• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Lord's Test for the Windies in 2012

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So this was mentioned in passing in the tour thread, but Lord's will only host one Test next summer as Cardiff has beaten it to hosting the West Indies Test that was going spare.

Heard a few people on BBC and Channel 5 saying how unfair this is to the West Indians that they won't get to play a Test at Lord's, and that Lord's should host two matches because it's the best ground.

It is the best ground in England, certainly of all the ones I've been too. But it does irritate me that there are three northern Test venues, hosting zero Tests this summer while London alone gets three. Of course, I'm juxtaposing separate issues there really but it all comes under the same umbrella.

What I'm asking is the following:

- Is it unfair on the West Indies that they don't get a Lord's Test or is that just life?
- Should any ground ever get two Tests a year, regardless of stature?
- Should there be measures to ensure Tests are allocated more fairly in terms of regions?
- Is Burgey the biggest **** you have ever come across?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
So this was mentioned in passing in the tour thread, but Lord's will only host one Test next summer as Cardiff has beaten it to hosting the West Indies Test that was going spare.

Heard a few people on BBC and Channel 5 saying how unfair this is to the West Indians that they won't get to play a Test at Lord's, and that Lord's should host two matches because it's the best ground.

It is the best ground in England, certainly of all the ones I've been too. But it does irritate me that there are three northern Test venues, hosting zero Tests this summer while London alone gets three. Of course, I'm juxtaposing separate issues there really but it all comes under the same umbrella.

- Is it unfair on the West Indies that they don't get a Lord's Test or is that just life?
- Should there be measures to ensure Tests are allocated more fairly in terms of regions?
- Not really. It's a shame for some younger players, but it's not a disaster for them, surely? Plus last time they came for a test series they completely took the piss, I don't feel massively charitable after that.
- Yes, if there's a good reason, it produces good cricket, and lots of fans turn up.
- Definitely, especially northern grounds. Playing in front of 200 people on a dead pitch at Cardiff is just stupid.
- No, that's just mean.

Seriously, though, I'm a massive Lord's fan for many reasons. It's a shame they don't have two tests next year from my point of view because of all the grounds I've been to it's my favourite.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good, Lords should only get 1 test a summer anyway with so many other grounds missing out. Especially in summers with 2 lots of 3.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As lovely a ground as it is, since Lords installed its new drainage system the pitches have been absolute roads.

Cardiff can seriously **** off tho. It's not in England & I don't think we can stress that point enough, but it has rainfall to outstrip Old Trafford and an infinitely less sporting deck.

9 test venues is at least two too many.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Cant stand the Lords test these days, ROAD ROAD ROAD. May as well play the Lords test at Colombo or Antigua.

Howe_zat

Audio File

- No, it isn't. They've played at Lord's twice in the last four years anyway, and cricket should be played for the benefit of the fans, not the players. Deal with it.

- No. What special stature does it really have, anyway? Lord's being the "home of cricket" is a phrase that seems to get knocked around pretty mindlessly. It isn't my home of cricket, I hadn't seen any cricket in London until this year. Most grounds are grateful to get one Test a year, seems odd that Lord's should expect two just because the MCC say so.

- Yes. Like I said, it should be for the benefit of the fans, and cricket has plenty of fans in the north. No Tests out of seven north of Nottingham this summer was a shocker.

- Hard to measure.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Was it unfair on West Indies that they didn't get to play at the MCG or the SCG when they toured Australia?

2 tests a year at Lords would probably have been acceptable when there were 6 or 7 grounds. The ECB have made their bed by looking to give all and sundry test cricket. Should be a minimum 2 tests a year shared between Riverside, Headingly, OT & TB, probably just between the Northern 3 at that.

shivfan

Banned
pretty sure england still got to play at lords during the late 80s, 90s and early 00s
:laugh:
I really don't care much whether the Windies play at Lords or not, because I believe that ground is highly overrated....

What I'm more concerned about is when this tour will take place. In 2009, the entire tour was played in May, and it was rubbish, seeing spectators shivering in the stands, WI players in sweaters, rubbing their hands from the cold, etc. I decided not to go to any match of that tour, because trying to watch cricket in those sub-human conditions was not something I would consider parting with my hard-earned money for - rather, I thought the ECB should be paying me to watch cricket in May!

I hope most of this tour in 2012 will be played in June, not May....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Lord's the ground definitely isn't overrated.

It deserves a wicket to match its stature though.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
lords is the best english test ground for me though i found the oval with its gasworks background to be more evocative of cricket in england.
but i prefer the scg, adelaide, newlands and galle as charming grounds for watching the game. and the eden gardens, mcg and bridgetown (in its heydey) for real atmosphere.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
headingley. yeah, can buy that but the oval on a sunny day with king viv batting......

those were the days. those were the days.

Last edited: