• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My 'turn on the telly' XI

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
These are players who I have in the past turned on the TV specifically to watch. This is by no means a World XI although it's pretty good.

1. Sehwag
2. Afridi
3. Ryder
4. Pietersen
5. Lara
6. Cairns
7. Pollard
8. Akram
9. Younis
10. Bond
11. Martin

salman85

International Debutant
Can't really make a World-XI,since barring a few batsmen,most people that i've tuned into watch are bowlers.I'll just give the top 10 players in order :

1.Afridi
2.Amir
3.Waqar
4.Wasim
5.Shoaib
6.Umar Akmal
7.Ganguly
8.Brett Lee
9.Flintoff
10.Ajmal
11.Asif

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
These are players who I have in the past turned on the TV specifically to watch. This is by no means a World XI although it's pretty good.

1. Sehwag
2. Afridi
3. Ryder
4. Pietersen
5. Lara
6. Cairns
7. Pollard
8. Akram
9. Younis
10. Bond
11. Martin
Pretty tidy. I'd bung in Gilly to keep myself. One of the cleanest strikers of the ball I ever saw and one of nature's gentlemen too.

&, all due respect to Martin's compellingly brave ineptitude with the willow, I'd have to include St Kilda's blonde bombsite as another spinning option.

Jacknife

International Captain

1. Sehwag
2. Afridi
3. Ryder
4. Pietersen
5. Lara
6. Cairns
7. Pollard
8. Akram
9. Younis
10. Bond
11. Martin
Not bad, personally wouldn't have Ryder, Pollard or Martin in. Id have Flintoff, Jimmy, Steyn in, all those names, are really just of recent players. You could make one for each decade if you wanted.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tricky when you've watched the game for as long as I have but here's my best effort

Colin Milburn
Roy Fredericks
Viv Richards
Martin Crowe
David Gower
Ian Botham
Farokh Engineer
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Sylvester Clarke
Murali

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Tricky when you've watched the game for as long as I have but here's my best effort

Colin Milburn
Roy Fredericks
Viv Richards
Martin Crowe
David Gower
Ian Botham
Farokh Engineer
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Sylvester Clarke
Murali

Very impressive list! How watchable a batsman was Colin Cowdrey? Assuming that you watched him in his prime.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
............... and don't think I didn't notice you mentioned Denis Compton before the edit - even Burgey is not old enough to remember him

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
All players of the post-1999 period and I'm not going by their overall stature.

1) Daren Ganga
2) Marvan Atapattu
3) Rahul Dravid
4) Stephen Fleming
5) Mohammad Yousuf
6) Chris Cains
7) Adam Gilchrist
8) Shaun Pollock
9) Jason Gillespie
10) Allan Donald
11) Muralidharan

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
............... and don't think I didn't notice you mentioned Denis Compton before the edit - even Burgey is too old to remember him
Lol! :laugh: That's why I changed it. Figured that Compton would have been before your time. I always wanted to listen to someone's personal perspective of the man's batting.

EDIT: Just saw your D.O.B on your profile, sir. Should have seen that earlier! My Dad's about the same age as you and he has told me a lot of stories about the players of the 70s and the 80s. It's the 50s and 60s' players that I intend to gather some good second-hand info on!

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Test 11 for me, other cricket i can take it or leave it outside world cups or domestic cups.

Cook - Traditionalist and love an opener prepared to bat long periods.
Greenidge
Richards
Tendulkar
Lara
Pietersen
Gilchrist
Flintoff
Warne
Marshall
Ambrose

Burgey

............... and don't think I didn't notice you mentioned Denis Compton before the edit - even Burgey is not old enough to remember him
WAC...

Vaughan
Fredricks
Richards
G Chappell
Tendulkar
Lara
Gilchrist
Akram
Warne
O'Brien
Ambrose

Extended squad members: Alan Donald, Devon Malcolm, Darren Gough, Sehwag, Ponting, M Waugh, Dravid, Laxman, Shoaib, Murali, Steyn, Pietersen, Border.

Burgey

Lol! :laugh: That's why I changed it. Figured that Compton would have been before your time. I always wanted to listen to someone's personal perspective of the man's batting.

EDIT: Just saw your D.O.B on your profile, sir. Should have seen that earlier! My Dad's about the same age as you and he has told me a lot of stories about the players of the 70s and the 80s. It's the 50s and 60s' players that I intend to gather some good second-hand info on!
If JBMAC is about the place, he would have seen Compton I think.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Here's my attempt...

Michael Slater
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Viv Richards
Mark Waugh
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist
Ray Lindwall
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Dale Steyn

vcs

Sehwag
Gayle
Lara
Tendulkar
Martyn
Laxman/Flintoff (couldn't leave either of them out)
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Steyn
Bond

Teja.

Global Moderator
Slater
Vaughan
Sangakkara
Dravid
Azhar
Martyn
Boucher
Murali
Waqar
Donald
McGrath

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Hayden
Slater
Ponting
M Waugh
S Waugh
Martyn
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie
McGrath

the 2001 Ashes team for the first 4 tests. KILLER. Swap Slater for Langer, but i like Slats, his batting rocked.