• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen vs. Cook

Who will end up with the superior career?

• Total voters

Bun

Banned
both extremely overrated. expect cook to regress to mean arnd 43 44 avg, pietersen is slighly more talented so maybe he'll be up and running... cant see avging above 50 tho.

Spark

Global Moderator
KP fast regressing into hack territory. Hardly done - or more pertinently looked like doing - anything of use, one innings aside, for two-three years now.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Cook is just in good form. KP has class. He will end up being better after a few years.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
quite right, spark.

i should have prefaced it with the great man's statement, "not that there's anything wrong with that".

the thing about kp was that he was being talked about as if he was the next truly great batsman after a couple of years. yes, he was damn good then but the athertons of the world already had him pegged at the best in the world at that time....a time when ponting was in his pomp, kallis was doing superbly, sangakkara couldn't stop scoring 150s, etc.

and i like atherton...consider him to be a cerebral analyst. and enjoy his sardonic, laconic commentating too. an excellent duet with hussein.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's a good point. He's one of a few batsmen around whose records are still quite good who are either easily underrated or come in for undue criticism/unusual scrutiny simply because they were tagged as potential/future ATGs early in their careers.

Mind you KP really does have to start performing, and soon. I'd give him until the end of the season myself - or until someone not named Ravi Bopara is bashing the door down.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Remember SS said in 2006 that Cook would end up being better than KP when he first saw him. I was like WTF at time, but now I'm thinking that he might be right. KP has just been **** for so long now, he never looks like getting out of this awful form.

Spark

Global Moderator
yep, spark, part of it could well be an (over)reaction to the initial hyperbole.
He's not alone, but I think that now that for the most part the concern is warranted. Although maybe he should be given a bit more leeway having made 200+ not long ago, **** attack aside. He batted OK in the last two Ashes tests too.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KP is the more gifted player but Cook looks like having the greater overall career. Even when not looking great, still manages to score runs. KP needs to be in the flow to really do well so you'd imagine if it all gets too hard to motivate himself (being away from family, etc.), he'll just give it away.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I think Cook is psychologically more sound than KP, which will allow him to avoid the same kind of form slumps that KP is undergoing. Pietersen probably has more raw talent, though.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Averages may end up similar, but Cook is miles younger so he will end up with all the England run scoring records.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
might even end up with all the world aggregate run records if he plays for another 10 or 12 years.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As Spark observed, KP's double at Adelaide is probably his only meaningful contribution to tests for a couple of years now (he scored an 80 v Pakistan last summer in which he was put down 4 times and seemed to have a bat made entirely of edges), but he did look back to his majestic best during the T20 WC triumph. I know that will set all the anti-T20 crowd vomiting into their cornflakes, but it was classic, brutal Pietersen regards of format.

As to the Q at hand, I think it's one for the historians myself; in the here and now Cook would be selected first by just about everyone. Whether KP's malaise is mental or physical is hard to know; I kind of learn towards the former, but he had had to have ops for two pretty serious ailments of late. Flower and Strauss both suggested his hernia could've been managed until the end of the ODI WC but Pietersen chose to leave early. Neither seem overly given to airing dirty laundry through the fourth estate, so I think we can assume they were quite non-plussed by the decision.

I'd guess he has one test and the one dayers to come to find some semblance of form or else we might see him replaced, which would've been unthinkable a couple of years ago. One of Patel or Taylor (averaging 50 & 60 respectively for the season) to come in is my guess.