. That'll teach India for being ****s over UDRS.
Couldn't care less where they hold the Tests. Since I'm not the one attending, all I care is that the matches are good contests (and India win :p). India don't host all visiting teams at Eden Gardens and Chennai in every tour, in any case.

Bun

Banned
"Yeah, I know I keep poking you in the face, but I'm also stabbing someone else in the neck, so you can't have a go at me for the poking, can you?"
you wouldnt go on moaning for me being given capital punishment for that would you?

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
Couldn't care less where they hold the Tests. Since I'm not the one attending, all I care is that the matches are good contests (and India win :p). India don't host all visiting teams at Eden Gardens and Chennai in every tour, in any case.
iirc there was some uproar from english quarters when they weren't given stadia of their choice to play when they last toured here.

well, frankly it's the prerogative of home board to decide, and while almost all indian players would love to have a go at lords, I frankly don't think they'll be gutted if ecb doesn't schedule lords test for india.

and frankly that'll only make ecb look so childish in their response to this issue. ''look u bad big bcci, no lords test for ya, boooooo' :laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bun, what you say about there being no UDRS till recently is of course correct.

However, when things advance, we then hold higher standards. This is the case in all walks of life.

I'm learning to drive soon. Once I pass my test, I will be driving to work. Should I mistime my drive one day and arrive late, how do you think my boss would feel if my excuse was, "well don't forget that a few months ago I was getting the train and they were unreliable all the time!"

UDRS is there now. Talking about the time before it is not a relevant argument. Prior to technology, an umpire howler was one of those things. It was annoying enough when the technology was there and we weren't using it. But the fact that the technology is in use but the ****iest board in cricket refuse to sanction it ruins the game. Surely we all want the players deciding the outcome?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
iirc there was some uproar from english quarters when they weren't given stadia of their choice to play when they last toured here.

well, frankly it's the prerogative of home board to decide, and while almost all indian players would love to have a go at lords, I frankly don't think they'll be gutted if ecb doesn't schedule lords test for india.

and frankly that'll only make ecb look so childish in their response to this issue. ''look u bad big bcci, no lords test for ya, boooooo' :laugh:
Funny little world you live in mate. Has anyone other than you suggested that the ECB could refuse a Lord's Test on a tit-for-tat basis? If not, then keep right on chuckling at the :laugh:able childishness that they are displaying, but remember it's only in your imagination.

vcs

Bun, what you say about there being no UDRS till recently is of course correct.

However, when things advance, we then hold higher standards. This is the case in all walks of life.

I'm learning to drive soon. Once I pass my test, I will be driving to work. Should I mistime my drive one day and arrive late, how do you think my boss would feel if my excuse was, "well don't forget that a few months ago I was getting the train and they were unreliable all the time!"

UDRS is there now. Talking about the time before it is not a relevant argument. Prior to technology, an umpire howler was one of those things. It was annoying enough when the technology was there and we weren't using it. But the fact that the technology is in use but the ****iest board in cricket refuse to sanction it ruins the game. Surely we all want the players deciding the outcome?
Personally speaking, my outlook towards UDRS is pretty much "can't be arsed", always has been. I can take it or leave it. Maybe I've got too used to watching cricket without it.

I appreciate that there are other viewpoints on it though, and if you want to push strongly for it, then go ahead and make your voice heard. But I can't really get on board with the argument that not having it damages Test cricket.

Bun

Banned
Funny little world you live in mate. Has anyone other than you suggested that the ECB could refuse a Lord's Test on a tit-for-tat basis? If not, then keep right on chuckling at the :laugh:able childishness that they are displaying, but remember it's only in your imagination.
There you go

vcs

Anyway, I hope England don't use the lack of UDRS as an excuse when we inevitably win this summer. :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman

How exactly is UDRS not being around till 2008 relevant in any way? It has undoubtably improved the game by increasing the number of.correct decisions made by umpires.

India's beef with the system is based around Anil Kumble using the system like a moron in Sri Lanka. Their stupid objection will ruin the upcoming series because it's almost guaranteed that at some point there will be a game changing decision that's wrongly given, and all the discussion will be about a wrong decision rather than the quality of the cricket.

I don't see how that can be good for cricket - the fall out from Sydney is second to the spot-fixing scandal in terms of shameful incidents whilst I've been following cricket.